Has anyone tried Stevia?

Options
I've read a lot recently on the benefits of using natural sweeteners, especially Stevia. Does anyone suggest using this, or are there other natural sweeteners out there worth trying? TIA

Replies

• maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    I can't get over the aftertaste, but my best friend loves it. Truvia doesn't seem to have that same aftertaste to me, but it doesn't dissolve as easily, which is important to me because I'm mainly using it in iced tea.
  • sneezles
    sneezles Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    In use the sweet Leaf brand (liquid and packets) and don't notice an after taste. My DH who just recently went sugar free has been using it and says it's fine, no aftertaste.
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    I use pure stevia extract. No aftertaste, in my opinion. I guess it varies by person. I love it!
  • LivLovLrn
    LivLovLrn Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    a lot of it depends on what form the stevia you are using is in. I don't use it much because you use so very little of it and it is hard to substitute a few drops or sprinkles for a cup or so.
    The sweeteners I use are: Honey, Maple Sugar, and Soghum...depending on what I am making. The only thing I use Stevia for is hot chocolate. I use the liquid for that, and using a small amount doesn't affect the outcome.
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    I use a stevia concentrate - it's VERY sweet a little goes a long way. I like it, if you don't overuse it, I don't notice an aftertaste & it's closer to sugar in oatmeal I think. Aspartame gives me a headache, stevia doesn't
    One of my MFP friends has a stevia plant & loves it
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    I keep trying to switch to stevia but its tastes is just so odd to me. I keep thinking I'll be able to get used to it but I never do.

I might have to try some of the brands suggested.
  • littlemount
    Options
    Many times I used splenda for many years but I had a odd twitching of my eyelids while i was taking it I quit a few years ago in doing reseach i found out it had chlorination process which was bad . For the past 3 years i have been using stevia on and off no side effects noted by me it tastes good in coffee, starbucks, juices it is ok I have the individual packets.
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Hmm, I've only used the powder, which I dislike. Maybe I'll try the liquid, but it seems kinda spendy. I think there was a vanilla flavor I wanted to try.
  • Tiquella
    Options
    Stevia and Truvia are the best natural sweetners... I prefer Truvia... Also I heard you can use Agave in place of syrup.
  • cherryObebe
    Options
    I use a liquid Stevia by Wonder Naturals Sweetleaf that is flavored with vanilla creme in my coffee. It says to use 5-8 drops, but I only use 3-4. IT ROCKS! I did find if I used 6 drops it had an aftertaste. I don't taste that with 4 drops and it is still wonderfully sweet!

They have all kinds of other flavors too. Vanilla Creme, English Toffee, Chocolate, Cinnamon, Grape, Root Beer, Chocolate Raspberry, Hazelnut, Apricot Nectar, Berry, Peppermint, Valencia Orange, Lemon Drop... LOL I don't even know all of them! They have non-flavored too.

I have read that people put certain flavors in sparkling water as a substitute for soda. I have been wanting to pick up some of the root beer drops and give it a try! I am a HUGE fan of Stevia! I refuse to ingest artificial sweeteners. Personally, I believe they are toxic chemicals. Good luck! :happy:
  • juliesummers
    juliesummers Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I have carried a container of Stevia with me literally everywhere for the past six years.
    It's the only sweetener I use.
  • canadianchick11
    Options
    I think I'm gonna give it a try, thanks everyone!
  • cherryObebe
    Options
    Many times I used splenda for many years but I had a odd twitching of my eyelids while i was taking it I quit a few years ago in doing reseach i found out it had chlorination process which was bad . For the past 3 years i have been using stevia on and off no side effects noted by me it tastes good in coffee, starbucks, juices it is ok I have the individual packets.
    Stevia and Truvia are the best natural sweetners... I prefer Truvia... Also I heard you can use Agave in place of syrup.

Both Splenda and Agave are heavily processed... Stevia is a sweet leaf.
  • healthy4self
    Options
    I've tried to make myself like stevia, but I really just don't. Lots of people love it though
  • lori0287
    Options
    I have found the Trader Joe's brand to have the least "taste" which everyone is referring to. I use stevia to add sweetness to liquids. If I am baking, I use sucanat. Sucanat has calories, but seems to work equal to white or brown sugar, without stripping the body of minerals to digest it. Good luck on your sugar replacement pursuits.
  • bobbiec1015
    Options
    Just bought some Truvia packets today at the store. The cool weather will be here soon and thats the only time I drink coffee and I was looking for something to allow me the coffee, but with less calories. Hoping this will do it!
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options
    I <3 my Truvia packets. Perfect for my coffee in the morning. Much tastier than splenda.
    I don't notice an aftertaste, but I've rarely even noticed aftertaste with diet soda either.
  • sherry_augustine
    sherry_augustine Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I use KAL 100% pure stevia powder...haven't noticed an after taste like I did with other stevia products. I like my coffee and tea fairly sweet... it comes with a TINY scoop...and 2 scoops is plenty for about 20 oz of tea or coffee....so a little jar lasts a LOOOOONG time!

Sometimes I mix it with KAL xylitol...xylitol is a natural fruit sugar and disolves very easily...it has some calories (about 1/3 of that of regular sugar) but is still far better than artificial sweetners.

Truvia and Purvia are processed stevia with all but one compound removed, they also have additives...they are produced by Coke and Pepsi respectively...I stay away from both...
  • dorisholaway
    dorisholaway Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I used Truvia last December for the first time. We had a big snow on Christmas day and when this happens I love to make snow cream. I was trying to diet then also, so I made some with Truvia and then another batch for my grand children using real sugar. I had to taste both to be sure they were good and I could not tell the difference in either one. Now when I need sweetener I use the Truvia, although I don't use sweetener in many things.
  • Darkness2120
    Options
    I personally haven't ventured that route. So far I've actually seen one study showing that it lowers testosterone levels (being a guy and bodybuilder, not something I want). However I don't remember the dosage off the top of my head that they used. Just fyi.