What can I eat on the acid reflux diet?

Options
b2zg9mtbjd
b2zg9mtbjd Posts: 3 Member
I’ve been using mfp for 2 months now, lost 22 pounds from 263 to 241 by caloric restriction and weight lifting … started having a “pill stuck in the throat feeling” so my doctor referred me to a GI - I got a endoscopy done last Wednesday and I’m awaiting the results, till then I’m on the acid reflux diet which excludes sugar, dairy, gluten, even some fruits and vegetables. Wondering if anyone else is experiencing this or ever has, it’s not impossible just a pain in the *kitten*. My bloating has gone down a lot but I still feel the same sensation, next step might be food allergy testing.

Replies

• b2zg9mtbjd
    b2zg9mtbjd Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Kitten = bum
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    Options
    I developed reflux/heartburn suddenly, got some basic guidance on eating which didn't change much symptom-wise, and we eventually figured out I had an unusual gallbladder condition. (Unlikely to be true for you.)

IMU, what actually triggers reflux can be somewhat individual. If you cut all the things you've been told to cut, and symptoms subside, you can experiment with adding one thing back at a time, and seeing if symptoms return.

I'm guessing your test results will eventually provide some insight to underlying causes, though. There are other things (besides my weird gallbladder instance) that are treatable, and not triggered by food choices. For some people, weight loss reduces or eliminates reflux. For some people, eating more but smaller meals helps. For some people, raising the head of the bed reduces night-time reflux.

I'm sorry you're going through this: I know it's very unpleasant.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,461 Member
    edited July 2023
    Options
    Been there, done that, took every reflux pill known to man. Reflux, avoidance of, “pill in the throat” sensation, pain, it ran my life.

I can sincerely say, weight loss helped.

It’s almost completely gone now except for the rare bout. One thing I’ve noticed, if I fail to have a glass of water with a meal, that’s still a trigger. I never connected the simple act of “washing the food” down with the reflux until I lost weight and it became glaringly obvious.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,461 Member
    Options
    Btw, I started on an elimination diet very similar to what you describe, which was recommended by my doctor for years for reflux. If you friend me and send me your email, I think I can send you the PDF.
    It’s no longer available to the public on the medical institute’s website.

But it’s very basic- a two page plan.
  • PeachHibiscus
    PeachHibiscus Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Mine's a little different as I have Barrett's esophagus from a 10 year struggle with bulimia. Normally my GERD is controlled but if I do get a flare up, it's usually triggered by bad posture (like slouching) after eating, and/or, tight clothing, as both put pressure on my midsection.

On my last vacation I made the mistake of eating spicy barbecue then laying face down on a deck chair in a tight bikini top. Not smart.
  • TinaMarie4793
    TinaMarie4793 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with acid reflux a very long time ago. There really isn't a diet specific to it. People have different things that cause it to flare up. Some common foods for most are acidic foods. I have found that milk can actually help with that with temporary relief. For me I have found tomato products, coffee, chocolate, and raw vegetables are my issue. As long as I take an over the counter Prilosec daily I am golden. If I skip it for a couple of days I'm hurting because I love my coffee and raw veggies. Best of luck to you!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,525 Member
    Options
    Consult your own gastroentrolegist to find out. Everyone is different.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • TexasTallchick
    TexasTallchick Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I would highly recommend speaking to your gastro doc about this. Everyone's triggers are different, so you need to figure this out for you particular needs.
  • roseeudicot
    roseeudicot Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Most of my family has gerd/acid reflux, and the solutions for all of us are all somewhat different. My mom is triggered by spicy foods, and eating way too late, as well as not eating on time. My sister's is due to dairy,alliums, and coffee. She's also had the pill stuck in throat feeling. Sticking to mostly greens and lean meats, and reducing midnight snacking have mostly helped as well as using a wedge pillow, and sleeping on her left (?) side. For me, mostly the trigger seems to be due to eating too late, and excess carbs(doesn't matter if it is good carb like oatmeal). Time restrictive eating seems to have helped a lot (10-6, though sometimes it is later). It just seems that the earlier I eat before I sleep the better. I need at least 6 hours of digestion time before I go to sleep.
  • updereh
    updereh Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I also suffered with 'blockage' while eating and had to take a drink with every bite of food I ate to avoid a feeling of suffocation. I was diagnosed with a scarred esophagus. Basically, the opening gets scarred ( mine was from heartburn while pregnant) and stops flexing to allow the passage of food. I had my esophagus opening stretched, and it has made a BIG difference. The surgeon did advise me that because it was so badly scarred, I may need to have the procedure a second time, and he was right. Six months later, he stretched it again, and now, three years later, its still fine BUT I do get heartburn easily if I eat before laying down, or bending over too much ( weeding the flower beds) The heartburn does get better when my weight is down..so, here I am again, counting calories.