Today I ate 1910 calories
If I burn 530 calories
Will I still loose weight or do I need to burn more from Yesterday

Science it's the same calories

Replies

• tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,672 Member
    Options
    Daily fluctuations are water. Look at longer term differences for actual fatloss
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,553 Member
    Options
    DON'T expect to lose weight everyday. Some days you may stay the same or even gain a pound because the body fluctuates.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • flower3326
    flower3326 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    DON'T expect to lose weight everyday. Some days you may stay the same or even gain a pound because the body fluctuates.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

If I ate the same calories for 2 days is there a chance I can still loose weight
    Or do I have to something different
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,023 Member
    edited July 2023
    Options
    9285851.png[/url]
    [/quote]

If I ate the same calories for 2 days is there a chance I can still loose weight
    Or do I have to something different [/quote]

When you enter your current weight and desired weight into the app, how many calories does MFP ask you to eat each day? Eat that much. And give it time. LOTS of time. You may even gain that 1 lb back tomorrow plus some, but if you are sticking to the # you were given, long term you should be golden.
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,672 Member
    edited July 2023
    Options
    flower3326 wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Review your progress or lack of it at 5 weeks. Adjust accordingly. There are many mistakes possible with the MFP equation and also calorie counting and tracking on your end may be off.

Your overall weekly calorie amount is the number to look at as daily amounts will vary.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,689 Member
    Options
    You spend calories every day. This number changes depending on your activities. Not just exercise but everything including your environment.

You take in calories every day. It is very improbable that you will take in the same amount of calories exactly every day.

Your body also has some "slack". It can dynamically adjust to a small extent how many calories you're using up depending on what's going on in your life. Going on could be anything from basking in the sunshine to being stressed out of your mind to having a good time to having an injury or an illness. To eating at a deficit or overage in recent memory. To even the timing of food intake and exercise. There is SOME adjustment in terms of calories that get burned. And it is probably not enough to worry about it too much in terms of the big picture, especially in the beginning.

You also have measurement errors that are not related to your fat level. Every time you get on your imperfect scale that is imperfectly setup on your imperfect floor you also add in the effects of a variable amount of poo and pee and unprocessed food that is floating around in your body. As well as the water or coffee you drunk. Or the too many diuretics you took. Or the too much sodium you consumed the previous day without ever realizing it while eating that nice soup or restaurant meal. These measurement errors obscure your weight today. But they can't obscure your weight trend once you've taken a good enough number of observations of your weight over time.

Regardless of all that. Every day your overall calories "in" are less than your overall calories "out" the difference has to come from somewhere.

That somewhere is stored energy. Stored energy could be one of many in the short term (f.e. glycogen in addition to fat). But long term that stored energy can only come from your fat reserves. And when that happens you will lose some stored of your stored fat and your weight trend will head downwards!

Eat a variable amount of calories such that you have a reasonable deficit based on your daily expenditures. You can't drive 1000 miles on a single tank of gas. So yes, you do have to reasonably fuel your activity by keeping your deficits reasonable! Do so for a good and long amount of time. Evaluate your results based on your weight trend over that longer period of time.

Two to three weeks would be the minimum timescale for someone who doesn't have the potential for hormonal water retention in their life. Four+ weeks including at least one complete cycle would be the minimum for someone who does.

See if your results more or less match what you expected to see based on your logging. Adjust as necessary. Win!
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I ate 1910 calories
    Burned 530 calories
    I lost 1lb

Today I ate 1910 calories
    If I burn 530 calories
    Will I still loose weight or do I need to burn more from Yesterday

Science it's the same calories
    Maybe, if your maintenance level is 1910-530+3500, i.e. 4880. Which is highly unlikely.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,553 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

DON'T expect day to day losses. Your body will do what it wants to do even if you eat in calorie deficit. Some days you'll go up, some days you'll go down but overall it's the TREND DOWNWARD in a month that matters.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,516 Member
    edited July 2023
    Options
    @flower3326 you've got many similar posts over the last two or three weeks, and have received much good and caring advice from experienced users.

I’ll be the first to say I was confused and lost at first. It’s not easy settling down, but you need to absorb some of the great advice people have given you and take the time to learn the calorie counting process so it will work for you.

You either need to slow this whole thing down and do it rationally, with less panic and frenetic drama, or seek help from your doctor or a dietician.

No good is going to come from this. You’re ricocheting like a pinball. This is not a healthy path, and we all want you to be healthy.

Hugs to ya, baby.