Too much sugar

Options
I go over on sugar everyday but I feel it’s mostly from fruits. Is this okay? Any other suggestions on how to cut sugar in general is appreciated.

Replies

• MovinNow
    MovinNow Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I have stopped using regular sugar (in coffee, on oatmeal) and having been using granulated monkfruit sweetener instead. Some stevia in things occasionally, but sometimes stevia has aftertaste to me.
    As far as fruit goes, google “fruits low in glycemic index”, to see which ones convert to glucose more slowly, and leave you feeling more satisfied over a longer period of time (they don’t spike your blood sugar)
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    edited July 2023
    Options
    Sugars in fruit have fiber attached and nutrients, so better. As far as whether that's good, is individual. The average American consumes 2lbs of added sugar a week, if that's you, then it's not ok. imo. Cheers
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,741 Member
    Options
    If you're within your calorie goal, getting enough protein and healthy fats, plus plenty of veggies for micronutrients and fiber, but your sugar total is high from fruit (or no-sugar-added dairy, and that sort of thing), you're fine, in weight loss and nutrition terms.

Too much added sugar - in stuff like soda/pop, sugar-sweetened coffee drinks, baked goods, candy, etc. - is not good. It's almost impossible to both stay within reasonable calories and get reasonable nutrition when eating lots of high-added-sugar, low-nutrient foods like that. (A little of those foods is probably OK, if calories and other nutrition are in line.)

While I was losing weight, I went over my MFP default total sugar goal every day, when the only added sugar I ate was a bit in one daily 30-calorie tablespoon of all-fruit spread (containing a little concentrated apple juice, which is technically added sugar). The other sugars were from fruits, some veggies, and no-sugar-added dairy foods like skimmed milk and plain nonfat Greek yogurt. I lost weight just fine. All my health markers improved (blood tests and whatnot).

Reducing added sugars can be a good thing, if they're high. Having inherent (not added) sugars on the high side while getting appropriate calories and enough protein/fats/fiber/micros - that should be fine.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    Another option is low carb.

This strategy removed all refined sugars and the products they're associated with, which are pretty much every UPF there is. Protein and fat are essential and fat is the main energy source for low carb. There are no requirements for dietary carbohydrates simply because the body makes it's own carbohydrates through a process called gluconeogenesis and in the correct amounts. Seafood especially fatty cold water, and oysters, muscles etc. is what generally predominates my plate with mostly game animals like venison, rabbit, lamb and of course beef and chicken and eggs of course. Supplement this strategy with as much cruciferous vegetables and greens as you want, there is no limit as well as some select nuts and seeds, almonds rock, and pumpkin and sunflower seeds do work as well. I suggest staying away from refined seed oils and use EVOO and avocado oil and coconut oil. I also use MCT oil for some occations.

As far as dairy products are concerned I consume high fat goat and sheep yogurt and love cheese and mostly raw and unpasteurized and I stay away from anything where someone though taking the fat out was a good idea. I don't drink cows milk. I consume berries once in a while and in season, which is now. Generally I whip up some heavy cream and shave some dark chocolate for dessert.
  • kgideon305
    kgideon305 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    kksmith75- I too have an issue with this. I need to be able to delineate added and natural sugars because of a heart condition. While I don't eat an overabundance of sugar in general, I do want to quickly see what my numbers are, kind of like saturated fat from the rest. Does this program do that? Can anyone explain why not? I am confused on how many sugars a day are acceptable except that the AHA recommends no more than 30g a day. I can't eat any added sugar if that number includes ALL sugars. Anyone know the finer points of the sugar topic?
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,672 Member
    edited July 2023
    Options
    kgideon305 wrote: »
    kksmith75- I too have an issue with this. I need to be able to delineate added and natural sugars because of a heart condition. While I don't eat an overabundance of sugar in general, I do want to quickly see what my numbers are, kind of like saturated fat from the rest. Does this program do that? Can anyone explain why not? I am confused on how many sugars a day are acceptable except that the AHA recommends no more than 30g a day. I can't eat any added sugar if that number includes ALL sugars. Anyone know the finer points of the sugar topic?

MFP is primarily just geared to calorie counting/weight loss. Chronometer tracks saturated/unsaturated fat along with other nutrients. If you're more interested in the nutritional aspect of food, you may want to check that out. As far as added sugars... your best assumption is probably to avoid ultra-processed foods and check the back of the packages and write it down to track how much added sugars your eating... sometimes you just gotta go old school.
  • candylilacs
    candylilacs Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    kgideon305 wrote: »
    I am confused on how many sugars a day are acceptable except that the AHA recommends no more than 30g a day. I can't eat any added sugar if that number includes ALL sugars. Anyone know the finer points of the sugar topic?

The AHA confuses the topic by turning it into a number -- 30g a day. I bet you're beating yourself up over 32g, am I right?

The average plum (when it grows in season, which it is now) has 7 g of sugar (8g of carbohydrate) a day. Brussels sprouts are 2.2 g of sugar a day ( 9 g of carbohydrate). You have to have a book on it!

Where you aren't seeing sugar is in the bread you're buying and commercially produced desserts and snacks. Ritz crackers added 3 g of sugar to every serving (and you're getting about five crackers.) That's 10 servings, 30 g of sugar, earning your AHA recommendation.

xh1in1g6b2xi.jpg

There a link between diabetes and heart health. Get to a doctor now and get your
    results -- triglycerides, LDL, HDL, and VLDL. Too many you have to take some precautions, but if you're not in the weeds, you have some leeway to discuss with your doctor.

• nsk1951
    nsk1951 Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    It's kind of important to know WHY you are trying to limit sugar. The answer would probably have a lot to do with how you answer that question.