my throat hurts after i swallow food/drink?

Options
This is making it very painful to eat/drink anything,....

what should i do whilst waiting for this to go away?

Replies

• skinnnyxoxo
    skinnnyxoxo Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Try drinking warm tea.
  • moushtie
    moushtie Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    If you're struggling to swallow anything... to the point of barely eating at all.. I recommend jelly and icecream :)

Some throat sweets have slight anaesthetic effects, as well as those with antiseptic in them. If you can't get hold of those, try putting some honey in warm water and sipping it. You could put the honey in a herbal tea if you wanted.
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    If you have any swelling/mild fever/it is sore throat pain causing swallowing issues... consult a doctor. I've battled strep more than once and it can be quite sneaky.
  • KitCatMcG
    KitCatMcG Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I find hot soup helps. Sometimes the burning makes the soreness feel better (this is based on nothing medical of course! Just what works for me). I would also go the icecream and jelly option!
  • jeffsgal105
    jeffsgal105 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Salt water gargle.
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Depends on what's causing the pain. If it's severe, please contact your physician or a clinic for medical attention. Make sure it isn't strep (feels like a wad of bubble gum in throat, may see white bumps) or something else.

Otherwise, there are some throat numbing sprays you can get. Sip on a shot of vodka/rum/tequila/et cetera to numb it?

Hot toddy! (Tea and whiskey, with some lemon)

Feel better!
  • Edestiny7
    Edestiny7 Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I love to drink frozen slushy type things when I have a severe sore throat and can barely swallow. It helps ease the pain temporarily. Something like orange sherbert with Sprite works. You should see a doctor though, because strep can cause permanent problems.
  • Daisy374
    Daisy374 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    Hot toddy! (Tea and whiskey, with some lemon)

^^ I did this with the last bad cold I had and it worked great!! But added honey to it too...
    Just hot tea with lemon and honey will feel good too...

If it doesn't go away in a few days, it would probably be good to see a doctor...

Hope you feel better!!
  • Ritamas2
    Options
    Honey is very soothing to the throat..you can have it in hot tea
    or just take a teaspoon of it! Hope you feel better real soon :frown:
  • dbecker70
    dbecker70 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    When ever anyone in my family has a sore throat or the flu, We go straight for the tea with:
    1 cup hot water
    2 teaspoons honey
    1 or 2 if you like teaspoon fresh lemon juice
  • Forensic
    Forensic Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Tea with honey... or chloroseptic spray...

But those only treat the symptoms, not the cause. Do you have a head cold that's draining into your throat? Are your lymph nodes swollen? Strep Throat? Tonsilitis? Thyroid troubles (cysts, benign tumors, etc)? Figure out the cause, don't just treat the symptoms. Some of those are actually quite serious.
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options
    I'm going to agree with hot tea with honey. I'm not a big whiskey fan, but a bit of some in the tea actually helped too.
    I drink a lot of warm drinks when my throat is sore, coffee, tea, hot cocoa.
    And, of course, tests have proven that chicken noodle soup actually makes you feel better.
    I hope you feel better soon!! I feel like I've been battling one cold after another since the kids started school :(