advice for losing the last 5 pounds

Options
so I did a bunch of research and learned that the last little bit of weight that I want to get off, it is called vanity pounds. I hesitate to even post this because I’m sure I’ll be judged, but I am just curious as to what people recommend once you have reached a weight loss plateau. I’m at a very healthy weight right now and by going 5 pounds lighter I will be on the lowest end of what is considered healthy for my age and height. I kind of just half out at the same poundage, and I’ve kind of just gone up and down by a few pounds but it’s really hard for me to get down his last 5 pounds and keep it down. Should I just be doing lots of weight training and cardio ? thanks in advance :)

Replies

• sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,612 Member
    Options
    Weight training and cardio probably isn't going to do it for those last few pounds. It generally takes really close calorie counting (as in, obsessive in counting every single bite of every single gram of every single ingredient of every single food that goes in your mouth.) It's a challenge, but it can definitely be done.
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,014 Member
    edited July 2023
    Options
    I am also doing 5 vanity pounds. I am not weighing myself often (twice a month) because my deficit is fairly small (200-300 cals) but I am doing some HIIT training via videos at home and lifting weights a few times a week. For me it’s not about the scale so much as two specific pair of pants I want to wear again. It’s possible my weight will stay the same but my body will change shape a tad — and that would be fine by me too.
  • zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    you could try a little exercise cycling per day - a little more if you're already doing it. losing 5 pounds is basically eating 17,500 than you burn, either through exercise or day-to-day living, and if you cut 250 calories off your daily food or exercise bike say 20 minutes per day - not furious pedaling, just regular riding - and don't eat more, you should lose it easily.

except!

that if you build leg muscles over time bicycling, you'll put on some weight that is muscle, not fat. that won't happen fast, but keep that in mind.
  • BeanieBean93
    BeanieBean93 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Those last few lbs will be hard to lose in that you'll need to be strict with your intake and be logging to a tee. I'd be logging every fruit, vegetable, condiment, drink etc. Seems extreme, but that'll be the way to get your body to let them go.

Just something to consider - the last 5 lbs which might be very hard to lose may also be very hard to keep off. If you're up for a lifestyle of watching what you eat, avoiding indulges, skipping outings and adhering to a calorie limit, then you can probably keep them off. But you might find that the lifestyle sacrifices aren't worth those few pounds.

If it's an aesthetic goal, would you benefit more from a change in exercise routine? Looking for more definition, leaner mid section, leaner legs/arms/face etc? If so, maybe getting with a trainer and doing a very slow recomp would help your goals. If you eat at maintenance but add in some regular weight training your shape and overall look can change.

I don't judge you for either, btw. I think we live in an aesthetic world and looking good lends to feeling good, and humans want to feel good in their skin. I think it's normal and I give you kudos for not settling when you don't feel happy yet.
  • TanyaHooton
    TanyaHooton Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I hear you on the vanity pounds. Some years ago I started at 167 a goal of being in the middle of a healthy BMI, around 133-135. When I got close, I started dreaming of 124 lbs, which is a 20.0 BMI, which is the lowest possible appropriate BMI for an adult woman of my height, according to my doctor. But I never made it there. I got down to 130 a few times, and I saw 129 flash on the scale at the very start of the pandemic because I was so anxious and I was not eating, but unfortunately some months later, depression kicked in and I gained (so here I am once more).

My conclusion is that losing those vanity pounds takes a serious amount of willpower. I think your calorie logging has to be so tight that is squeals (to paraphrase another MFPer on here). I think you should always overestimate your calories and underestimate your exercise. I think you have to be content with going at the rate of 1 lb per month instead of 2. And I think you have to be aware that it's just going to be very hard, and people might accuse of obsession - even though you kind of have to be to get that far - and also acknowledge that willpower is a muscle like any other and it can get weak with overuse. Best of luck to you! It's definitely an accomplishment to get there.