Warning TMI: Menstrual Weight

Options
Hello!

Asking for a friend.
(I’m the friend 🙋🏻‍♀️)
Is false weight gain possible due to bloating and other things related to a period? I’m fluctuating a 2-4 pound gain throughout my period and don’t know if this will stay once I’m done, or will everything is going to go back down???

Replies

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    It usually goes down once "that time" is over.
  • knotmel
    knotmel Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    100% possible. Just to warn you, some people observe the same during ovulation. It’s a good reason to wait a full menstrual cycle before evaluating your weight loss rate and making adjustments. Hang in there!
  • alexhomeandcoffee
    alexhomeandcoffee Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    @DancingMoosie @knotmel thank you both!!!
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    totally totally normal. i never weigh myself that week.
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Ohhhh yes. I turn into a little water balloon and i feel very bloated - everywhere. My clothes get tighter (it’s not just my tummy which bloats but I seem to hold water every where) and I “feel” fat. Then it goes after my period. I don’t bloat during ovulation, but as I’m in perimenopause my cycle is erratic so I resemble a puffer fish at odd times.
  • TanyaHooton
    TanyaHooton Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's quite normal. I lost 37 lbs over 9 months a while back and learned that, specifically for me, my weight is highest of the month on the Sunday my actual flow starts and the lowest of the month on the Sunday after it ends. Tracking this helped me keep perspective (and emotions in check) if I stepped on the scale and weight was up because I ate so much yesterday because I was PMSing.

Also, no need for this to be TMI. It's just about bloating and weight gain/loss that can affect 50% of the human population, not an actual description of bodily fluids on a specific day.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,461 Member
    Options
    I think the TMI warning is for the other 50%

When my girls used to want to aggravate their father, they’d start chanting “Tampon! Tampon! Tampon!”

Never failed. He’s clap his hands over his ears and flee the immediate area.