walking 38644 steps weight gain

Options
ive just started a new job this week its pretty physicial with involves a lot of walking for 2 days in a row i have walked 38644 steps 22kms i just weighed myself and i have put on weight 1kgs i thought doing a lot of walking makes you loose weight could i have put on muscle instead of body fat? i know its early days yet as ive only worked the last 2 days i work again in a few days and will be doing more walking. my diet is on point and i have lost 30kgs since november 2022.

Replies

• amberfoxglove42
    amberfoxglove42 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi! I’m a hiker and runner and have noticed the next day after a long hike or running a race I always seem to gain. It always comes off in another day or two. I think it’s water retention.

Hope that helps!
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Definitely not muscle...that doesn't happen in 2 days...or 2 months.
    It's water retention from muscle repair. Drink water, be patient, and it will level off soon.
    Just know that it's not fat gain unless you are way over on your calorie count.
  • mgarrett1985
    mgarrett1985 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    i burnt 1628 calories yesterday so i know now its not fat gain and i didnt consume over
  • ikalujny
    ikalujny Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Its water my man. Work that job for half a year and watch your physique change :smile:
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,652 Member
    Options
    Water retention not fat gain. However, if you continue at the level of activity only some of it may come off near term. Again though, it is not fat that has been gained. if you become less active again you will lose that extra weight. But again... it won't be fat you will have lost.

is that 38K a day or per two days? That's well above the mfp maximum activity level. So you are hopefully eating at least some of it back. And by some we are talking quite a lot if you're into the 35K+ a day.

Are you using a device (watch, fitbit, etc) or straight up MFP? If you're just using MFP, have a look at your sedentary to very active caloric difference (delta) at your weight/age/height/etc. You're probably about that much OVER the very active level when you're hitting the 35K mark... and that's already taking into account increased efficiency and a reduced burn as activity gets to be over the top.

If nothing else eating to fuel that burn will introduce extra content in your digestive track... also increasing scale weight but not fat reserves!

Exercise and activity good. But not always immediately scale friendly!