Best shoes for running

Options
I have been trying to get more cardio in and was wondering if anyone had suggestions for good running shoes. Your input would be greatly appreciated.
Tagged:

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Your best bet is to go to an actual running store. They will analyze your gait and fit you for shoes appropriate for your gate. For example, I supinate and when I first was running I had a pair of shoes that corrected for overpronation which made my supination worse and caused all kinds of pain and other issues. I need a neutral shoe.

They will also bring out several brands of shoes to try...pick the one that feels the best to you. Everyone is going to have a different preference. I prefer Brooks while my wife prefers Hoka.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,686 Member
    Options
    I agree with CWolfman - you need to go to a good running store and have someone fit you for shoes that fit your feet and the way you move. I have wide feet, so what works for me might not work at all for you. I also like a lot of cushion, but that doesn't work for everyone. I have worn Brooks, Asics, Sauconny, and New Balance at different times. New models can change the fit so every year I have to try on shoes from scratch if I can't find any discontinued models.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,668 Member
    Options
    I find that New Balance has been the best fit for me. I had plantar faciitis for a while and other shoes would make it hurt more when I ran. I've been running in these for over a year now and no issue. I ONLY wear them when I run on the treadmill so there's very little wear cause they are expensive.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Saro1909 wrote: »
    I have been trying to get more cardio in and was wondering if anyone had suggestions for good running shoes. Your input would be greatly appreciated.

In terms of quality you can't go wrong with any of the major brads like Mizuno, Asics, New Balance, Nike, Adidas etc but each company's shoe can be very different in terms of suitability for your needs.

As has been previously suggested your best bet is to go to an actual running store if there's one available locally and have them analyze your gait.

If there's not a specialty store avoid the temptation of ordering shoes online (at least until you've found shoes that work for you). Go to your local sporting goods store and try on as many shoes as you can (buy at least your first pair there, I prefer to support local businesses) and base you selection on fit and comfort over everything else.

I've been using both Mizuno Wave Riders and Asics Gel Nimbus (injury free but I'm not running the same volumes I was 10 years ago) for over 15 years and ordered a pair of the newest iteration of the Gel Nimbus only to find that they'd changed the shape of the toe box slightly and I needed to go up a half size. FWIW my prefect show would be a Mizuno Wave Rider upper on an Asics Gel Nimbus sole.

• rcdandridge
    rcdandridge Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Not a suggestion on shoes but take care of your foot strength. Do a lot of bare foot training… like foot and arch work. Spread your toes and roll arch on a hard ball
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    Options
    All the major brands qualify as "good running shoes" these days.

@cwolfman13 gives great advice, which is to go to a smaller running store and get help with the selection process. Even with that, it may take some experimentation.

@rcdandridge gives very controversial advice. If I were a younger person, I might experiment with barefoot or minimal shoes. Now I find that I need good support and padding, which any standard running shoe provides. You have to decide these days if you want to regular or "extra-cushioned" shoes, as pioneered by Hoka (I think). I have both standard and "extra-cushioned," and I'm not sure which I like better.

It breaks the above advice, but I had good experience at Dick's with a very helpful salesperson a few years back (hit or miss, go on a weekday when it's not too crowded). Dick's (and many places) will take sneakers back with full refund even if used. It makes them happier if they look clean. You could try a new pair on a clean treadmill to see how it goes. They should be returnable even after that.

Example: I once bought a pair of top-rated Brooks running shoes that felt great in the store and even on the store treadmill. I took them home, ran a few miles, and found they rubbed on the tip of a toenail in a very uncomfortable way. I took them back and switched to ASICs, which have been my brand ever since.

Best of luck!
  • JaysFan82
    JaysFan82 Posts: 851 Member
    edited July 2023
    Options
    I've got my eyes on a pair of Hokas. I have a pair of their slides and they are the most comfortable thing ever. Walked an average of 24000 steps in them while in downtown Toronto last month and my feet felt amazing.

I've got about a month left in my current pair so I'll be splurging soon.

I currently have a pair of ASICS and I really like them
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,806 Member
    Options
    Another vote for a running store.

Mine had me run on a short track inside the store, analyzed my gait in slow motion and brought three or four different types of shoes for me to try, and suggested I go up a size from my normal shoe size to allow room in toebox for my big ole flat feet to spread out.

Made a world of difference. Toenails stopped falling off. Yep, you read that right.

I go once a year to be refitted and buy a pair or two. I buy additional of the same style on Amazon, choosing last season’s colors, which are usually half the price.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    Options
    @JaysFan82 : I was just writing on another thread that I have the ASIC Nimbus 25, which is a Hoka-style "double stuffed" style of shoe. I love wearing it around, particularly because I have a foot issue right now. I'm not as sold on using it as a running shoe. It feels kid of spongy relative to a thinner shoe.

@springlering62 : I've lost a lot of toenails, too! It doesn't take much, just a little rubbing from the shoe on one run. Finding shoes that don't do it requires some trial and error. Choice of socks matters-- I've gotten it from wearing thicker socks in the winter, for example. In general, it's a tricky business.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,806 Member
    Options
    @Jthanmyfitnesspal i was just thinking mg about my socks this morning!

The first time I visited a running store, they sold me some Balega socks. They cost and arm and a leg and I was afraid to wear them, but wow!!!!! If any product I’ve ever owned is worth it’s weight in gold, it’s those Balega socks.

I bought them four and a half years ago and they still look good as new, and I rotate them so that I wear them weekly or more often. They don’t show any wear on the heels.

OTOH, I’ve gone through multiple sets of my cheaper cotton “cold feet at night” socks, and worn through at least a dozen pair of sneakers during the same period.

I buy Balegas whenever I can find them on sale and have half a drawer of backup pairs that I’ve never even had to bust out.

Consider this my love letter to Balega.

• ReReNotMe
    ReReNotMe Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I'm by no means an expert but I've heard high performance shoes only work with people who already have good running technique. I've read that barefoot shoes or shoes with minimal padding are best to improve technique in the beginning though for longer distances you may want something with a bit more springyness to limit the force on your feet. Hope that helps :)