❓❓❓What hints do you have to not quit?

Options
2»

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,521 Member
    Options
    @ninerbuff ,,, I have a friend who we can't get to see this, by her always quitting she never improves. She actually told me "ITS YOUR FAULT I LOOK SO BAD!!" Huh? Of course I asked her why "YOU'VE LOST WEIGHT NOW I AM THE FATTEST PERSON (in our group)." I WAS STUNNED!! I encouraged her to lose.
    YOu are very correct I've gained back my self confidence and respect. That person is no longer a friend, I see her when we are in group, but we are not friends.
    Yeah, I always get a kick out bridesmaids always losing weight for a wedding they're in because they don't want to be known as that fattest bridesmaid. Isn't about the bride? For groomsmen, all we care about is "when can we take our coats and ties off so we can party!"

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • walkintofit
    walkintofit Posts: 3,482 Member
    Options
    I started on the former Sparkpeople site. I wanted to get fit, I wanted to eat healthier, I wanted companionship with like minded people. I started walking, doing weights, and rowing. My sister passed away and I wanted to not have a heart attack due to inactivity. I wanted to keep on moving; any movement counts. When I bought my rower I could only do 1 minute. My heart hurt. ya I had a huge problem. Fast forward I can now do 25 minutes easy on the rower. Yes it is a win!
    What is your why?
  • Antiopelle
    Antiopelle Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    From a more pragmatic point of view: what I did was think about coping strategies at the start, BEFORE it would get hard. You know that one day, in the near future, you'll want to eat a <piece of pie> instead of an <apple> (insert anything that applies to you).
    So sit down while you are calm and not in the middle of a craving and write down what seems to be a good coping strategy when that will happen - because it will !
    Then read that strategy every day and it will more readily accessible in your brain when the piece of pie is beaming at you... It's also good to write down your reasons why you want to slim down, and thus why you want to say no to the piece of pie if you cannot fit it in your calories of that day/week.
  • johnjarcher
    johnjarcher Posts: 1 Member
    edited July 2023
    Options
    Remember you deserve it and you're doing this for yourself. Make it you time.
    I'm a bad sleeper and usually get up around 4.30. I used to creep downstairs and sit on the PlayStation until it was time to go to work. Now, I get dressed and get out for a walk with a podcast or two, a long walk! And its quiet and it's my time. I know it's not easy for everyone, if you have dependents etc but make it about you and having your time.
    If you can stick at it long enough the cravings for sweet things disappear but of course you should treat yourself once in a while.
  • Dianedoessmiles1
    Dianedoessmiles1 Posts: 12,079 Member
    edited July 2023
    Options
    @Walkintofit ,, LOVE THAT!! You've made such progress!! Though on the 5% challenge we are on different teams, I've seen you around. HEY CONGRATS on that 25 minutes!! And we know you do more than that. You are quite impressive!! My why started my GD was 14 hearing her say about herself "I am fat" broke my heart in so MANY WAYS!! In changing myself, she also changed. I was helping to raise her (had her most of the time). She's now a Mom herself and hearing her assure the oldest child (youngest is only 2 months) "You are okay just the way you are." Makes my heart soar! She is a confident, strong woman.
    @Antiopelle ,, Excellent idea!! Being prepared!! Did you put this up where you could see it in a moment of "OH I WANT!!"? On Sparkpeople it suggested we all do just that. I had mine on a cupboard until someone I 'knew' well had made a nasty remark. She's GONE out of my life, and it's now on my phone which of course I see often now though it's in pictures of those I love.
    @johnjarcher ,, That's a GREAT WAY of taking care of yourself! So much healthier and a fantastic way to start off the day!! TY TY TY TY!! Self care plays into this so much. I'd never of thought that at the start, but now I absolutely do!
  • retreiversrbest
    retreiversrbest Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Two things that help me - first, I only focus on losing 5 pounds although I have much more than that to lose. Using 5 pounds at a time as my goal, helps me feel successful and stay on track to my long-range goal. Second, I tell myself that ice cream, that candy bar staring at you while in a line to check out, crackers, cookies etc will always be there. There will always be grocery stores, movies with popcorn, etc. Food, especially treats, are not going to disappear.
  • abytom1976
    abytom1976 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I tried and tried so many times to lose weigth and eat healthy but this week, I was diagnosed with hypertension. I came to realized that I was having some hypertension symptoms for some years now but I always rationalize high blood pressure at the doctor as the "white coat syndrome" effect. I always thought that I was healthy because I was doing biking and going to the gym 4-5 / week.

There is no going back now. I don't want to develop more serious health issues and I want my current health issue to resolve without too much medication. Food is where I need to focus now as it is the last bastion of unhealthy habits that I carry since childhood. Food is my coping mechanism.
  • OrganicPaganBB
    OrganicPaganBB Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    People who truly want to loose weight won't quit, people who quit are looking for a quick fix and when it doesn't happen they give up. It is in our nature to take the easiest path.
  • A_B_G_
    A_B_G_ Posts: 1 Member
    edited July 2023
    Options
    Hi Diane, I was at exactly this time in my journey last weekend. I could have quit...My goal is to loose all the weight I put on during Corona. So I remembered what it was like to live without the weight. I recalled every step I had already taken for the last months and praised myself for having made the first step, then the next and so on. I realised that I really missed some of the sweets and made some space for it in my daily diet. ;) You can't cut everything, but you can continue. I have lost about 15,5 pounds so far (7kg) and am on track. Now I can really feel proud!
  • ClearNotCloudyMind
    ClearNotCloudyMind Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    For me it’s the nearly instant feedback I get from my belly when I eat more than I want to or something with too much refined carbs/sugar.

When losing weight or eating well I feel great inside. When gaining weight or eating to maintain myself at overweight I get used to feeling rubbish and forget how it could be.

So if I feel bloated or sick or headachy after eating it’s a bit of a prod to get back to eating in ways which make me feel good.
  • AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    AlexandraFindsHerself1971 Posts: 3,106 Member
    Options
    When I started, I wrote down my goals, and once a week I go back and say them aloud so that I hear them and keep buying into them. I also add things that I have changed and like, like "I like having the energy to not need to rest between cooking dinner and cleaning up the kitchen." "I like being able to walk the dog for a longer distance."

These remind me of what I want, and when I want to quit, I can say, "Is that going to get your waist line smaller than your bustline? No? Then this isn't what you really want." And that and a glass of cold water usually gets me through it.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!