Food and snacks for travel

Options
I have a major trip planned that will involve multiple stops/layovers and will be about 24 hr of travel in total. Looking for ideas for food & snacks that I can pack in my carry on luggage.
Right now I'm thinking pre-popped popcorn, nuts, fruit, and simple veggies (baby cucumbers, carrots, and tomatoes).
Would love some other ideas though!

Replies

• MovinNow
    MovinNow Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Low sugar protein bars. The “Think” ones are not too bad if you’re hungry
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,390 Member
    Options
    Is it air travel? And does it involve served meals? If so then I'd only add a few small snacks or things to deal with jetlag and feel happy in general. If it's international there's a chance you're not allowed to bring fresh produce into a country, at times into an arrival airport even.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    edited July 2023
    Options
    For sure, if you are travelling internationally, make sure you can bring fresh produce. I got busted trying to bring a banana into the terminal when flying home to the U.S. from Canada. I wasn't going to take it on the plane, I was going to eat it before boarding, but it was a no-go. I also had a sandwich with me that they inspected to look for vegetables.

Nuts COULD be a problem on certain flights. If the airline is made aware of a person with a severe allergy on the flight, they might not let you open them.

Also, if you are going to eat on planes, be courteous to your fellow travelers and avoid foods that have strong odors.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,390 Member
    Options
    Oh yes, the odors! Been on various flights where people felt the urge to eat peanut butter by the spoon. This is one of the things that really makes me gag. Don't bring durian on national flights, really :D (been there, experienced it) and certain French cheeses might be problematic as well. Just consider that you're not alone. I'd probably bring snacks like soft candy, maybe raisins, if you could get a bowl and hot water then instant ramen might be an option. Though on intercontinental flights there's probably enough food.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,900 Member
    Options
    I have a major trip planned that will involve multiple stops/layovers and will be about 24 hr of travel in total. Looking for ideas for food & snacks that I can pack in my carry on luggage.
    Right now I'm thinking pre-popped popcorn, nuts, fruit, and simple veggies (baby cucumbers, carrots, and tomatoes).
    Would love some other ideas though!

Do check with the airlines about fruit, veg, and nuts. Protein bars would be simpler. Personally, I'd just bring food for snacks and get my meals on the plane and in the airport.

I brought a lot of food for my two trips to Costa Rica, but that was partly due to my anxiety about the language barrier in the rural parts of the country.

I brought no food for my two trips to Okinawa, but I was younger, with less control issues :lol:
  • Erikalynne18
    Erikalynne18 Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    Is it air travel? And does it involve served meals? If so then I'd only add a few small snacks or things to deal with jetlag and feel happy in general. If it's international there's a chance you're not allowed to bring fresh produce into a country, at times into an arrival airport even.

It's airline travel, but all domestic (in Canada). I just live really northern so I have to first fly into a major city, and then I will have 11hr in the city before my flight across the country.
    Fruits and veggies should be fine but I know dressings will be out as they would count as liquid.
  • Erikalynne18
    Options
    For sure, if you are travelling internationally, make sure you can bring fresh produce. I got busted trying to bring a banana into the terminal when flying home to the U.S. from Canada. I wasn't going to take it on the plane, I was going to eat it before boarding, but it was a no-go. I also had a sandwich with me that they inspected to look for vegetables.

Oh wow! Fortunately it's all domestic (in Canada) so my bananas will be safe lol.
  • gentlygently
    gentlygently Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Personally I would pop in some cheese and oatcakes too… cube the cheese or buy the mini squares. A bit more protein to keep you full….
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    While Ricky Gervais (in his comedy bit) doesn't give a crap about someone dying from a nut allergy on the plane, as he said, not his problem, it's probably best to avoid that.

Your list has no protein, OP! Add a couple of protein bars.
  • reener1987
    reener1987 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I was going to suggest seafood sticks but that may be a bit smelly 🤢
    Sugar snap peas are a good go to, and humus crisps?
  • SuzanneC1l9zz
    SuzanneC1l9zz Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    What about jerkey?
  • Antiopelle
    Antiopelle Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    If it is domestic you can even consider a gouda type cheese sandwich made on whole wheat bread. I even pack these from Europe to the Middle-East, I never had an issue. They don't smell and have a good shelf life (12 hours is fine). Also jam sandwiches for breakfast.
    I will always avoid airline / airport food as I find it of such low quality and at ridiculous high prices - unless with a Far-Eastern airline. Also, even as a flexitarian (will eat meat occasionally) I will always order the veggie option as the quality usually will be much better. It also was the case with Air Canada, but that is already 8 years ago, so maybe not relevant anymore.
  • PortTurtle
    PortTurtle Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Cold vegetarian pizza. Slices individually wrapped. Manderins zip locked with cut up paper towels l. 😀. Smelly foods just wait for layover.
    Cheese mustard bread of choice (carb counter street taco (20cal). Greens on side to add.
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,714 Member
    Options
    Baked sweet potato.wrapped in tin foil, healthy homemade trail mix, protein shake, dried chickpeas, edamame or lentils, kale chips
  • SouthernShay
    SouthernShay Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Laughing Cow cheese & gluten free crackers(I love the Simple Mills brand).
  • BeanieBean93
    BeanieBean93 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I really dislike airport food so I always bring some options for me and my fiance (or he'll end up elbow deep in a family sized bag of gummy worms.)

I usually cut up 2 apples in separate ziplocs and put baby carrots and celery sticks in another. I'll also bring 4 packs of 100 calorie nuts, 4 RX bars, 2 meat sticks and 2 hard boiled eggs. Then we have nuts and bars for each way of the trip. He'll eat the meat sticks and I'll eat the eggs. For the return trip, I usually grab fruit from the hotel as we leave.
  • Erikalynne18
    Options
    Your list has no protein, OP! Add a couple of protein bars.[/quote]

True true...

• Erikalynne18
    Options
    I really dislike airport food so I always bring some options for me and my fiance (or he'll end up elbow deep in a family sized bag of gummy worms.)

I usually cut up 2 apples in separate ziplocs and put baby carrots and celery sticks in another. I'll also bring 4 packs of 100 calorie nuts, 4 RX bars, 2 meat sticks and 2 hard boiled eggs. Then we have nuts and bars for each way of the trip. He'll eat the meat sticks and I'll eat the eggs. For the return trip, I usually grab fruit from the hotel as we leave.

Some great ideas! I also usually grab fruit from the hotel lol. If I have snacks, I'll eat those. Otherwise, I too find myself in the candy bag.....
  • gininthegym
    gininthegym Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    If I am staying overnight and want to keep to my macros I make overnight oats. But they don't even need to be overnight. I put my 30g oats in a Tupperware, add some chia seeds/ground flax/scoop of plant protein powder. Then when I want to eat just add water - you could use milk but keeping it simple here. Stir and leave for about 5 mins and eat. Pretty simple and feels more substantial than just snacking on fruit and nuts.

Be careful if relying on nuts on a flight. On a couple of recent flights the cabin crew have announced that a nut allergy passenger is on board and asked all to refrain from eating nut.