how did you decide on your goal weight?

Options

Replies

• zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 909 Member
    Options

ninerbuff wrote: »
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/304029/a-quick-way-to-figure-out-your-ideal-weight/p1

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

ideal weight varies. a lot of women my height prefer to be 110 to 120 pounds for esthetic reasons.

i was my happiest when i was lifting heavy at the gym in my 40s. doing 600 pound leg presses, 450 pound calf presses, 180 pound ab crunches and 120 pound lat pulldowns didn't lend itself to lean vs fat calculations. i know at 66 and after years off for injuries, i'm not likely to get that back, but i'd rather aim in that general direction.
    Doesn't matter. Unless one is willing to lose lean body mass (muscle), then determining what body fat % you want to be based on current lean mass will give you an accurate number of what you'll weigh at that body fat %. Height, frame, shape, etc. don't matter in this formula because it's just determining ideal weight at desired body fat %.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

sure it matters, because most people have no idea of what body fat/lean mass percentages look like or why - other than looks - they would want to be a certain percentage of lean mass vs fat. there's plenty of partial info or full on misinformation out there on this issue - many with pics, so the numbers don't really tell the average person anything.

btw, when i was very muscular vs when i was heavy and not muscular, my BMI would have been the same, yet when i was working out heavy, my lean mass was much higher and body fat much lower. yet in non-tight clothes, unpumped, i looked close to the same. and i had 2 trainers give me radically different body fat measurements only 2 days apart using calipers.

• ___Tams___
    ___Tams___ Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I'm 5ft4 set my goal of bmi 22.5 132lbs as this was my pre pregnancy weight before my 3rd child. I've been there a couple of times. Since I've been building muscle I'm more around 145lbs and now I'd just like to be back under 140lb.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,551 Member
    Options
    I just realized I had absolutely no idea what my BMI is and had to go look it up on my smart scale app.

NSV? 😂
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,566 Member
    Options
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/304029/a-quick-way-to-figure-out-your-ideal-weight/p1

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

ideal weight varies. a lot of women my height prefer to be 110 to 120 pounds for esthetic reasons.

i was my happiest when i was lifting heavy at the gym in my 40s. doing 600 pound leg presses, 450 pound calf presses, 180 pound ab crunches and 120 pound lat pulldowns didn't lend itself to lean vs fat calculations. i know at 66 and after years off for injuries, i'm not likely to get that back, but i'd rather aim in that general direction.
    Doesn't matter. Unless one is willing to lose lean body mass (muscle), then determining what body fat % you want to be based on current lean mass will give you an accurate number of what you'll weigh at that body fat %. Height, frame, shape, etc. don't matter in this formula because it's just determining ideal weight at desired body fat %.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

sure it matters, because most people have no idea of what body fat/lean mass percentages look like or why - other than looks - they would want to be a certain percentage of lean mass vs fat. there's plenty of partial info or full on misinformation out there on this issue - many with pics, so the numbers don't really tell the average person anything.
    20%-25% is normal range for a female who isn't looking to look like an athlete. At that point 19% and under approaches that spectrum. And there are references of pics that people can look at online where they can get an idea of body % they'd like to be.
    btw, when i was very muscular vs when i was heavy and not muscular, my BMI would have been the same, yet when i was working out heavy, my lean mass was much higher and body fat much lower. yet in non-tight clothes, unpumped, i looked close to the same. and i had 2 trainers give me radically different body fat measurements only 2 days apart using calipers.
    Athlete measurements will vary in almost every situation if you're cutting/bulking, but again most people here aren't doing that.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,951 Member
    Options
    I just realized I had absolutely no idea what my BMI is and had to go look it up on my smart scale app.

NSV? 😂

For others who are interested in their BMI:

https://bmicalculator.mes.fm/bmi-chart
    https://bmicalculator.mes.fm calculator
  • kshama2001
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

20%-25% is normal range for a female who isn't looking to look like an athlete. At that point 19% and under approaches that spectrum. And there are references of pics that people can look at online where they can get an idea of body % they'd like to be.
    [snip]
    https://www.builtlean.com/body-fat-percentage-men-women/
    col8o7fregdx.png
    wms5lbslkvxt.png

• springlering62
    edited July 2023
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

[snip]
    https://www.builtlean.com/body-fat-percentage-men-women/
    col8o7fregdx.png
    wms5lbslkvxt.png

This visual can be really misleading to folks who’ve had large loss of weight, which is a lot of people here.

My BMI is 22.5 and my last DEXA had me at 21 or 22% body fat. I look nothing like the chick in the photo, thanks to a large floof of extra skin residing around my waistline. I look more like the 35% example.

Yet arms, legs, thighs, calves all have very visible muscles, and if I wear something with a high lightly compressive waist, you’d think I’d look like those gals if I were to show my belly. Nope. Unloose the Kracken!!!!

If you’ve lost a lot of weight, before you despair at these or similar pictures, remember the souvenirs the extra weight left on your body. I’m grateful for where I am, and have found if I continue hacking away at the same old plan, things do continue to change. Maybe when I’m 70, that floof of skin will finally melt away. 😂😂😂

Please be very very very careful when comparing yourself to anyone or anything.

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,382 Member
    Options
    I'm still wondering if 20%, 25%, and 30% are corrected ordered in the women in that graphic.

And @springlering62, having seen a number of photos of you, including floof photos, I kind of disagree with your self-perception of appearance. Besides, if your extremities look (say) 15%-ish, ya gotta average things out somehow, eh?

But yeah, comparison is iffy. Personal choice matters, and every person has a different body configuration, besides. It's good to have a body, however it looks. I don't know what I do without mine. ;)
  • xrj22
    xrj22 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Not a strange goal at all. If it is a healthier weight than you are now, then it is a great goal.
  • coffeeandtruecrime
    coffeeandtruecrime Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I choose 150lbs because I felt like that was a reasonable goal, and once I hit it I can lower it or not. :)
  • ReReNotMe
    ReReNotMe Posts: 63 Member
    edited July 2023
    Options
    Weight is a tricky one. For my height and weight (19 yo, 173cm or 5'8") I 'should' be around 70kg for a BMI in the mid-low 20s. Starting at 110kg that is still a goal but as someone who loves weightlifting as a sport and wants a muscular physique, once I get to about 85-90kg I may adjust that goal to better fit my physique and routine. Idk and I'm not an expert but BMI and weight aren't always an indicator of health when it comes to muscular bodies and at the end of the day my goal is health not weight. I think adjusting your goals in response to your body is an option not a lot of people take advantage of.
  • springlering62
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I'm still wondering if 20%, 25%, and 30% are corrected ordered in the women in that graphic.

Agree. No offense to the ever helpful and kind @kshama2001 but that particular graph, meme or whatever has always puzzled me. It seems to show women who are sorta awkwardly angled to look great at any size, and because they’re all posed differently there’s no way to compare, and the ones with the lower BF look larger than several with the higher BF.

I wish there were a similar layout with women all posed the same. A bikini police weight lineup?

Then again, it’s so easy to get sucked down the comparison hole and forget to appreciate our own wins. Mine are likely nothing like yours.

Those dang feet for example. I read the NSV thread religiously and kept anxiously waiting for my own “foot shrink” and it didn’t happen til four and a half years in. Somebody may read something I wrote about “bat wings” and feel the same.

Just keep hacking away at it, til you reach your own place of comfort and happiness.

That’s the perfect weight.

Humans. We are so imperfect, trying to be perfect. Maybe seeking perfection is the human condition. 😮

• kshama2001
    Options
    Lietchi wrote: »
    I also don't really like the graph above.

This new one I found at least has similar positioning for all the women?

lxlv106i6gv3.png

I like this one better too. @Lietchi do you have a link to the page so I can bookmark it?
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,159 Member
    Options
    Here ya go :smile:
    https://ultimateperformance.com/your-goal/fat-loss/female-fat-loss/womens-body-fat-percentage-in-pictures/
    That page has a few extra examples per bodyfat percentage too.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,956 Member
    edited July 2023
    Options
    When I was at my highest weight of 245 I never really gave it much thought to where I wanted to be weight wise or body fat wise, just that it was time to get more serious about my lifestyle in general. I've ended up where I am now at 185 and around 12-15% body fat from that result, and I probably only weighted myself a dozen times during that transition. For me it was lifestyle and my diet, which was and is lower carb and the mirror was my inspiration. Cheers
  • kshama2001
    Options
    Lietchi wrote: »
    Here ya go :smile:
    https://ultimateperformance.com/your-goal/fat-loss/female-fat-loss/womens-body-fat-percentage-in-pictures/
    That page has a few extra examples per bodyfat percentage too.

Thanks! I will use that moving forward.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,614 Member
    Options
    Basically, had a doctor who said he wanted to see me at 160 when I weighed in at 225. It was fairly easy losing that weight so I kept going until I hit 105 (with a 30 lb gain and the year I gained and lost the same pound in between). I sort of wanted to see if I could break 100, did, and went right back up to a nice round numbered 105 where I stayed for 5 or 6 years.
  • dmsl977
    dmsl977 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I struggle with this as well. My body is disproportionate: I'm 5'5.5", but my legs are incredibly long (I wear a 36" length pant.) I've only achieved a 22 BMI once in my adult life and I looked sick. Too thin and bony. My current goal is 150 (currently down 30 pounds to 163.) This is barely within normal BMI range. I will re-assess when I get to goal, but I don't think I can go too much lower than150 happily.
  • ddsb1111
    ddsb1111 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    dmsl977 wrote: »
    I struggle with this as well. My body is disproportionate: I'm 5'5.5", but my legs are incredibly long (I wear a 36" length pant.) I've only achieved a 22 BMI once in my adult life and I looked sick. Too thin and bony. My current goal is 150 (currently down 30 pounds to 163.) This is barely within normal BMI range. I will re-assess when I get to goal, but I don't think I can go too much lower than150 happily.

Hi there! Do you know your lean body mass? There was an interesting thread you might like to figure out your ideal weight and it’s not your BMI. I bumped it if you’d like to check it out.