Thai Food

Options
2»

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options
    Good stuff I'm glad your embracing the idea and yeah, the dried shrimp is a must. And again, if I can be of any help, just ask.
    acpgee wrote: »
    I've got David Thompson's cookbooks. Here's his pad thai recipe. I wouldn't trust any recipe missing the dried shrimp or the salted or pickled turnips, never mind tamarind water.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2010/sep/19/david-thompson-thai-recipes

Thanks guys! I see a trip to the Asian store in Quincy, MA in my near future, and finally success with making pad thai at home :smiley:
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,627 Member
    Options
    @kshama2001

If you are not venturing into town to an Asian supermarket in the near future you can get all the harder to find ingredients for pad thai online. I see amazon does dried rice noodles, preserved turnip, tamarind, and dried shrimp. If you can't get bean sprouts near you, you can order dried mung beans meant for cooking online and sprout them yourself (it takes about 5-6 days, google for instructions). If you can't find Chinese chive, the green tops of spring onions or regular chive make a good substitute.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    acpgee wrote: »
    @kshama2001

If you are not venturing into town to an Asian supermarket in the near future you can get all the harder to find ingredients for pad thai online. I see amazon does dried rice noodles, preserved turnip, tamarind, and dried shrimp. If you can't get bean sprouts near you, you can order dried mung beans meant for cooking online and sprout them yourself (it takes about 5-6 days, google for instructions). If you can't find Chinese chive, the green tops of spring onions or regular chive make a good substitute.

I should have mentioned I never buy Asian foods from Amazon because every time I've price checked the markup was ridiculous. If I lived in Alaska or someplace, I would buy online, but I just need to get organized for a drive. Maybe we will visit my partner's aunt while we are in the area.
  • acpgee
    Options
    Pad thai prep, and finished dish. I used John Thompson's recipe but Josh Weissman's tip to fry the dried shrimp first with the shallots rather than adding them later after the noodles. Because the actual cooking is a very quick I find it easiest to have everything chopped and measured out before heating up the wok, at the expense of creating rather a lot of dirty dishes. My pad thai doesn't have a glossy finish because I only use 1 tablespoon of oil instead of the 3 or 4 most recipes call for.
    p6wnvj3zlmzd.jpeg
    0r8cj1n91u2m.jpeg
  • candylilacs
    candylilacs Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Mint chicken! It's not as saucy as the other dishes, but I hope is mild and medium. The one I had in Los Angeles was too hot (as in medium heat).

I think if done in Thai and Burmese style, tofu is mainly pretty tasty!
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    Tom Yum soup, the broth based one.
  • mvorih3
    mvorih3 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I’m celiac, so Thai is go to for me. Many of their dishes are gluten free and most are very good with clarifying what the s sage for me.

My favorites are Tom Kha soup and green curry. I usually get chicken in each of those.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,981 Member
    Options
    I don't go that often, so I order what I want. Usually a tofu and eggplant dish with basil.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,410 Member
    Options
    I don't really eat out but rather try to cook dishes I've eaten in Thailand. On my wish list is a pork belly dish that I'd eaten far too often. Have not managed to get pork belly here though.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,925 Member
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    I don't really eat out but rather try to cook dishes I've eaten in Thailand. On my wish list is a pork belly dish that I'd eaten far too often. Have not managed to get pork belly here though.

A common food at most supermarkets and most meat depts will have or can order for you. All butcher shops will carry pork belly. I make my own bacon and of course other tasty pork belly dishes.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,410 Member
    Options

A common food at most supermarkets and most meat depts will have or can order for you. All butcher shops will carry pork belly. I make my own bacon and of course other tasty pork belly dishes.

Where you are? Likely. Here? Been to various butchers and none can get me pork belly unless smoked. It's ridiculous.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,925 Member
    edited July 2023
    Options

Where you are? Likely. Here? Been to various butchers and none can get me pork belly unless smoked. It's ridiculous.

I live in a small town in Ontario with 3 supermarkets. All 3 carry pork belly. We have 1 butcher shop and they also smoke there own products, grind their own meat, make their own sausage, make their own bacon, things that butcher shops do, and also carry pork belly. All supermarkets and butcher shops have suppliers and if all those sources said their suppliers don't carry pork belly I think I would call that a conspiracy and hire someone from 212B baker St. to investigate. cheers
  • acpgee
    Options
    In dutch the translation for pork belly might be speklapjes. Make sure you don't end up with cured bacon though. The literal translation of varkensbuik will not yield anything in the supermarket.
  • kshama2001
    edited July 2023
    Options
    Just got back from the Asian store. This week is going to be the week!

https://www.joshuaweissman.com/post/homemade-pad-thai

90n61hivb4sj.png
    (I already had the rice noodles.)

I like this brand of Masaman curry paste so bought this as well:

tg3nhc9bual2.png

I doubt I will like the canned sauce nearly as much, but even if it is passable, I still had fun shopping and will have fun cooking.

It was $1.69 at the store and $18.98 for one can on Amazon, which is why I never buy Asian stuff on Amazon.