Snacking

Options
Hi fellow members. Does anyone have problems with snacking on sweet or salty foods, especially after dinner? No matter what I do, I simply can't seem to get past my chocolate cravings, especially after dinner. I undo all my good work in the day

Replies

• 12Sarah2015
    12Sarah2015 Posts: 1,117 Member
    edited July 2023
    Options
    I go cold Turkey on sugar. If I really crave, I eat a muesli bar with dried fruit in it (zero chocolate) as I think it’s a bit healthier. But limit it, definitely not a weekly thing. I do have a high salt diet though.
  • Mithridites
    Mithridites Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I've learned the hard way to just not buy some (most) packaged sweets and crunchy snacks. No matter how I try to rationalize that I will ration then, I end up binging them and feeling like crap. I can have dark chocolate in the house and have just one piece. I can have fruit in the fridge and portion it out sanely. A low-calorie jello cup is my go-to snack for after dinner. And then go to bed early.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    I INCLUDE my after dinner snacking as a meal. Leave calories after dinner to be able to snack. I eat up till 10:30pm-11pm and then don't eat again till after 12pm the next day. A moderate calorie lunch and dinner will leave room for late night snacks. And I've eaten this way for the past 15 years now.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • lesdarts180
    lesdarts180 Posts: 2,728 Member
    Options
    I enjoy my snacks - I don't have a problem with them.

Look at your calorie allotment for the day - first, make sure you're not trying to go too low, that can lead unhelpful behaviour.

Next, keep back some calories for that evening treat. Find a treat - sweet, salty, chocolatey, whatever you prefer - that will fit into your calorie total. You may need to alter your purchasing habits - I buy mini-babybels (I need the calcium) and individual treats that are around 100 calories or less. Fibre One make some chocolate bars. Here in the UK we can get a low calorie hot chocolate for 40 calories. (Cadbury's Options).

Relax and enjoy your evening treat. 😋🍬🍓🍫

• ReReNotMe
    ReReNotMe Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I try to account for snacks in my daily calories and buy snacks that I still enjoy but are lower in sugar - haven't had chocolate in the house for about a month and now I've just gotten used to not having it.

Also not sure if anyone else has tried it but brushing your teeth after meals puts me in a mindset where snacking is just inconvenient, why snack if I'll just have to brush my teeth again after.

And by adjusting my calories and my daily routine including an earlier night routine I've found that I'm not hungry after dinner anymore. I used to have a hot chocolate and a sweet every night at 8-9pm, now I'm having dinner at 5-6, brushing my teeth and washing my face etc. at around 8 and have the rest of the evening to relax. My sleep has improved a lot because of this too. Would definitely recommend.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options
    I agree with trying the snack strategies others have suggested.

It doesn't make sense objectively, but for me, individually packaged snacks are easier to moderate than a big bar/bag that I need to portion out in the moment.

The other thing is to consider whether the problem's root is something other than snacks:

How far have you cut calories? If you're trying to lose weight fast, what about losing a little slower, but having a few more calories in play? (If trying to lose more than 1% of current body weight per week, definitely back that bus up!)

Also, how is your sleep? Keep in mind that cravings can be an energy-seeking behavior triggered by fatigue, and fatigue is more likely later in the day. If your sleep quality/quantity is sub-ideal, maybe work on improving that, see if it helps. (Note that stress can trigger fatigue, too, so stress-management techniques could help in that case.)

If part of the problem is a longer-term evening snacking habit (or boredom), consider distractions that can become new, replacement habits. For some people, a casual walk after dinner helps. Or, consider a new or resumed distracting hobby: Especially good are things that require clean hands (sketching, needlework, playing a musical instrument, etc.) or create dirty hands (painting, carpentry, gardening, etc.).

• brittanystebbins95
    brittanystebbins95 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I budget my calories to allow myself to indulge in those snacks. If I don't, I fail every time.
    Stop fighting it, and work around it.
  • mlrtri
    mlrtri Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above recommendations of saving calories for an evening snack. Another perk is that it helps me remember not to overindulge at dinner because I like to leave a few calories for a snack. I have to check myself. Am I really hungry for more? Is it worth giving up my evening snack? Usually it is not and I still have something to look forward to.
    I also make sure it’s enjoyed and not mindless eating in front of the TV. I used to put the kids down for the night then snack while watching TV. Who knows how many calories I consumed. I justified it as “me time”. Now I try to savor my evening snack and will frequently have it with a cup of hot tea. TV was a weakness for me (in terms of snacking) so I have greatly reduced my screen time. And I don’t miss it and I find I am much more productive (of course all this added energy from losing weight and eating better helps with that too).

Sometimes hunger does bother me in the evenings and I have found it’s just better to go to bed those nights. Lol. I miraculously wake up not hungry. So apparently it wasn’t a true hunger.

Best of luck figuring out what works for you.
  • MrsDogLady
    MrsDogLady Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Set up your meals/calories early each day and include an allowance for an evening snack. Breyers makes these 60 calorie fudge ice cream bars that are to die for. Sixty calories! I put a list on my coffee table that says "Do Something!" Clean Kitchen, Read, Walk to the mailbox (I have a long driveway), Vacuum, Cross stitch, Check finances... snap out of craving mode and get your mind involved in something else - it really works. Besides, there's NOTHING on the TV that is worth sitting for an hour and either suffering a craving or giving in to a binge LOL! It isn't worth it. TV sucks. And I totally agree with mlrtri above, if it is getting late - just go to bed, I find the ritual of going to my room, changing, brushing teeth etc., does wonders to kill the craving. Good Luck!