Gaining weight and working out

Options
Hi, I'm new here, my name is Rachael. About 3 months ago I started exercising pretty regularly (3 - 5 days a week) and very intense workouts for about an hour long each workout. At first, I expected to gain some water weight as my muscles were adjusting to the new me. However, 3 months later, and I've gained about 10 pounds. I am extremely frustrated. My body composition isn't getting smaller, it's getting bulkier. Am I doing something wrong? I feel bloated and heavy. Has anyone else gone through this or have any advice?

Replies

• sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Are you tracking calories? Increased exercise=increased hunger=more eating=weight gain.
  • SisterSueGetsFit
    SisterSueGetsFit Posts: 1,211 Member
    edited July 2023
    Options
    Hi Rachael. I’m Rachel too! Are you tracking your calories? Recording them in your MFP diary?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,688 Member
    Options
    A lot of people think that working out will allow them to eat more. Unfortunately if you're not tracking calories correctly, you'll gain more than you'll lose. Sounds like you're in surplus here if it's been going on for 3 months. Reassess your intake and eat less than you burn to lose weight.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• EmilySwid
    EmilySwid Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If you are tracking your calories:
    - Are you eating the calories that you burn from exercise?
    - What are you eating?
    - Do you count macros?

While CICO is pretty straight forward (the idea you need to eat less than you're burning per day, having a deficit), exercising consistently/hard changes the name of the game. Eating too few calories after high intensity isn't good for you.

I, myself, find that eating less calories but not considering how many grams of protein, fat, and carbs I'm taking in had me at a slower loss rate and I didn't like how I felt. Groggy, exhausted, slow recovery from exercise... Now, I count at a 30-35% protein intake diet. I make healthier choices and rarely eat processed food (just a personal choice, I'm not much of a snacker).

We need a bit more information about your day to day, what you're burning, what you're logging, and what the makeup of that log is to possibly help.

When it comes down to it, it's how accurate is your tracking and how much as you consuming compared to what you burn.
  • ReReNotMe
    ReReNotMe Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you're doing. Sadly it's pretty difficult to build muscle and lose fat at the same time.

For building muscle (bulking) we need a surplus of calories to build the muscle fibres as we exercise. To lose fat (cut) you need the opposite, a decent calorie deficit for you to work off the fat during exercise.

If you're gaining weight when you're trying to lose weight try adjusting your calories. I've found trying to estimate my BMR based on my height and weight can help me set a calorie goal that works for me. Not sure if that helps. Good luck :)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    leesmomx3 wrote: »
    Hi, I'm new here, my name is Rachael. About 3 months ago I started exercising pretty regularly (3 - 5 days a week) and very intense workouts for about an hour long each workout. At first, I expected to gain some water weight as my muscles were adjusting to the new me. However, 3 months later, and I've gained about 10 pounds. I am extremely frustrated. My body composition isn't getting smaller, it's getting bulkier. Am I doing something wrong? I feel bloated and heavy. Has anyone else gone through this or have any advice?

Moderate exercise tends to be a mild appetite suppressant for me. More vigorous exercise spikes my appetite. Like the previous poster, it is possible your "very intense workouts" are causing you to eat more than you should.

Additionally, there are mistakes that people commonly make that cause them to not lose weight that we might be able to spot if you change your Diary Sharing settings to Public. In the app, go to Settings > Diary Setting > Diary Sharing > and check Public. Desktop: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings