Am I Eating Right?

Options
In the morning, I have a Trix yogurt cup and a Quaker's Chocolate Rice Cake with less than a tbsp of Jif Peanut Butter on it. I usually won't have a snack between breakfast and lunch, and when I do it's maybe like a handful of Whole Grain Goldfish or a few Original Triscuits.

For lunch, I'll either have a cup of Macaroni and Cheese, or one of those single serving cups because I'm always out for lunch, either at my internship or work, or school. I'll eat that with one serving of Whole Grain Goldfish, another yogurt, and possibly even a rice cake. I'll always drink a bottle of water with lunch.

Between lunch and dinner, I'll usually have a sugar-free Italian Ice Pop, or the rest of my Goldfish (I love those! Ha ha) I've been trying desperately to cut out my snacks because I notice looking back to my previous diet, I snacked way too much, went out for dinner way too much, ate needlessly just for the simple fact of EATING out of boredom, and I ate at night far too much. I've really been trying to cut back on all of these things and I feel like I'm doing a good job because I haven't been eating after dinner the past three nights (I started this about four days ago), I haven't been snacking almost at all, and I only eat when I'm hungry.

So, for dinner, usually I'll eat whatever, as long as it's nothing too high in calories. For instance, Saturday night I spent the night at my boyfriend's and had a tiny sliver of roasted chicken with about a cup of white rice to make up for what I didn't eat through out the day. Yesterday, we had roasted chicken breast that was stuffed, I ate a very little amount, with Knorr/Lipton Creamy Chicken Pasta, Cranberry Sauce, and Caesar Salad. Then when I got home I had some Goldfish. (AGAIN!)

Anyway, I was really proud of myself because I went to a birthday party for my cousin on Saturday and didn't eat anything while I was there other than a few green olives and a small slice of ice cream cake.

My workout regimen is, I go at LEAST 4 days a week, if not more. I work out for 60 minutes and do a mixture of exercises that range from cardio (eliptical, tread mill, and bike) to strength training (medicine ball abdominal crunches, leg work, calf rises, and arm work). I need to start paying attention to how many calories I burn, but on average, it's about 250-300. The days that I cannot make it to the gym, I walk at the fields behind my house, and I make sure to park far away in parking lots so I can walk.

If I just started on Thursday, how long do you think it will take me to start losing some weight? My starting weight was 174, because I was pre-menstrual I believe, but am not sure. I weigh 173 even right now and my goal is to lose 10-15 pounds before May 23 because I am going to Florida that day for a week and would like to get sexy clothes. I'm following my calorie plan, but I will advise you that I'm not eating my exercise calories, just because I simply can't.. I'm not hungry enough to. Does anyone have any suggestions for me or tips? I'm very heavily build from the love-handles, to right above the calfs.. bottom heavy.

Thank you for reading this huge post by the way :)

Replies

• Kasey42588
    Options
    In the morning, I have a Trix yogurt cup and a Quaker's Chocolate Rice Cake with less than a tbsp of Jif Peanut Butter on it. I usually won't have a snack between breakfast and lunch, and when I do it's maybe like a handful of Whole Grain Goldfish or a few Original Triscuits.

For lunch, I'll either have a cup of Macaroni and Cheese, or one of those single serving cups because I'm always out for lunch, either at my internship or work, or school. I'll eat that with one serving of Whole Grain Goldfish, another yogurt, and possibly even a rice cake. I'll always drink a bottle of water with lunch.

Between lunch and dinner, I'll usually have a sugar-free Italian Ice Pop, or the rest of my Goldfish (I love those! Ha ha) I've been trying desperately to cut out my snacks because I notice looking back to my previous diet, I snacked way too much, went out for dinner way too much, ate needlessly just for the simple fact of EATING out of boredom, and I ate at night far too much. I've really been trying to cut back on all of these things and I feel like I'm doing a good job because I haven't been eating after dinner the past three nights (I started this about four days ago), I haven't been snacking almost at all, and I only eat when I'm hungry.

So, for dinner, usually I'll eat whatever, as long as it's nothing too high in calories. For instance, Saturday night I spent the night at my boyfriend's and had a tiny sliver of roasted chicken with about a cup of white rice to make up for what I didn't eat through out the day. Yesterday, we had roasted chicken breast that was stuffed, I ate a very little amount, with Knorr/Lipton Creamy Chicken Pasta, Cranberry Sauce, and Caesar Salad. Then when I got home I had some Goldfish. (AGAIN!)

Anyway, I was really proud of myself because I went to a birthday party for my cousin on Saturday and didn't eat anything while I was there other than a few green olives and a small slice of ice cream cake.

My workout regimen is, I go at LEAST 4 days a week, if not more. I work out for 60 minutes and do a mixture of exercises that range from cardio (eliptical, tread mill, and bike) to strength training (medicine ball abdominal crunches, leg work, calf rises, and arm work). I need to start paying attention to how many calories I burn, but on average, it's about 250-300. The days that I cannot make it to the gym, I walk at the fields behind my house, and I make sure to park far away in parking lots so I can walk.

If I just started on Thursday, how long do you think it will take me to start losing some weight? My starting weight was 174, because I was pre-menstrual I believe, but am not sure. I weigh 173 even right now and my goal is to lose 10-15 pounds before May 23 because I am going to Florida that day for a week and would like to get sexy clothes. I'm following my calorie plan, but I will advise you that I'm not eating my exercise calories, just because I simply can't.. I'm not hungry enough to. Does anyone have any suggestions for me or tips? I'm very heavily build from the love-handles, to right above the calfs.. bottom heavy.

Thank you for reading this huge post by the way :)
  • happygirl518
    happygirl518 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Kasey, I think your intensions are good. If I were you I would look over some meal plans and see at your current weight and height what your caloric intake should be to lose 1-2 lbs. per week. I would explore high fiber foods that keep you feeling full and satisfied longer. Results take time and eveyone follows their own plan, and their are so many options. I don't look to my journey as just a diet. I find a plan that I can live with and its for me a "lifestyle change". I know you don't diet, lose the weight and it miraculously stays there, a friend told me once that losing the weight is the easy part, the real work comes when you are trying to maintain the weight goal, so I am in it for the long haul.

Make especially sure that when you exercise you give your body back the calories that you burned. You have to remember, "you have to Eat to Lose". If you eat too little your body thinks its starving and will hold onto everything...often times then the weight won't budge, so you have alot to explore and decide for Yourself. Once you device a plan that is right for you, put variety into your meals, pay close attention to your portions and eating from the basic food groups and drink the water, 8-10 glasses per day. You'll get there...find a diet buddy and utilize the message boards for added support and encouragement, we never have to go it alone. Hope some of this you find helpful! Good Luck. Debbie
  • lnhammond
    lnhammond Posts: 10
    Options
    It doesn't seem as though you are eating TOO MANY calories, but the calories you are eating don't have any nutrition! There is a TON of sugar in those yogurts and the goldfish have a TON of sodium with little of anything good. Processed (things that have been factory made and built to have a shelf life) foods generally are not good for you EVER! People think that "low-fat" processed foods are good, but generally they are worse for you than the normal fat foods. Check out the ingredient list....
    You defintely need some "raw" foods in your diet. As in, fruits and vegetables that have not been processed! The fiber and nutrients from these will keep you full much longer and will add GOOd calores into your diet.
    Plus, you really need to drink much more water than you are. This site as well as most others and doctors will say 8 cups a day. But if you want to really lose weight, that has to be a minimum!
    Good luck!
  • aprilvet
    aprilvet Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Looking at your foods, my impression is that you're not eating enough protein or fat, fruit and veggies. Also, you're really heavy in carb-laden snack foods. Try eating a small handful of raw, unsalted almonds (they do take some getting used to!!:laugh: ), an apple, etc. for some of your snacks instead of the goldfish all the time. I also advise eating most of your exercise calories back. You don't have a lot to lose. Although you want to look good for FL, you really want to take off the weight right and keep it off!!! So don't get discouraged or start skimping on calories. You may only lose 1 pound a week, so be patient!!!:smile:
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    It doesn't seem as though you are eating TOO MANY calories, but the calories you are eating don't have any nutrition! There is a TON of sugar in those yogurts and the goldfish have a TON of sodium with little of anything good. Processed (things that have been factory made and built to have a shelf life) foods generally are not good for you EVER! People think that "low-fat" processed foods are good, but generally they are worse for you than the normal fat foods. Check out the ingredient list....
    You defintely need some "raw" foods in your diet. As in, fruits and vegetables that have not been processed! The fiber and nutrients from these will keep you full much longer and will add GOOd calores into your diet.
    Plus, you really need to drink much more water than you are. This site as well as most others and doctors will say 8 cups a day. But if you want to really lose weight, that has to be a minimum!
    Good luck!

I agree
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    I saw no vegitables in there. Is it like that every day? I don't know how many calories that is, but it sounds extremely lite, and you're getting essentially no fiber at all (very little, I saw maybe 4 grams, but I could be off there). And while leafy veggies are fiine, romaine lettuce shouldn't be your first choice. If you're going with salad, choose a garden salad with field greens (if possible), a yellow veggie, an orange veggie, and a green veggie. Also, you need minerals, mushrooms, some darker meat, and some of the high antioxident fruit would be good as well (berries are great for that).

The vitamins and minerals need to be there or you won't get the benefit of eating at a deficit.

can you give us an estimate of how many calories you eat on a normal day, and about how many calories you burn exercising?
  • Kasey42588
    Options
    Looking at your foods, my impression is that you're not eating enough protein or fat, fruit and veggies. Also, you're really heavy in carb-laden snack foods. Try eating a small handful of raw, unsalted almonds (they do take some getting used to!!:laugh: ), an apple, etc. for some of your snacks instead of the goldfish all the time. I also advise eating most of your exercise calories back. You don't have a lot to lose. Although you want to look good for FL, you really want to take off the weight right and keep it off!!! So don't get discouraged or start skimping on calories. You may only lose 1 pound a week, so be patient!!!:smile:

Here is the problem that I have with fruits; a few years ago, I ate an apple and my throat and ears got really itchy, and I haven't been able to eat one since. Same with almonds.. I believe I have a tree nut allergy (a minor one), because I cannot eat almonds, walnuts, pistachios, or anything of that sort. My mouth gets too itchy. The same with apples, blueberries, and strawberries. I love bananas, but they're high in calories and are only good in moderation. I want to add grapes and carrots to my diet, as well as more green vegetables. I'd also like to add more protein to my diet.
  • Kasey42588
    Options
    I saw no vegitables in there. Is it like that every day? I don't know how many calories that is, but it sounds extremely lite, and you're getting essentially no fiber at all (very little, I saw maybe 4 grams, but I could be off there). And while leafy veggies are fiine, romaine lettuce shouldn't be your first choice. If you're going with salad, choose a garden salad with field greens (if possible), a yellow veggie, an orange veggie, and a green veggie. Also, you need minerals, mushrooms, some darker meat, and some of the high antioxident fruit would be good as well (berries are great for that).

The vitamins and minerals need to be there or you won't get the benefit of eating at a deficit.

can you give us an estimate of how many calories you eat on a normal day, and about how many calories you burn exercising?

I am on a 1200 calorie diet daily. Usually I meet the calorie requirement, sometimes I'll go over by 100 or 200, but I also burn about 350 exercising.
  • sassekel
    sassekel Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Well I am no expert but I agree with poster above. I see lot of sodium in your food choices and non complex carbs. sometimes its not how much you eat its what your eating, try adding more vegtables an eat less processed foods. I have a hard time getting all my water too but am trying to drink 4 16 oz bottles a day. keep at it, it always takes longer than we want, but you'll make it!
    :drinker:
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others. You gotta get some fruits and veggies in there. As far as weight loss goes for me, I am highly sensitive to processed foods and bad carbs. If I eat even a relatively normal amount during a week, even if they fit into my calories per day, my body hangs onto them for dear life!

Nothing wrong with bananas at all. I usually eat a banana a day. I also eat mixed berries (frozen, put them in my oatmeal lately), a naval orange, a pink lady apple (because those are my favorite), 1-2 clementines, grapes, strawberries...and that's the norm. I sometimes I have a plum or peach when in the mood.

Everyday veggies for me include, leafy greens (spinach, spring mix, etc), carrots, onions, green beans, sweet potatoes, celery, broccoli, asparagus, tomatoes, and peppers.

Start small by incorporating 1 vegetable and 1 fruit per day.

:heart:
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    Ok- Now this is just my opinion I am not going to tell you what to do but just give some advice.

1200 calories is too low- I saw your post of your before pics- you should be eating atleast 1400 calories a day-

As far as exercise calories see what works for you- Im not going to tell you to do it or not (Because it isn't my place- what works for some may not work for others tweak it to your needs)

As far as how long it takes it all depends if you aren't eating the right amount of calories whether its too high or too low-

You food listing is packed with sugar and sugar turns into fat- yes we need sugar but sugar is in alot of things if you like the convienance of yogurt get Yoplait fit and light (or something like that) -- all those kid yogurts are packed with sugar unless you get sugar free,
    Try switching up your cereal to something better, there is fiber one, raisin bran ect...
    Seems like your a carb attack because of those goldfish and mac and cheese as well- find something else to snack on- what about grapefruit, celery with peanut butter, boiled eggs--
    salads for lunch or a sandwich- There are many options- Alot of people at my job eat lean cuisines (I guess they are good I never had them Im not a fan of frozen meals but I eat turkey sandwiches every day (its weird I don't have feathers lol)

Play with your diet you need to eat healthier foods- try not to drink your calories- water doesn't help you lose weight but it can help get you on the right path plus if your working out like that you need to replenish your water supply-
  • staceyw37
    staceyw37 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    bummer on the apples and nuts and berries. you are definitely having an allergic reaction, so don't keep eating those things as the allergic response will get stronger, and potentially put your life in jeopardy.
    #1 apples aren't such a common allergen tho. so, try natural (no sugar etc) applesauce one time (1/4 cup max) or organic apple. don't eat anything else that "triggers" that itchy mouth response and see if apples are truly a problem or just regular ones with pesticides.
    #2 bananas are an excellent source of potassium and the calories are not like those in doritos! ok to have a banana--espec as many of your other fruit choices are limited.
    #3 do blueberries give you the itchy mouth? if not, they are fabulous anti-oxidants!
    #4 do a test with the melons (cantaloupe, watermelon and honeydew) to see if those cause itchies. they might, so be prepared--perhaps have some benadryl on hand to quell those reactions before they get serious.
    #5 and altogether see a reputable allergist--you don't want to have a anaphylactic reaction/shock to these items, so it should get documented with a dr and have adequate preparations in place, including a med-alert bracelet, possibly.
    food allergies/sensitivities are real and not to goof around with. so deal with that aspect of your diet/health soon.

i'm sorry you didn't quite ask for this, but i'm a mom, and i get motherly on people sometimes. :laugh: i hope you take it in the helpful spirit it is intended. :flowerforyou:
  • singbeach
    singbeach Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Yes, sugar and processed foods, confusing...between South Beach, Whole Foods diet...Weight Watchers....but I do believe less sugar, less processed, more raw, natural is better, Right? I do get confused w SB though, frown on bananas, but better to have 1/2 banana and cereal than pastry? ug.
  • Kasey42588
    Options
    bummer on the apples and nuts and berries. you are definitely having an allergic reaction, so don't keep eating those things as the allergic response will get stronger, and potentially put your life in jeopardy.
    #1 apples aren't such a common allergen tho. so, try natural (no sugar etc) applesauce one time (1/4 cup max) or organic apple. don't eat anything else that "triggers" that itchy mouth response and see if apples are truly a problem or just regular ones with pesticides.
    #2 bananas are an excellent source of potassium and the calories are not like those in doritos! ok to have a banana--espec as many of your other fruit choices are limited.
    #3 do blueberries give you the itchy mouth? if not, they are fabulous anti-oxidants!
    #4 do a test with the melons (cantaloupe, watermelon and honeydew) to see if those cause itchies. they might, so be prepared--perhaps have some benadryl on hand to quell those reactions before they get serious.
    #5 and altogether see a reputable allergist--you don't want to have a anaphylactic reaction/shock to these items, so it should get documented with a dr and have adequate preparations in place, including a med-alert bracelet, possibly.
    food allergies/sensitivities are real and not to goof around with. so deal with that aspect of your diet/health soon.

i'm sorry you didn't quite ask for this, but i'm a mom, and i get motherly on people sometimes. :laugh: i hope you take it in the helpful spirit it is intended. :flowerforyou:

No that all was very helpful. I can eat melons, and applesauce.. I can drink apple juice as well (although I choose not to because it stains my teeth and is LOADED with sugars) It's just plain old apples I can't eat. Someone at my work mentioned it might be the pesticides they are cleaned with, which might make sense because when I was younger, I could eat them. I've tried taking the skin off, cutting them up into small pieces, EVERYTHING.. it bums me out because I loveeee apples.
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    Both of my daughters are the same way with apples. They also have the tree nut allergy. Strangely the older one can't peel raw potatoes. She breaks out in hives. She can eat them after they are cooked.

For both of them the apple allergy came latter. We thought the pesticide to but one of them tried an apple from a local tree that had never been sprayed. Same reation, itchy mouth....

As far as your diet. You've gotten alot of good advice. More vegetables, fruits, whole grains, fiber.
    I'm in love with quinoa (a whole grain) mix in some sauted or grilled vegetables and you have a quick & easy lunch to reheat when you need it. Also if you can make homemade soups. Put them into individual serving containers.

When you first start out, cooking to eat healthier seems like alot more work. But after you get going with it and see how much food you can eat and enjoy it makes the prep more fun.

I hope you enjoy your journey to healthier:flowerforyou:
  • Kasey42588
    Options
    Both of my daughters are the same way with apples. They also have the tree nut allergy. Strangely the older one can't peel raw potatoes. She breaks out in hives. She can eat them after they are cooked.

For both of them the apple allergy came latter. We thought the pesticide to but one of them tried an apple from a local tree that had never been sprayed. Same reation, itchy mouth....

As far as your diet. You've gotten alot of good advice. More vegetables, fruits, whole grains, fiber.
    I'm in love with quinoa (a whole grain) mix in some sauted or grilled vegetables and you have a quick & easy lunch to reheat when you need it. Also if you can make homemade soups. Put them into individual serving containers.

When you first start out, cooking to eat healthier seems like alot more work. But after you get going with it and see how much food you can eat and enjoy it makes the prep more fun.

I hope you enjoy your journey to healthier:flowerforyou:

My best friend is the same way with peeling potatoes, she thinks it's the starch, but she starts sneezing, breaks out in hives, gets really itchy, and her eyes start watering. It's weird haha. I don't peel potatoes, so I don't know if I would have the same reaction. The tree nut allergy came later.. I can eat things that have tree nuts in them, just not big chunks.. so for example, my mom made cookies a few weeks ago with crushed walnuts, and I got itchy.. and they were relatively small. But I sometimes try to eat them to see if I've gotten over it, so I tried pistachios not too long ago and immediately got very itchy, so no more haha. It was hard buying granola today because everything had almonds in it.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    a few things, your foods are packed with salt and sugars. Most processed foods use sugar, salt or both to preserve them so they can sit on grocery store shelves for months. This will make you retain water and continue to gain weight. You do need to go toward more natural whole foods.

You have similar food sensitivities as my daughter. You can eat yogurt (although Trix probably isn't the best choice for your more mature body) so eat more. Not only do you need the calcium, but low fat dairy will help you lose weight and help keep PMS symptoms to a minimum. Two a day won't kill you. If you can eat bananas have 1/2 with each yogurt, add grapes, melon, and other seasonal fruits to your yogurt. It will keep you full. You can eat peanut butter so add celery for fiber or a piece of whole grain bread. Real food doesn't cost much more if there is any difference at all than processed foods. Buy the fruit and cut it up and measure it out into 5-6 days of tupperware containers so all you have to do is grab and go.

You can do the same thing with protein foods, you can buy a pack of chicken breasts, marinate each one however you like, bake or grill, portion with some brown rice and some veggies and you can put those in the fridge for ease as well (or cook a lot and freeze). Frozen veggies are good for you if you like frozen foods and don't want to waste fresh.

Last, you may be cutting too many calories out by only eating 1200 calories a day. Although I don't eat all my exercise calories each day I found that I have lost more weight eating 1500 calories a day than i did eating 1200.

Good luck, you can do this, it's all about planning. LEarn to do it now when you are sooo young so you don't battle it later, the older you get and the busier your life gets the harder it is to do this. :flowerforyou: