post-exercise hunger

Options
My usual exercise has mostly consisted of daily hour-long walks for the last few years. I added a daily 30-45 minutes of high-intensity cycling a few weeks ago. I don't want to give it up: I enjoy the feeling of accomplishment and want the cardiovascular benefits that will come with keeping this up long-term.

I exercise early in the morning and and am now struggling with feeling suddenly and intensely hungry in the early afternoon, despite eating breakfast and lunch and drinking a ton of water over the course of the day. If I eat a snack in the afternoon, I find myself wanting another one 45 minutes later, as if I hadn't eaten anything at all. The hunger level is out of proportion to the calories the cycling add to my totals.

Do any of you know of any strategy or approach that would help prevent this level of hunger from hitting? I'm good with eating the exercise calories-- I always have. But something is out of balance. Do I need to be paying particular attention to types of foods or timing?

Replies

• nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,348 Member
    edited July 2023
    Options
    My guess would be more the TYPE of food. Eating something high-carb, especially fast-digesting carbs like sugar or white bread, can spike the blood sugar, which then settles quickly after and can create hunger cues. Try adding food with more fiber and protein which are slower digesting and help create longer lasting feelings of fullness.

The change doesn't have to be drastic, either. Instead of a bagel with cream cheese, try a bagel with peanut butter. Swap your current white sandwich bread for one with higher fiber, like wheat or rye. Add fruit to your afternoon snacking.

Some people also prefer having just a little something to eat before morning exercise, even something as small as a spoon of peanut butter and an apple, for the body to attack for calories as it exercises before taking it out of your bloodstream.
  • ReReNotMe
    ReReNotMe Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I often had the post gym munchies. Sometimes it's due to dehydration so keeping topped up with water usually helps or keeping a nice refreshing snack like an apple is always good. Lately keeping hydrated during my workouts and making sure I've eaten enough before workouts like a protein bar curbs the hunger a bit more as well as having smaller more regular meals compared to three bigger meals and breakfast, lunch and dinner. Not sure if that's what your looking for, the comment above seems to explain it better than I can, but it has helped me. Good luck and don't let it deter you from continuing to exercise :)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,429 Member
    Options
    I had some problems with strength training spiking hunger for a while there, but experimented with snacks around the workout, and for me that improved things. What's filling/satisfying in different circumstances can vary quite a lot from one person to the next, so I think my advice mostly is to experiment with it.

For me, something carb-y before a workout and something protein-y after were helpful. It didn't have to be big. Before, 40-60 calories of something like hard candy, applesauce, dried fruit; after, hard-boiled egg, reduced fat string cheese, cottage cheese, Greek yogurt with berries.

(It may be partly psychological, but if so, I don't even care ;) .)
  • mikefm101
    mikefm101 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I mountain bike or road bike near daily in the summer and I have the same issue every spring when I first get back on the bike. I’m ravenous usually just after a ride and sometimes a few hours later.

It always goes away after three or four weeks. I’m guessing the body adapts.

But otherwise avoid binging to get full fast. A protein shake or bar may help. I’ll have fruits and raw vegetables and a handful of crackers or almonds after a ride The craving is often for salty things.

If you aren’t eating just after the ride you may want to do so to get ahead of the afternoon cravings.

And if you have been reading about hi calorie “recovery drinks “ a 40 minute ride doesn’t qualify for that. Don’t get caught up in the Coca Cola or chocolate milk thing until you are riding several hours. Sometimes you can catch a Tour de France rider with a Coke in their hand but it’s after they just completed a 110 mile ride through the French Alps.

Mike

• tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    Try to have your glycogen topped off before going on your ride. I know when I used to ride I would be ravenous afterwards if glycogen was low and was ok afterwards if I was carbed up prior to riding.
  • peazoo1325
    peazoo1325 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    This one is easy. High intensity cycling burns calories. Your body is responding. Simply put unless your trying to burn fat, add in the extra calories to offset the cycling. Just do it in moderation.
  • Aermorgen
    Aermorgen Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for taking the time to answer! This has been driving me mildly crazy for a few weeks now. I'll give your advice a shot.