What should I eat

Options
I am looking for tips on the best things I should be eating.....I am not a picky eater, I have grown up on good old Southern cooking(though I don't live in the south, lol). I have been eating many salds, fruits and veggies but would like more variety....I also really don't know much about good nutrition....please help :)

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    i tend to eat foods i like

for weight loss food choices don't make a ton of difference so eat foods you like, for health purposes focusing on whole foods is prob a good idea
  • sandy2006
    sandy2006 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    My focus is on lean proteins and any vegetables. I eat one fruit a day. No sweets or processed foods
  • Rachaelluvszipped
    Rachaelluvszipped Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Add me if you like..I don't follow much of a diet plan..as I have went through many and have found..just to be able to eat in moderation is the best habit..plus adding veggies and fruit in the mix is the best..eating less take out and meal planning helps!
  • cherryObebe
    Options
    i tend to eat foods i like

for weight loss food choices don't make a ton of difference so eat foods you like, for health purposes focusing on whole foods is prob a good idea

I completely disagree! The choices we make in weight loss are HUGE! You can eat 5 meals that are nutrient dense for the same amount of calories as 1-2 calorie dense meals!!!

I know the foods that you probably enjoy. I have a lot of family from the Midwest that used to eat "southern" style food. In my findings, it was also some of the most fattening and unhealthy! I can't deny that biscuits and gravy sure tasted amazing!

My biggest piece of advice is to try new foods. Try things that are healthy and have a nice combination of whole grains, healthy fats and proteins. Think of the foods that you like the most and figure out ways to modify them into something that hits the spot AND falls into a healthy, nutritious diet. Lifestyle is the key, so making the things we love healthier or finding new things to love are going to lead to success!

I love cooking and healthy eating, although I fall off the wagon like anyone else! lol Feel free to add me, message me, or post them here, and I can do my best to help you find healthier recipes or modify the ones that you love!

Good luck no matter what you decide to do! :wink:
  • Acg67
    Options

I completely disagree! The choices we make in weight loss are HUGE! You can eat 5 meals that are nutrient dense for the same amount of calories as 1-2 calorie dense meals!!!

not really i eat 1 or 2 meals a day with a dessert, total caloric deficit or surplus governs if you gain weight or lose weight, doesn't really matter where those cals from
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    its as much how you cook, as it is how you eat it. chicken that is grilled wit just a little olive oil and some spices is good. deep fried in oil, not so good.

i'm gonna give you two pretty decent recipies.

my favorite way of cooking chicken is poaching. take a deep frying pan and throw in an onion and some garlic, and just brown them a little. then add some spices and a bay leaf, and some chicken stock and water. enough liquid to cover the chicken. cover the pan and bring to a boil. add the chicken (it works best with thick whole chicken breasts) and bring to a simmer and cover. let the chicken cook for about ten minutes and then shut off the heat and let it sit in the liquid for another 10 minutes. serve it over rice and with some veggies. you can even take the onions from the liquid and put them on top.

second recipie: slice some potatoes one inch thick and put in a pot with water and put to boil. they'll be ready when you can stick a fork in them and the fork slides out. preheat the oven to 400. mean while, take a frying pan with 1 tbsp of olive oil and brown some turkey or chicken sausage. when brown, put them in a baking pan and slice in half. in the frying pan with the same oil (feel free to add another tbsp) and brown the potatoes and then put them in the baking pan. then take some chopped up onions and peppers and put in the frying pan. when ready put them in the baking pan. add 4-6 ounces white wine, italian seasoning, salt and pepper to taste, and a cup of water. put in the oven for 20 minutes.
  • Ahmee2034
    Ahmee2034 Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Hey, check out that 100 items Dr. Oz wants in your grocery cart. It really helped me to make good choices and it made it easy to find the things I like to eat. It is a practical list, not one of those crazy lists that has things you never heard of. I'm from the deep south, way south, and I know how you feel.
  • cherryObebe
    Options

not really i eat 1 or 2 meals a day with a dessert, total caloric deficit or surplus governs if you gain weight or lose weight, doesn't really matter where those cals from

No, really! Please do your research! Agree with caloric deficit dictating weight loss BUT eating numerous meals throughout the day doesn't spike the blood sugar as much and your body doesn't try to conserve because it 'knows' it has food coming again soon!

ALSO - it DOES matter where those calories come from. Ever heard of EMPTY CALORIES? Eat nutrient dense foods that are low in calories and you will be eating all day long. Eat a little calorie dense meal for the same amount of calories as 3 meals previously mentioned and you will be hungry again in a matter of hours!
  • Acg67
    Options

No, really! Please do your research! Agree with caloric deficit dictating weight loss BUT eating numerous meals throughout the day doesn't spike the blood sugar as much and your body doesn't try to conserve because it 'knows' it has food coming again soon!

research eh?

http://www­.ncbi.nlm.­nih.gov/pu­bmed/19943­985
    This study shows there was no difference in weight loss between subjects with high/low meal frequencie­s.

http://www­.ncbi.nlm.­nih.gov/pu­bmed/91554­94
    Evidence supports that meal frequency has nothing to do with energy in the subjects.

http://www­.ncbi.nlm.­nih.gov/pu­bmed/11319­656
    Yet again, no difference in energy in the subjects compared to 2 meals/d to 6 meals/d.

http://www­.ncbi.nlm.­nih.gov/pu­bmed/19059­98
    Eur J Clin Nutr. 1991 Mar;45(3):­161-9.Link­s
    Influence of the feeding frequency on nutrient utilizatio­n in man: consequenc­es for energy metabolism­.

http://www­.ncbi.nlm.­nih.gov/pu­bmed/11319­656
    Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord. 2001 Apr;25(4):­519-28.Lin­ks
    Compared with nibbling, neither gorging nor a morning fast affect short-term energy balance in obese patients in a chamber calorimete­r.

so go on...
  • cherryObebe
    Options
    I too can link to database articles that no one can open. Nice try... Anyone with an education knows that you can find studies that test hypotheses and have a wide array of findings. It is once a theory has been proven that it becomes more. I can link you to study after study after study about weight loss, the health effects of infrequent meals, etc.

If you want nonworking links, I can post those too.

In addition, care to post findings that a spike in blood glucose doesn't have a negative effect on the human body?
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    come guys, stay on topic.
  • cherryObebe
    Options
    come guys, stay on topic.

I stand by my original post. :wink:
  • Acg67
    Options
    I too can link to database articles that no one can open. Nice try... Anyone with an education knows that you can find studies that test hypotheses and have a wide array of findings. It is once a theory has been proven that it becomes more. I can link you to study after study after study about weight loss, the health effects of infrequent meals, etc.

If you want nonworking links, I can post those too.

In addition, care to post findings that a spike in blood glucose doesn't have a negative effect on the human body?

ok here are two postings from respected people in the industry on meal frequency, i'll get the updated links to the studies

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/meal-frequency-and-energy-balance-research-review.html#more-1389

http://www.leangains.com/search/label/Meal Frequency

"In addition, care to post findings that a spike in blood glucose doesn't have a negative effect on the human body?"

since you bring it up, the onus is on you to substantiate that a spike in blood glucose has a negative effect, i will say i find it curious that many trainers and nutritionists recommend consuming a protein shake with a fast acting CHO to spike blood glucose levels if it was so detrimental to one's body

and please do show controlled studies that show infrequent meals hinder weight loss, not observational
  • cherryObebe
    Options
    Anyone interested can go find the information easily. This post isn't about that as another poster mentioned.

I personally take A&P classes and Clinical Nutrition classes as a nursing student and know what is taught in the medical community. Have a nice night sir.

Oh and feel free to look up the difference between the education that a dietician and that of a trainer or nutritionalist get. As a nursing student I am taking the same nutrition course that dieticians are taking...
  • Acg67
    Options
    Effect of meal frequency on glucose and insulin excursions over the course of a day
    http://www.e-spenjournal.org/article/S1751-4991(10)00054-5/abstract

"Conclusions
    In non-obese individuals, glucose levels remained elevated throughout the day with frequent CHO meals compared to 3CHO meals, without any differences in the insulin levels. Increasing the protein content of frequent meals attenuated both the glucose and insulin response. These findings of elevated glucose levels throughout the day warrant further research, particularly in overweight and obese individuals with and without type 2 diabetes."
  • tthomps71
    Options
    Every morning as soon as I roll out of bed, I have 1/2 c of oats wit a little salt and vanilla. Huge glass of water- gets me through my morning workout and makes me feel full since Im very hungry when I wake up in the morning.

After workout every day:

I thorw cup or so of mushroom, soe onions, pepeprs anything else Im in the mood for-salt and garlic powder- simmer for a bit. then throw in some spinach...then 2 eggs, scramble over it all (maybe a dd a few egg whietes if really hingry) cook to texture of the eggs you like.

I highly recommend La Tortilla Factory tortillas- I toss one a bit in the frying pan to warm, thorw some 2% cheese on it. throw the egg/veggie mexture overtop, add some salsa. and EAT!!

its amazing. super high in protein, fiber, tons of veggies and around 400 calories.

Eat all but about 250-300 of your calories before dinner- makes for flatter tummy and faster weight loss.

Eat every few hours- If you are eating right and exercising...you will be hungry that often. greek yogurts are wonderful as well, much more protein, a bit more claries but worth it.

Best of luck to you
  • debclif
    debclif Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Well, I am no guru on this topic, but I've lost over 10 lbs in the past 8 weeks so I will tell you what I do and I eat.

I eat alot of salad. I found what I feel is the greatest dressing the world "Ken's Lite Northern Italian" it is like 45 calories for 2 tablespoons. I've learned no matter where you go they have a healthy salad just not good dressing so I bring my own. My fav. at home salad:

Romaine lettuce, feta cheese, cucumber (for crunch), tomatoes, grilled chicken or steak, a small piece of an avocado and wonderful ken's dressing. I sometimes dress it with an egg and/or crasins.

ALSO: Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for lunch, on whole wheat, but proportioned out. **always measure**

Lots of steamed veggies. and I also make sure to check my proportions. It is a pain at the beginning but you get used to it.

Almost every morning I have an scrambled egg, no milk on a arnolds flat rolls (only 100 calories for the roll) I also use the flat roll for everything. cheeseburgers, tuna, ham and cheese sandwiches.

Good Luck
  • Acg67
    Options
    Anyone interested can go find the information easily. This post isn't about that as another poster mentioned.

I personally take A&P classes and Clinical Nutrition classes as a nursing student and know what is taught in the medical community. Have a nice night sir.

Oh and feel free to look up the difference between the education that a dietician and that of a trainer or nutritionalist get. As a nursing student I am taking the same nutrition course that dieticians are taking...

and please feel free to actually substantiate your claims with something then a little more then i take classes as a nursing student
  • cherryObebe
    Options
    Effect of meal frequency on glucose and insulin excursions over the course of a day
    http://www.e-spenjournal.org/article/S1751-4991(10)00054-5/abstract

"Conclusions
    In non-obese individuals, glucose levels remained elevated throughout the day with frequent CHO meals compared to 3CHO meals, without any differences in the insulin levels. Increasing the protein content of frequent meals attenuated both the glucose and insulin response. These findings of elevated glucose levels throughout the day warrant further research, particularly in overweight and obese individuals with and without type 2 diabetes."

LMAO! Do you even know or read what you are posting? Do you know what this study is based on? Any idea what CHO is compared to 3CHO?
  • trelm249
    trelm249 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    To the OP,

Wow what a wide open question. I understand it though. Changing stuff up and adding variety keeps it interesting. Also learning from others fills in our gaps.

Many of us have open diaries. Have a look at them and look at the kind of goals and success those people have. Based on that and your own goals, I am sure you can pick up some new ideas. If you have questions about specifics, shoot that person a message.

Enjoy growing and learning.