Food advice for a pregnant chick!!(Safe and unsafe)

Options
TamTastic
TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
I was pregnant before and knew to watch certain things but I may have been a little TOO careful. Most of this is easy enough to stay away from. I do eat sushi rolls but stick to the cooked shrimp or veggie ones.

I have eaten a few things like "Oscar Meyer Brown Sugar Ham". Do you think those are OK? Is it just the meats you purchase at the deli??

Also, the cheeses can be eaten if they are heated right?? I miss my gorgonzola!!!!! :sad:

Thanks! Just being a spaz today!! lol There is way too much info on the internet sometimes! :laugh:

Do not eat
Cheeses
# blue cheese (or any cheese that has blue "veins")
# Brie
# Camembert
# feta
# gorgonzola
# queso blanco
# queso fresco
# romano
# Roquefort
# Stilton
# any cheese that says "raw milk"
# any cheese that says "unpasteurized"
Meats
# refrigerated pate or meat spreads
# cold cuts or lunch meats (cold)
# raw or cold hot dogs
# rare or raw beef
Seafood
# refrigerated smoked seafood (Nova-style, lox or kippered)
# sashimi (slices of raw fish)
# nigiri (raw fish with rice)
# sushi rolls containing raw fish
# raw shellfish, such as clams or oysters
# swordfish
# tilefish
# king mackerel
# shark
# ceviche or seviche, which is seafood "cooked" using citrus juice or another acid

Replies

• TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    I was pregnant before and knew to watch certain things but I may have been a little TOO careful. Most of this is easy enough to stay away from. I do eat sushi rolls but stick to the cooked shrimp or veggie ones.

I have eaten a few things like "Oscar Meyer Brown Sugar Ham". Do you think those are OK? Is it just the meats you purchase at the deli??

Also, the cheeses can be eaten if they are heated right?? I miss my gorgonzola!!!!! :sad:

Thanks! Just being a spaz today!! lol There is way too much info on the internet sometimes! :laugh:

Do not eat
    Cheeses
    # blue cheese (or any cheese that has blue "veins")
    # Brie
    # Camembert
    # feta
    # gorgonzola
    # queso blanco
    # queso fresco
    # romano
    # Roquefort
    # Stilton
    # any cheese that says "raw milk"
    # any cheese that says "unpasteurized"
    Meats
    # refrigerated pate or meat spreads
    # cold cuts or lunch meats (cold)
    # raw or cold hot dogs
    # rare or raw beef
    Seafood
    # refrigerated smoked seafood (Nova-style, lox or kippered)
    # sashimi (slices of raw fish)
    # nigiri (raw fish with rice)
    # sushi rolls containing raw fish
    # raw shellfish, such as clams or oysters
    # swordfish
    # tilefish
    # king mackerel
    # shark
    # ceviche or seviche, which is seafood "cooked" using citrus juice or another acid
  • paula123
    paula123 Posts: 91
    Options
    I haven't heard of half those cheeses so I don't think I ate those when I was pregnant but I did eat lunch meat ( from the deli), I know your not suppose to but I did anyways, I just would eat it as soon as I bought it and didn't let it sit long. It didn't do anything to "us" I had a VERY healthy baby over 9 lbs :laugh: :tongue: And I didn't have any diabetes problems either lol
  • Mireille
    Mireille Posts: 5,134 Member
    Options
    The deli hams should be okay unless of course you live in Ontario and have semolina issues. :grumble:
    As for unpasteurized cheese, I'm not sure how much you have to heat them in order for them to be okay.

I know there are certain fishes you should stay away from due to mercury. I think I read canned tuna should be eaten in moderation.

Being pregnant is so complicated. :ohwell:

:flowerforyou:
  • emikarls
    emikarls Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    :heart: I believe the rule of thumb is to avoid "soft cheeses". Once they are heated though, I am not sure if it kills the things that we are supposed to stay away from while preggers. Put it on your list of things to ask the dr. The list seems to get longer and longer of things that we should avoid while pregnant. I ate hotdogs like crazy with pregnancy #1, but by #3 it was on the no-no list, so I stayed away from them...even though I had no issues with eating them with #1.

All we can do it create the best nest for our babies for the 9-10 months they are there. No drinking, smoking, hotdogs, is fine...but as long as you have your rolls, you will be ok:flowerforyou:

love ya.:heart:
  • Venusjems
    Venusjems Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I think the meats you should stay away from are Pepporoni, Salami, Bologna. You have to heat them to kill a food poisoning called listeriosis.
    Normal people dont get sick from it, but it can do damage to a fetus. My doctor said though if you want or crave a Bologna sandwhich, eat one piece... Just dont go overboard and eat 25 pieces on a sandwhich!! Most of the bad stuff is in the liquid that is in the bags.
    Definetly add Canned Tuna to the list.. The same thing applies there, i think you can eat a small can once a week... You shouldnt eat it everyday because of the mercury.

We also got "farm eggs" from some friends and i would scrub the outside of the egg, and make sure it was scrambled well and rarely ate them "runny" was just afraid of Salmonella! But maybe that was me being too careful too!!

I ate lots of girlscout cookies, and oh my favorite was a cream cheese danish.. I had one about every day... And i wondered why i gained 70lbs??!?!?!?