Blue Diamond unsweeted almond milk

Options
Just bought this and tried it for the first time today. It only has 40 calories per serving, but if you can drink skim milk I don't understand why one would drink this instead. Are there more health benefits? It has a lot less protein and more fat.

Replies

• rockylucas
    rockylucas Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Well it has less calories, which is the most important measure for weight loss. 40 calories isnt much, but if you just loved milk, and drank a lot of it, I could understand switching to this product to lower your calorie intake.
  • kanga1980
    Options
    just watch "Forks over Knives"
  • trelm249
    trelm249 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I use it to better offset the sugar intake with skim milk.
  • whatwentwrong
    Options
    i use unsweetened coconut milk atm which has 50 calories. i only really use milk IN things, i never drink it plain, and i use it instead of skim because i'm able to use those 40 saved calories for something else :)

if i felt like drinking a glass of milk, however, i'd go for skim. some people really like the taste of non-dairy milks, but i am not one of them D:
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, milk (even skim) has a lot of milk sugar (lactose) that can have some very adverse affects on your body. Almond milk doesn't have lactose in it, so it doesn't cause your body to freak out.

My trainer told me that humans are the only species that drink milk after they're weaned - simply put - we don't NEED milk...dairy is more of a luxury for us. The FDA just wants you to think you have to have dairy in order to get calcium, when in all actuality a cup of steamed spinach has more calcium in it than a cup of milk does. So many people have dairy allergies and don't even realize it - some of the main symptoms being complexion problems, digestive problems, sinus/allergy problems just to name a few.

I use almond milk all the time in place of regular milk. It takes a little getting used to, but it's well worth the calorie deficit!
  • naesue
    naesue Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    One Reason I use it is because of the calorie count!!! Also because the fats in it are derived from almonds it is healthy fats that are good for you. It also has less carbs which i watch very closely!
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I believe it's the type of fat that makes it "better". Almond milk doesn't have saturated fats and I believe it also doesn't have cholesterol. I only use it to replace milk in certain things....like smoothies, and I'm trying to use it in cereal, but the flavor is definitely different.
  • New_Hope
    Options
    I'm seriously lactose intolerant (even lactaid doesn't always help), so I've come to love Almond milk and Silk. Especially the vanilla flavors. They're wonderful in cereal and I have a low calorie pumpkin eggnog recipe that uses unsweetened almond milk.
  • EthanJeremiahsMama
    Options
    My FAVORITE!! I have this everyday, literally. with my oatmeal or a protein smoothie! :)
  • irongirl73
    irongirl73 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    According to Forks over Knives....good at first but then gets boring.....animal products lead to cancer and other unwanted health problems and we should all eat whole foods. Almond milk over cow's milk is what they promote. Everything in moderation is my philosophy.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Make your own almond milk, it's cheaper and healthier, store bought almond milk is full of chemical stabilizers.
  • catwrangler
    catwrangler Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    I.LOVE.cow's milk.

Which is why I don't buy it. I could drink a gallon a day of skim. So to avoid that, I buy almond, soy or flax milk. I am really liking the flax milk.
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    I like it because I'm lactose intolerant. I don't want to take a Lactaid pill just to have a simple bowl of cereal.
  • Forensic
    Forensic Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Lactose intolerant, don't like soy milk unless it's chocolate (sugar city), hate coconuts in all their forms, so... almond. Plus less sugar, fewer calories. Yay! I have hated milk since childhood though (comes from an entirely lactose intolerant family, pretty much) so I only really use it in tea, coffee, and cereal.

I cook with it too, though, except instant pudding. Yeah, that doesn't work.
  • bhagavatilad1
    Options
    old wifes tale is that almonds are good for your brain true.
  • bhagavatilad1
    Options
    ditto