Looking for a bike

Options
What's a good bike that's under $400 and that can be used on gravel, road and dirt. Looking to just ride it around the neighborhood, parks for recreational use and losing weight. I am a 6'2 male that weighs around 220 pounds

Replies

• slade51
    slade51 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    $400 is tough unless you look in a big-box store (Dicks, Walmart, Academy sports, Costco).
    I picked up a Schwinn MTB from Walmart for $200 around 3 years ago to see if I was serious about getting back into biking (at 68yo 5’10” 250 lbs). I’ve put around 2500 miles on it, and it’s about done for.

I’ve been looking at hybrid Trek (Verve and FX) and Cannondale between $500-$800.

My advice - go to a local bike shop to at least get fitted to the correct size. Test ride a few models. Be truthful about what you’ll actually use it for rather than what you’d like to try. How many miles/hours a week will you ride? They might have some used bikes in your range.

As with good tools, you’ll hear “Buy nice or buy twice” or “Buy once, cry once”, but also balance it with are you sure you will use it.
    Sure, I realize that I should have spent more to start, but now I know that I’ll actually use it. And I realize now that I don’t need a mountain bike for 90% neighborhood roads and 10% gravel/dirt trails.

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,145 Member
    Options
    This is low probability, but just in case it may apply: I live near a big university - really big, like 40k+ students. Every year, hundreds of graduating students abandon pretty decent bikes. The university figured that out, and has a sort of bike shop that puts them back in good condition, then sells them through the university surplus operation. There are some good deals. If you have an option like this, it can be good to take a bike-knowledgeable friend with you to buy, or take advantage of some sale event (like ones we have here periodically) where the bike shop people are at the surplus store to help with selection.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    I live in an area with quite a few cyclists and a bunch of bike shops, many selling high end bikes. One shop has an annual consignment/tent sale. This is a way to find good used bikes, many of very high quality, since many bike junkies trade in one or two year old bikes for the newest models. Years ago, I picked up an older Cannondale road bike at the sale for $300. Still use it today as my trainer bike.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,390 Member
    Options
    I would think a good second-hand bike that costs at least 800 new. Also adding that most bikes are not really made for heavier people. You're probably still fine, but better check it. If you're going downhill on a bike made for 240lbs you're certainly going over it with every tiny bump.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,453 Member
    Options
    Facebook marketplace? Craigslist? NextDoor?

My daughter’s town in Europe has monthly used bike markets. Brilliant idea. Never heard of that in the US, though. She’s also got a bike store on every corner, like we’ve got quickie marts.

If you’ve got a neighborhood Facebook or whatever group, ask on it. There’s probably some decent bike sitting around unloved in someone’s garage.

My husband’s employer gifted us a pair of cruisers when he retired. Mine never got ridden til I started weight loss. Now I ride around with a stupid happy grin. I can’t help smiling when biking. I feel so young and free, lol. May you have the same experience!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,145 Member
    Options
    Here, other things that exist are a bike co-op, and a big cycling club. If you have anything similar in your area, you might reach out and ask them about places to find a good used bike in your price/weight range.