Calling all former smokers!!!

Options
I stopped smoking today. I felt like something was missing all day. Of course I knew what it was. My appetite increased X10 today. I ate, and I ate, and I ate some more. This is day one. I refuse to let that be day 2. Any suggestions from the former smokers on how to cope?

Replies

• wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Chewing gum was the trick for me.

Before you start though, give me 30 seconds to buy stock in Wrigley's :P
  • xhaller
    Options
    I actually read a book called The Easy Way to Quit Smoking. Unlike the title says, it wasn't trivializing the process. But it really turned it into a mind over matter situation and made you think consciosuly of all the ways it is such a bad decision. I'd recommend it if you need some inspiration.
  • Snakey74
    Snakey74 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Get some sugarless gum...STAT.
    If you smoked in the car, invest in some sugarless suckers. They help the hand-to-mouth issue until you get used to not smoking. You can also try electronic cigarettes, but it's not going to help the mindset that you're without cigarettes much.

Good luck! You can do this!
  • Ireshgurl
    Options
    Water, gum, working out, distraction of ANY kind. Every one is different with how they deal with the cravings when you quit. And don't feel bad if you do snack. If you know your gonna eat and eat and eat, then choose to eat HEALTHY. 100 cal snack packs if you need the sugar fix, fruit, popcorn, etc. You get my drift and give yourself a little leeway and less guilt. It's not like your gonna eat and eat and eat forever, just a little while. Don't stress about it, that'll just make it worse, lol. Good luck and you can do it!!!
  • lawtechie
    lawtechie Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Celery, Carrots and other hard crispy stuff to gnosh on. They are low calorie, good for you (obviously) and keep your hands and mouth busy.

Also, get away from what ever you used to do when you wanted to smoke.

For me that meant nearly a month of little to no evening computer time, because I used to chain smoke at the computer. Go for a walk, take a different route home (if you're used to smoking in the car) and just switch things up in general.

Congrats on making one of the best choices to get healithier!

Kristina , 26 months quit
  • Leslietheriot
    Leslietheriot Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Chewing gum and keeping your mind off of it. Any time you have a craving, go do something. It will pass. I actually started my "diet" and stopped smoking at the same time. I had to remember that I was doing it to be healthy. If I can do it (and didn't leave a wake of bodies in my path) you can do it too :)
  • bjshooter
    bjshooter Posts: 1,174 Member
    Options
    When you cant control the urge brush your teeth or drink water.

I smoke though, so I shall slink away quietly :D

Good luck.
  • reese66
    reese66 Posts: 2,920 Member
    Options
    Carrot stick, cucumbers, stuff like that... Find things to keep your hands busy. Good job though on quitting!!!
  • CharlieBarleyMom
    CharlieBarleyMom Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I quit quite a few times before I found Chantix. I know it has a bad rap (and potentially so do all drugs)... but most of the bad rap I didn't know until AFTER I had already started taking it (depression issues). The nausea (20 minutes after each pill EVERY time) -- and the vivid dreams (a few) were nothing when the result is I HAVE NEVER EVER craved a cigarette since before I put my last one out.

That drug is NOT FOR EVERYONE and I am not telling anyone to use it... check with your doctor. I stopped smoking when I looked in my pack, saw 2 cigarettes and decided that I wouldn't buy anymore the next day. I figured... what the heck... I was already down to 3 cigs a day because I no longer thought about them... only continued out of habit... so it was easy. Easiest thing I've ever done.

Sorry I cannot be of help to you at this point... just wanted to share. (Last cigarette May 2, 2009)
  • Kiwi_Chickie
    Options
    every one is different, I went totally cold turkey, and now a year down the track I am 100% smoke free, and I am love it !! I kept reminding my self of what I was gaining...new extended heatlhy life for myself , husband, children, family friends, my chances of cancer and heart disease have dropped dramatically, my fitness leve has risen, and I can breathe without all the wheezing. sugar free gum worked a treat, to curb cravings, not to mention the smell of when friends and family would walk in the door after a *kitten* made ( and still makes) me gagg, but really, it all comes down to will power, I have been tempted so many times and you will be too , but hang in there , it wil be totally worth it , remember one day at a time, thats all there is to it ! good luck newly found non smoker! I wish you all the best on this tricky journey.
  • greenscrapcat
    Options
    I quit almost 2 years ago. Then I started eating right and exercising. Exercising is key! Feel like a cigarette, go for a walk!

Good luck, you can do it!
  • SeaShell33
    Options
    I quit 8 years ago and all I can say is that I made the DECISION to stop, no matter what. I knew there would be hard days, but I had the CHOICE to give in to those or make the DECISION there was no other option. You can do this!!! You just have to want to bad enough to deal with the hard times. I used to go for a run, how ever short it was whenever I wanted to smoke...it reminded me why I was quitting because I couldnt breath! It also helped me not to eat so often. You are making great changes for yourself and it WILL get better...now I cant stand the smell and it totally grosses me out. Someday you will look back and be so proud of yourself for doing something so hard, because you are that strong :smile: good for you!!!!!
  • _Sally_
    _Sally_ Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Try to take a slow breath in (like you're taking a drag on a cigarette), then hold it for a few seconds, then slowly blow it out.

This used to take the edge off for me...
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,627 Member
    Options
    I used Chantix this time so really didn't do as badly with the eating. But when I got a smoking craving, cinnamon was my best friend. Cinnamon tic tacs, cinnamon gum, cinnamon toast. The best was the gum and lots of water. Straws work too as something to chew on and have in your mouth. Rather inexpensive and cut into thirds. Also brush teeth after eating anything, I hate the way things taste after toothpaste. Remember to breathe!!!!!!! Slow deep breathes with long exhales, as if you were smoking. It is a stress reliever without the nicotine.

Been smoke free since March 2010, still miss it sometimes, but overall am glad I did. Surround yourself with positive people and remember that it is one day at a time!

Good luck!
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    I quit in January of 08 and I used nicotine lozenges.
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    its not that you are hungrier..its the missing oral fixation the cig provided.

i used whole sunflower seeds and popped a small handful in my mouth and chew
  • Bloviate
    Bloviate Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I quit dozensof times before I finally had my last cigarette in 1996. I used Nicorette gum. That way my body was still getting the nicotine and I could deal with all the social and habitual aspects of smoking. You know, lighting up after every meal, whenever the phone rang, pulling out of the driveway, sitting down to watch TV, etc. Once I had worked through those things, I tapered off the Nicorette.