I think I've hit a plateau

Options
So I started MFP a couple weeks ago and have been doing great, almost 15 lbs down....and then nothing! It's getting frustrating...I think I've hit a plateau and I know I need to keep going but when the scale doesn't budge...it's discouraging :(

Replies

• stef_3
    stef_3 Posts: 173
    Options
    It is, I had a 3 month plateau. I started the 30 day shred 2 weeks ago and am currently doing a 3 day detox to kick start my weight loss again. On top of running 6-10 miles a week. Don't give up
  • SunshineKisses_2012
    Options
    The number on the scale may not always move, but I would recommend you measuring yourself. Having a 15 lb loss in two weeks is awesome, but not sustainable. Your body was shocked into losing the weight and now it has figured out your game.

Measure yourself. Make sure you are eating enough (eating less does not always mean you are going to lose weight...starvation mode WILL kick in!). Make sure you are drinking enough water. Make sure you are giving your body adequate time (days off) to repair.

Good luck!
  • stef_3
    stef_3 Posts: 173
    Options
    In the last 2 weeks I've lost 5 pounds, finally, it's coming off again.
  • tammylwv
    tammylwv Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    you're right. Don't give up. Has anything changed lately? Like stress? Are you eating enough calories? Maybe your body is used to the exercise you're doing. There are a lot of factors that can cause a plateau. A lot of people with cycle their calories or some call it zig zag. It's where you vary your caloric intake each day but you still consume the right amount of calories for the week. For example, if your weekly consumption should be 12,000 which equals out to 1714 daily but you can adjust the calories each day. 1200 one day 1400 another day, etc. At the end of the week it should still be up being around 12,000.

The body doesn't get used to this change so it keeps it going. Hang in there! You're doing great...15lbs in just a couple weeks is great! :)
  • LoriL41
    Options
    I hit a plateau a few weeks ago...I got through it by completely changing my workouts and varying my daily caloric intake. Instead of just walking/running every day, I added weight training and zumba. While my weight isn't falling off at the rate it was in the beginning, I'm still losing .5 to 1.5 pounds per week......just stick with it and you'll get there. The more you lose the harder you have to work for each lost pound!
  • LoriL41
    Options
    I hit a plateau a few weeks ago...I got through it by completely changing my workouts and varying my daily caloric intake. Instead of just walking/running every day, I added weight training and zumba. While my weight isn't falling off at the rate it was in the beginning, I'm still losing .5 to 1.5 pounds per week......just stick with it and you'll get there. The more you lose the harder you have to work for each lost pound!
  • deannakwilson
    deannakwilson Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    A plateau is to be celebrated! It means your body is doing what it is supposed to be doing...adapting. But now it's time to change up your exercise routine. Add frequency or intensity. Change up your cardio to something new that will challenge your body to have to adapt again!
  • jamielise2
    jamielise2 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    They happen. Make sure you're exercising, drinking lots of water, and eating most of your workout calories back. When I've hit plateaus I've busted them by eating more for a few days, then cutting back calories. My goal is to keep my net calories averaging around 1300-1400 a day. But some days it's only a net of 900 calories, and some days it's 1500. Keeping your body guessing will keep it from getting too much of a plateau.
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    i've had a 9 month plateau and have learned many things in this period:

1. the scale lies (see my last blog post)
    2. the scale isn't the best/only indictor...use inches and body fat measurements
    3. try zig-zagging your calories
    4. change the intensity of your work outs (i.e HIIT or sprints)
    5. lift heavy weights...this increases your BRM and will let you burn more calories during the day
    6. just keep going....your body is doing the plateau thing as an evolutionary protection mechanism so make sure you are eating enough calories so that you aren't starving yourself and eventually the body will change
  • rm830
    rm830 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I try to stick close to my calorie goal, 1740...and I have increased my workouts so I hope that helps. I'm working out more frequently and longer than I ever have before. Water...now that's where I seem to have a problem. I always think I'm drinking a lot of water, and then I enter it and I'm usually at 6 glasses :( I'm not trying to lose 5 lbs a week, I know that's not reasonable..I just want 1 to 1.5 lbs a week. I will start measuring though, because I truly feel like my body is changing, just that scale is not going anywhere!
  • rm830
    rm830 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Oh, I had lost 11 lbs before I started MFP, that's why the ticker only says 4 lbs :)
  • missxeve
    Options
    I hit a plateau about two weeks in also... and it lasted 2 weeks! Finally the scale changed and I dropped two pounds but I really have no idea how it happened. Wish I could be of more help!
  • Just stick with it. I am on a a7 month plateau. I don't count this month because I took a break out of frustration. Definitely take your measurements, they will help keep you focused :D