Core Exercises - Anyone with experience on what worked well?

Options
Research has show that pure abdominal crunches are not very effective. It took 425,000 crunches (that's over 130,000/day) to loose ONE POUND. That's a lot of crunches for not much of a result. Most of the equipment out there (advertised) are not very effective on working your entire core. There are some amazing exercises show on the net, but in reality I'm not sure most of us can do them the way they are shown without a trainer. Listed below is a link to some for men. So the question is open to Men and Women. List the Ab Exercises that you have personally used and found the most effective or efficient way to strengthen your core and get that beloved 6 pack look or close (as women's builds are different).

http://www.menshealth.com/fitness/best-abs-workout-ever

Replies

• babyblake11
    babyblake11 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    its not very realistic to want to burn calories with JUST core exercises
  • ssswalsh
    ssswalsh Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    The huge number of crunches and a lose of one pound is poor data. Anyone doing that kind of work is doing it in conjuction with other exercises. The best exercise i have found for core work is TRX training. I have kinda relaxed on my cross training this summer and have only been using my bike but have started to train with my TRX and i have to say it is the BEST.
  • nomoreexcusesmfp
    Options
    BOSU ball!

Use it to do your normal exercises and it's adds an extra element to your workout. serious balance and core workout!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Squats and deads build core strength and for more direct ab work, weighted ab work is prob best bang for your buck
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    guess what...all of us already have 6 pack abs. the issue is getting them to show...and you only do that by burning fat (which, by the way, you can't spot reduce). so, to answer your question...what works best? eating healthy and creating a caloric deficit over time. doing exercise to help tone up as you lose is important...and as far as tightening up the core muscles, the best exercises are: plank, side plank, spiderman push-ups, squats, jump squats, plank with toe tap, stability ball roll-out, stability ball pike.