Do you count olive oil

Options
ncl964
ncl964 Posts: 5 Member
Hi all
Do you count olive oil used to cook, when logging your food ?

Replies

• sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options
    ncl964 wrote: »
    Hi all
    Do you count olive oil used to cook, when logging your food ?

Yes, I do. A single tablespoon of any oil is 100 calories. That can add up real quick if you add oil to the bottom of the pan willy nilly when stir frying.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Yes. If you are cooking with it, not ALL of it will be absorbed into the food, but a significant portion probably will be. So, just log it all to be safe.
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,640 Member
    Options
    Olive oil is very calorie dense so yes, you absolutely should count it. People that don’t and don’t count other things that seem to be unimportant are the ones that start the posts about not being able to lose fat despite being on X amount of low calories.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,404 Member
    Options
    Yes, totally because it's very calorie dense. If you use a lot it could easily be more than what you're cooking with it.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,654 Member
    edited July 2023
    Options
    I large leaf of lettuce is 15g and about 2 Calories, in my case, while I was losing weight, less than 0.08% of my daily Caloric intake and less than 0.29% of my average deficit.

That's not a big error in counting.

15g* of olive oil is 133 Cal, in my case, while I was losing weight, about 5.20% of my daily caloric intake and about 19.14% of my total average daily deficit.**

That's a good chunk of error.

*1.13 US LEVEL tablespoons at room temperature... probably easier to weight it out

**During my first year of logging on mfp I lost at about 695 Cal a day on average while eating about 2560. I was both obese and very active when I first started logging with a TDEE well over 3000 Cal a day on average.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options
    I use non-stick pans so don't need a lot of oil. I put the pan on my food scale, add oil, and log 100% of it.

Subtracting the weight of oil left in a pan after cooking meat would likely be falsely high, as some of that would be water/juices.
  • mrmota70
    mrmota70 Posts: 525 Member
    edited August 2023
    Options
    I don’t since I use so little. I have an oil pump spray. You pump it creates pressure and like aerosol spray I just do a quick mist. I may way the pump one of these days but I would say it’s a very minute amount.
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    yes. if it’s just a little pour, i assume a tsp or half a tablespoon
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,473 Member
    Options
    mrmota70 wrote: »
    I don’t since I use so little. I have an oil pump spray. You pump it creates pressure and like aerosol spray I just do a quick mist. I may way the pump one of these days but I would say it’s a very minute amount.

Misto sprayer (available on Amazon or at good cookery shops). Refill it, pump the lid a few times and it creates a fine aerosol spray.

I can make 2lbs deliciously crispy air fries with potatoes and five grams of oil this way.
  • yirara
    Options
    5 grams oil is still about 45cals. To be honest, I love good olive oil too much and would not be happy with a quick spray. Fat means flavour, and is just needed for some dishes.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,473 Member
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    5 grams oil is still about 45cals. To be honest, I love good olive oil too much and would not be happy with a quick spray. Fat means flavour, and is just needed for some dishes.

Two pounds fries divided between two people. 😅

I still count the oil, of course, but waaaaaaaay better than the Dutch oven deep fry I used to do on anything and everything.
  • yirara
    Options
    yirara wrote: »

Two pounds fries divided between two people. 😅

I still count the oil, of course, but waaaaaaaay better than the Dutch oven deep fry I used to do on anything and everything.

Oh Dutch oven! I just though Dutch fries, chunky, triple fried with Indonesian peanut sauce, or curry sauce! Damn, I want proper fries now!
  • mrmota70
    Options
    mrmota70 wrote: »

Misto sprayer (available on Amazon or at good cookery shops). Refill it, pump the lid a few times and it creates a fine aerosol spray.

I can make 2lbs deliciously crispy air fries with potatoes and five grams of oil this way.

Yup that’s the one I own. I use oil very sparingly. The pan already is a special type and strictly use the little bit of oil for browning some onions before adding the full load like vegetables protein etc..

• mrmota70
    Options
    Grilled a few portobellos a few days ago.

My dinner tonight. I sprayed a pan with some olive oil to reheat the shrooms.

I weighed the Misto before and after. .03 of an oz is all I used. Pretty sure 7 oz is not going to mess me up. The wagyu sausage I had before shrooms well that’s a different story. 😂

4ha8r5vosymn.jpeg
    utvb3sgnzosc.jpeg