Best exercise equipment for the home?

Options
mareeya88
mareeya88 Posts: 32 Member
edited July 2023 in Fitness and Exercise
I'm eyeing the ProForm website and they have pretty good deals at the moment. However, I'm not sure which machine would be the best and most practical.

I would love a treadmill, but I'm sort of nervous about the size of it, and I have a feeling they would break. Is this true? What do you guys think about fitness mirrors or elliptical machines? Which machine do you guys enjoy the most at home?

Thank you! :)

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    My word of advice. Try walking outside first. See if it's something you'll do consistently. If you struggle with just doing that, then the treadmill will end up being a clothes hanger quickly.

If you're set on getting a treadmill, then get a second hand one. There are so many out there that have only been used a few times and are clothes hangers.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • mareeya88
    Options
    That’s a good idea! I’m not set on a treadmill but I would really love any machine. The reason I’m thinking of buying it new is for the warranty. They really are like a grand cheaper used though!
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    edited July 2023
    Options
    Power rack, barbell with at least 500 pounds of weight, room to do deadlifts, adjustable bench, leg extension/leg curl, lat pull-down, and an ability to cable tricep pushdowns, pull-ups, cable flies, cable or machine rows, dumbbells up to at least 40’sare my non-negotiablez for a home gym.

Bonus items: ez curl bar, trap bar for deadlifts, adjustable dumbbells that go up to 90 lbs.

The one thing I do miss about commercial gyms is dumbbells up to 125-130. DB bench doesn’t bother my shoulders like barbell does sometimes.
  • mareeya88
    Options
    That sounds like a lot of weight to carry! Is that recommended for women also? I don't think I've ever lifted anything over 20 pounds. It probably would be more practical to buy that vs a machine though!
  • refactored
    refactored Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I have an elliptical machine and I like it because it is low impact and works my upper body too.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,403 Member
    edited July 2023
    Options
    I’d suggest a good floor mat and to do bodyweight ex rcises. If you don’t like strength training the investment is minimal. If you like it and want weights you can buy them later. Oh, and walking/running/cycling outside

Btw, women train exactly like men. No difference
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    edited July 2023
    Options
    I personally have an all in one cable machine that I use at home in the event I can't get to the gym. So glad I had it during pandemic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpDSk-31RjA

The great thing about this machine is it has eccentric resistance unlike a Bowflex machine with rods.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • chris_in_cal
    chris_in_cal Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    mareeya88 wrote: »
    However, I'm not sure which machine would be the best and most practical.

It is an old truism. @ninerbuff said it.

When trying new sports or activity buy used equipment.

When trying a new machine, piece of equipment etc. 50%+ of people never really use it, then sell it on craigslist/facebook marketplace etc a year or so later for 75% off.

You may not use it. So only pay 25% and if you don't use it not such a lose. If you do use it, and love it, down the road you know exactly what you like and want you want when you go into pay full price for a new one.

• Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    We had a treadmill. It was loud and big, and when the track started slipping, a PITA. Getting rid of it was also annoying, since it was upstairs, and as mentioned it was big, and damned heavy. Never again. I like a recumbent bike and Netflix. More serious cyclists probably love Zwift with a proper bike set-up. If you want something higher intensity than a recumbent bike, look at an assault bike.

A lot of people swear by a rower, particularly the gold standard Concept D.

Personally, I think unless you're very obese in which case cardio is probably your best choice to get weight down, the best investment is an adjustable bench and a set of adjustable dumbbells. It gives you so much variety, doesn't take up much space, it's quiet, and it's so important for your muscle mass and bone density.
  • NationalCapital
    NationalCapital Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I understand that the Proform equipment also includes a subscription to IFIT which is an amazing product. It was a game changer for me. So many awesome walking/running/hiking outside series. Their treadmills are really sturdy so I don't you would break it.
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    That sounds like a lot of weight to carry! Is that recommended for women also? I don't think I've ever lifted anything over 20 pounds. It probably would be more practical to buy that vs a machine though!

YES!!

You don’t have to lift weights, but women aren’t weak little things. It’s my current bug bear that so many women think it’s not safe or advisable to lift - yet how much does a baby or toddler weigh? Every carried a pushchair or heavy bags of shopping up the stairs? Ever carried a wet load of washing outside? Even a bag of potatoes can weigh more than a dumbbell.

So is it recommended for women? Absolutely. But does that mean that you, personally, will enjoy using it? Not necessarily - see if you can try before you buy, or even join a gym for one month to try stuff out. See what you enjoy then price it up.

There is a huge choice of kit out there and it’s easy to buy something expensive that you get bored with quickly. So see what you can try in gyms or even from suppliers before you part with your money.
  • AnnF99
    AnnF99 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have a treadmill at home. I've been using it for half a year, it's very convenient, I recommend it
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,195 Member
    Options
    I'd always suggest "try before you buy" (with a particular type of machine, not necessarily the exact brand). Make sure you enjoy it by trying it multiple times, at a gym or a friend's home or something. Most exercise machines become expensive, dusty clothes-racks, realistically and unfortunately.

Consider some less-expensive at-home things, too: Kettlebell, resistance bands, jump rope, even a TRX knock-off, exercise videos that don't need expensive equipment. Even active video or VR games can be good.

Myself, I have a Concept 2 rowing machine (that I've had for almost 20 years in regular use), a Concept 2 bike (bought during the pandemic and used a lot since, in Winter), and some miscellaneous smaller stuff (dumbbells, bands, exercise ball, etc., that I use less often).

Before I bought the first big item, the Concept 2 rowing machine, I had already been a rower (on water as well as machine) for a couple of years. In fact, I bought the machine for a slight discount when a bunch were sold after a big rowing machine race I'd actually competed in myself. Before I bought the bike, I had taken spin classes a couple of times a week for literally years (maybe 10? don't remember), but I didn't want to keep going to group classes during the pandemic.

The magic is in finding some way of being active that you really, truly enjoy. That will be a machine for some people, and some folks do love the expensive but feature-rich machine+subscription kind of thing.

Wishing you success in finding what's best for you!
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    Forgot about the white board/journal. Everyone should track progress. We track the best completed set in our household: bqzuz752cg9q.jpeg
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Do you have a budget gym like Planet Fitness close by?

Joining, even for a month, would give you a chance to try a variety of machines to see what, if any of them, you enjoy doing and can see yourself using for the foreseeable future.

Of course, if you have a PF handy it's way cheaper to just stay there and avail yourself of a variety of equipment rather than just one machine.

Notwithstanding all of the above if I had to choose just one machine to use at home it would be my Concept2 Rower ( I can run & walk outside, I can bike outside etc)

Definitely agree with the advice to buy used if you can, so many people buy fitness equipment with the best of intentions that ends up just collecting dust.

• mareeya88
    Options
    Thank you all for your input! A lot of good ideas!

I think I'm going to visit the gym and try out the weights to see what kind of weight training I can do, or if there's another machine that's really useful. I do not want to have a giant thing that breaks like it did for RetroGuy, or for it to just take out space. I'm not made out of money!

I'm just a little concerned about doing the weight lifting improperly and breaking my back or something! I'll totally give it a go though. :)

Thank you all!! You guys are so awesome and helpful!!
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your input! A lot of good ideas!

I think I'm going to visit the gym and try out the weights to see what kind of weight training I can do, or if there's another machine that's really useful. I do not want to have a giant thing that breaks like it did for RetroGuy, or for it to just take out space. I'm not made out of money!

I'm just a little concerned about doing the weight lifting improperly and breaking my back or something! I'll totally give it a go though. :)

Thank you all!! You guys are so awesome and helpful!!
    A decent gym will give you some free instruction, and if you can afford it, a few sessions with a PT will help you to develop proper form. Defo worth the money, and again will help you discover what you enjoy and what you hate 😀
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    Another vote for considering joining a gym rather than buying a machine. Even if you local gym costs $100/month it can be cheaper than buying a usable machine. The cheaper machines break easily and/or aren't very solid. The better ones also can break and you have to pay for a repair. And, people don't budget for the value of space in their house. The gym offers variety of machines and comradery and you can quit and join a different gym whenever you want to.
  • mareeya88
    Options
    You guys are right; the gym is way more versatile and I can get help from PTs and try different workouts. The reason why I wanted a home gym is because I share my car and I can only use it at nights for work, so I can't take myself to the gym on the daytime, but I can just go there after work and it should be fine. I don't have to drain my savings for no reason! There's a Planet Fitness very close to my home too. :)

I can't wait to lose my giant stomach and legs!
  • Ernest_Nigma
    Ernest_Nigma Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    The gym is a great suggestion and some proper instruction would be worthwhile too. There are also lots of body weight exercises and cardio that can be done cheaply at or from home too. However, I still like my elliptical machine if you decide to get something for at home and have a place for it. It has a longer stride length than some, which I prefer, low impact, and moves your whole body. It's set up where I can watch the morning news or an evening movie, and it's convenient if the weather is bad or I don't want to go out for any reason. Since it's at home, I can use it wearing pajamas in the morning. You can still do all the other stuff too, but convenience, for me, means consistent use.