Help with “Goals”

Options
hapalady82
hapalady82 Posts: 10 Member
I’ve been using this app off and on for years and I’ve never really got the hang of putting in accurate activity levels. I get caught up between “lightly active” and tracking my workouts and “active” and not tracking.Maybe someone can help me?

Currently I get an average of 9-11k steps in at work everyday. I also go to the gym 4-5 times a week. Mostly strength training and some cardio.

Am I lightly active or active? And do I track my workouts but not my steps or both? I’m confused.

Replies

• sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,612 Member
    Options
    Generally, 9-11,000 steps would be considered active. Exercise is not included in that. On MFP, you're going to track your exercise just like you track your calories and it will add additional calories for you to be able to eat onto your day as you track it.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    Options
    Also, it almost kinda doesn't matter. Pick a setting (I agree with Sollyn on how you might best pick).

Follow the recommended calorie goal (logging your exercise and eating those calories, like she said) for a month to 6 weeks. (Whole menstrual cycles, assuming that applies, so you can compare your bodyweight a the same relative point in at least 2 different cycles.) If the first week or two look weird, compared to the weeks that follow, ignore those and go for another week or two.

Compare your average weekly weight loss to your (sensible) weight loss rate goal that you set in MFP. If it's as targeted, you're golden. Keep going. If it's not as expected, adjust using the concept that 500 calories per day is about a pound a week. (Use arithmetic to adjust for fractional pounds.)

Exception: If you'd have to eat fewer than 1200 net calories to achieve your target weight loss rate, change your weight loss rate intentions, unless you're very petite and pretty old: You need a basic minimum number of calories to stay energized and get good nutrition. We all want to drop weight like it's hot, but that's not necessarily the healthiest or most effective plan. Keep it healthy and sustainable.

Before the 4-6 weeks, if you seem to be losing pretty fast, and start feeling weak or fatigued, that's a danger sign. Immediately eat a little more, fine tuning until you feel better. (It may take some time: Take it!).

Otherwise - even if you don't think you're losing fast enough - stick with it, so you get clean data to let you understand your actual calorie needs. (MFP and other "calculators" actually only give statistical estimates. Your real-world results are what matter.)

So summarizing: Don't agonize over settings. Make a decent guess, then run an experiment. It's like a fun, productive science-fair project for grown-ups. That'll work great.

Best wishes for success - it's worth it!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,961 Member
    Options
    Here's the official explanation of how myfitnesspal calculates. Then you can decide how you want to use the tool.
    https://support.myfitnesspal.com/hc/en-us/articles/360032625391-How-does-MyFitnessPal-calculate-my-initial-goals-
  • VanVanDiane
    VanVanDiane Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    hapalady82 wrote: »
    I’ve been using this app off and on for years and I’ve never really got the hang of putting in accurate activity levels. I get caught up between “lightly active” and tracking my workouts and “active” and not tracking.Maybe someone can help me?

I was in the same boat when I started here and also wanted clarity on how to account for variable levels of activity etc.

The most helpful idea (for me) I read was to enter your activity level as ‘not very active’ then use a linked fitness tracker to add in extra calories for daily steps and activity. This was transformative - once my brain made the connection between step count and available calories I went from couch potato to enthusiastic walker almost overnight.

You sound like you’re already active so YMMV here but nevertheless it’s a good way to account for different levels of activity on different days and ensure you’re not over or under eating to fuel your workouts.