My feet are hurting on the treadmill!

Options
So, I walked a mile yesterday and a mile today (I know that isn’t much, but I started at 300lbs and haven’t exercised in a while) and I tried two different pairs of shoes, but my feet and ankles end up hurting so bad. My legs are fine and I could keep them moving if my feet didn’t feel so broken. Is this just because I’m so out of shape or are there tricks to keep your feet from hurting? Thanks so much!

Replies

• JaysFan82
    JaysFan82 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    So I started at 388.6 (I'm 6"4, 41 years old) and I stuck to the pool for the first bit for that reason. I moved onto Elliptical after I got down to 300 and didn't start running until I got down to 275 pounds. It was a long process.
  • MissGeorgiaPeachy
    MissGeorgiaPeachy Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    JaysFan82 wrote: »
    So I started at 388.6 (I'm 6"4, 41 years old) and I stuck to the pool for the first bit for that reason. I moved onto Elliptical after I got down to 300 and didn't start running until I got down to 275 pounds. It was a long process.

I meant to say that I’m down to 248 now from 300, but wondering if being so out of shape and not exercising for so long has made my feet and ankles weak, but not my legs or back. Did you run on a treadmill? Is it better to go on real streets? Running is the end goal for sure, but walking is kicking my butt right now, haha.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,565 Member
    Options
    You're heavy and feet are unconditioned to doing that. Also you could have the wrong shoes. Go to a place where you can get your feet fitted for the right walking shoes. Hoka are a good brand.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • MissGeorgiaPeachy
    MissGeorgiaPeachy Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    You're heavy and feet are unconditioned to doing that. Also you could have the wrong shoes. Go to a place where you can get your feet fitted for the right walking shoes. Hoka are a good brand.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I did that. I went to a running store and they measured me, watched my gait, the whole shebang, and they tried putting me in Hokas, but they didn’t have enough ankle support so they gave me a pair of Brooks instead. Last year when I was heavier than I am now I didn’t have any issues. I think I just went too long and need to recondition my feet and ankles or stop walking on the treadmill and go outside to walk maybe, I don’t know.
  • tiffanyleilarsen
    tiffanyleilarsen Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I use Merrill walking shoes otherwise my feet hurt
  • tiffanyleilarsen
    tiffanyleilarsen Posts: 43 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I did that. I went to a running store and they measured me, watched my gait, the whole shebang, and they tried putting me in Hokas, but they didn’t have enough ankle support so they gave me a pair of Brooks instead. Last year when I was heavier than I am now I didn’t have any issues. I think I just went too long and need to recondition my feet and ankles or stop walking on the treadmill and go outside to walk maybe, I don’t know.

I did this but they said my feet were too messed up for them to help me
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,425 Member
    Options
    Does the same happen when you walk outside? Maybe it's just the odd movement on the treadmill.
  • ninerbuff
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Then it's a conditioning thing. Don't do too much. Start off at maybe a half mile and see how it feels. If you end up injuring yourself, then you'll set yourself back a few weeks.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• JaysFan82
    JaysFan82 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    JaysFan82 wrote: »

I meant to say that I’m down to 248 now from 300, but wondering if being so out of shape and not exercising for so long has made my feet and ankles weak, but not my legs or back. Did you run on a treadmill? Is it better to go on real streets? Running is the end goal for sure, but walking is kicking my butt right now, haha.

I run on the treadmill mostly because our summers are very hot and our winters are very cold. I hate running in both lol.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    I've been having all sorts of feet and ankle problems lately and I'm not all that heavy! Feet and ankles bear the most weight of the body, after all.

@JaysFan82 has one of the best suggestions for heavier people. Get in the water. Now the challenge is that it requires getting into a bathing suit in public, which can be very difficult for some people. But, if you can manage that challenge, there is are several exercises that you can do, including water aerobics.

@JaysFan82 also mentions doing Elliptical. It's a fantastic way to lower the impact of exercise. The type with arm motion is particularly great. But I think it's also good to do some walking to work up your capacity for that over time.

@tiffanyleilarsen is recommending (I think) that you go to a hiking shoe rather than a walking shoe. This can help. A medium-rise hiking shoe has a lot of support.

Let me add that I wear ankle compression braces under my boots when I hike. This has been very helpful. You can get them at the pharmacy. You can also upgrade the insole inserts in your sneaker with help from someone at a running store. Once you find a brand that works, they are excellent in medium-rise hiking boots.

Best of luck!
  • mrmota70
    mrmota70 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I’d recommend applying a little biofreeze(gel is best I think) before your walks on your ankles and maybe where foot is not feeling good. I sometimes do the whole foot if needed. Depending on your speed slow it down and definitely don’t use incline. Wait a bit more to strengthen up before faster inclined walks. Also put your feet up after your walks and ice ankles on occasion.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    If it's not a conditioning thing, they you may need arch supports because the pain is likely from plantar faciitis.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,368 Member
    Options
    When I was still obese, I used to get neuropathic foot pain (from chemotherapy side-effects, not diabetes) if I was on my feet walking a lot.

I don't have any actual solution to recommend for your case, but wanted to say that I found Burt's Bees Peppermint Foot Lotion to provide some symptomatic soothing. I'm sure part of the effect was from the foot-rub needed to apply it, but other lotions didn't have the same full effect. Might be worth a try.

I don't work for Burt's Bees or anything like that, just a happy consumer.