Recommitting - the app still works!

Options
nxd10
nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
I’ve been on here a very long time. I joined in my mid-50’s, having never been on a diet before. I was just heading into the ‘overweight’ BMI category, with healthy eating habits and an active lifestyle. But I’d drifted into high calorie ‘healthy’ snacking before dinner (nuts) and too large portion sizes. My original plan had been to get back to my pre-pregnancy weight (an 18 pound loss.) Through MFP I dropped 38 pounds and got back to the slim weight I’d graduated from college at.

I maintained in that 5 pound ‘bounce zone’ for 5 years or so, but drifted upwards during Covid. I thought I could maintain without logging - MFP rarely influenced my food decisions and I was walking 5 miles a day. I was wrong. I slowly blobbed up 15 pounds. Still at my original pre-pregnancy weight and a health BMI, but feeling those clothes pinch and starting to see the scale creep upwards.

Around six weeks ago, I hit a turning point. I started logging carefully again. I had always weighed daily. And with just small decisions that weight starting coming off again. For me, macros are key. If I get more than 40% of my weekly calorie from carbs, it doesn’t matter how few calories I eat (in a sensible range). I just can’t lose. Upping my protein and, as a consequence, dropping my carbs resulted in steady weight loss. I’ve dropped 10 pounds in a few weeks. (I’m tall, so 10 pounds is less for me than for many women - but it’s a 9% drop.) And it is the same process that I started with many years ago.

I expect that I’ll do this time what I did then - drop quickly and then the weight loss will slow as the ‘easy’ fat and water drops away and we’re getting into harder core stuff my body is holding onto.

But it’s nice to know it still works.

Replies

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Ooh, lovely to see you posting @nxd10 especially with such a positive report. The Covid era didn’t affect my weight, but boy does my fitness level need some work.

Seeing your avitar always makes me smile.

Cheers, h.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I’ve lost a few pounds more. It’s the walking. I think that’s all that has changed.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Just read back on your initial post and you saying about less carbs more protein on the same cals leads to you being more successful losing weight. That could be because your energy levels change with your macro mix. More protein = better energy levels.
    Better energy levels help with getting those walks in, and probably increases your NEAT in subtly and maybe not so subtle ways.

Congrats on keeping the scale moving.

Cheers, h.