How did you start?

Options
Kelly040404
Kelly040404 Posts: 21 Member
Hey guys,

How did you all start on your weight loss journey? I’m getting so emotional and frustrated! I can’t seem to stick to anything! I’ll get it in my head to do low carb and wait for my appetite to naturally decrease and end up eating less = weight loss. But, I end up feeling deprived and go off it on day 4 😭. I try calorie restriction, then I toss in the towel the moment I remember how long it’s gonna take to lose this weight. I know I shouldn’t expect fast, but how do you all do it? 😭 I have 3 kids. Nobody in my family or at my work is dieting - I feel surrounded my temptation. Our kitchen is being renovated - so no working stove and we’ve been ordering take out for 2 weeks. I know I didn’t cook the food so my diary can’t be that accurate.

How do you keep going? How do you stay consistent? I’m an emotional eater and home life and work life is stressful right now. I just want to eat cake and ice cream! Lol

I see a pic of myself and I’m disgusted. My kids like to take those lovely “candid” photos and laugh. 😭

I’ll probably delete this post, lol, but if anyone feels like reaching out to me, please do! Maybe just typing this all out will help me.

Thank you all 🥺

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    It's much easier once you create the habit. And that takes 21 days of consistency. It's like changing the time you wake up. You may not get used to it the first week, but once your body does it consistently for 21 days, you adapt.
    DO NOT do a full 180. If you were my client, I'd pick one or two things to scale back first. Whether it's dessert or just reducing your total portion in a meal. Then in a couple of weeks, add something else.
    Yes you have temptation around you. That's where you have to REALLY WANT to do this. Post reminders on your mirror, fridge and sun visor so you always have something to keep you on path.
    As for eating out right now, look for the lower calorie options.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • ballad07doubts
    ballad07doubts Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    It’s ok to feel discouraged and frustrated…not having a functioning kitchen as you begin this process must be super stressful and a big pain.

• ballad07doubts
    ballad07doubts Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    …I hit send before I finished!

There are so many of us that feel overwhelmed by this process—you are not alone. Focus on small steps for now, especially because your life is chaotic.
  • Dellagirl5316
    Dellagirl5316 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    “Just Keep swimming” Dory
  • BronwynJacobi
    BronwynJacobi Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I had to make changes (refuse to call it a “diet”) because my arthritis was progressing due to weight affecting joints. And we were going south for the winter-I’ve gained weight every winter since I retired. So I made a few life changes. I quit soda pop, even diet. No fried food. No mayo, ketchup, or bottled salad dressing. After that, I started using MFP more consistently, and started counting calories. I really noticed the macros, especially sodium and cholesterol. So my most recent change has been limiting processed food. When we go out to eat, I check out the menu beforehand, check the nutrition/calories if the restaurant website has one, (or use MFP). I make my choices and log it onto the food diary before I get to the restaurant. And since it’s not a diet (it’s a life change!) I don’t worry about how long it will take. I also take a meal (not a whole day) off once in awhile (Hello pizza night!). I could tell a difference on my joints after the first 10 pounds. My advice is make small changes at first. Good luck!
  • Kelly040404
    Options
    Don't give up! I was living in the suburbs, married to my soulmate, and had the best life.
    Then My wife gets killed by a drunk driver and I get cancer. At first, I ate constantly to escape reality. Then I had a couple of years of chemo and a stem cell transplant. I wanted to give up and end it all. With lots of help and support, I finally felt better. What a roller coaster. Started at 212 and was 158 this morning. So no matter how bad you think it is hang on, you can do this, I'm sure of it.

Thank you so much! I am so sorry for the loss of your beloved wife - and a cancer diagnosis on top of that! I myself am I cancer survivor - 3 years out. I think a lot of my weight gain has been from depression from that and the meds I'm on. I just recently weaned off my anti-depressant in hopes that might help with weight loss. (I've put on 70 lbs since chemo). You are a perfect example of someone who faced such tragedy and pushed through! I was just telling my girls last night about how in life we can face some terrible circumstances, but we just have to keep going and eventually we overcome it. When I'm down, I remind myself that "this is just a moment in time". Thank you for sharing and congratulations on your wonderful success! Keep kicking butt! 😊
  • Kelly040404
    Options
    I had to make changes (refuse to call it a “diet”) because my arthritis was progressing due to weight affecting joints. And we were going south for the winter-I’ve gained weight every winter since I retired. So I made a few life changes. I quit soda pop, even diet. No fried food. No mayo, ketchup, or bottled salad dressing. After that, I started using MFP more consistently, and started counting calories. I really noticed the macros, especially sodium and cholesterol. So my most recent change has been limiting processed food. When we go out to eat, I check out the menu beforehand, check the nutrition/calories if the restaurant website has one, (or use MFP). I make my choices and log it onto the food diary before I get to the restaurant. And since it’s not a diet (it’s a life change!) I don’t worry about how long it will take. I also take a meal (not a whole day) off once in awhile (Hello pizza night!). I could tell a difference on my joints after the first 10 pounds. My advice is make small changes at first. Good luck!

Thank you! Funny - I was just asking my dad for his weight loss advice yesterday. He was giving me a few tips and out of everything he said, I circled in on the "cut out the mayo and ranch dressing". He also gave up diet coke - and doesn't use salt anymore. Unbelievable to me because he would salt his food SO MUCH - when he'd pick his plate up off the table, there'd be a ring of salt around his plate! And hey, I can't wait to lose my first 10 lbs - my joints are killing me! Congrats on finding what works for you and thank you for the awesome advice! 😊
  • mlrtri
    mlrtri Posts: 425 Member
    edited July 2023
    Options

Thank you! Funny - I was just asking my dad for his weight loss advice yesterday. He was giving me a few tips and out of everything he said, I circled in on the "cut out the mayo and ranch dressing". He also gave up diet coke - and doesn't use salt anymore.

I gave up Diet Coke as well. I know many people still drink it or other Diet drinks and lose weight. I decided to stop and I am happy I did. And now that I look back I think it (Diet Coke) made me more hungry. It could be in my head and I am not saying this is a truth for everyone. But it is my truth. It could also be contributed to other things. But I don’t see a con to giving it up. At the very least I have saved money not buying it 😀.

Condiments were something I adjusted very quickly after I started logging. I would log a wonderful meal and then add in the condiments and watch my calorie count go way up. Then I had a period of time when I tried to avoid all things high calorie. But I am now adding in healthy fats like nuts and avocados. They are higher calorie but they are important. It is a learning process.
  • mlrtri
    Options
    I try calorie restriction, then I toss in the towel the moment I remember how long it’s gonna take to lose this weight. I know I shouldn’t expect fast, but how do you all do it?

It is very overwhelming to think about the length of time it will take to get to your goal weight. However, you do start to look and feel better long before you get to the ultimate goal. I am not at my goal but my appearance has improved and I have so much more energy. I try to focus on just improving every month. And eventually I will hit my goal.
  • ldaltonbishop
    ldaltonbishop Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    When I was thirty-one I realized I had gained two pounds over the last year. Just two pounds. I thought that wasn't too bad. Then I did the math and realized if I gained just two pounds a year over the next fifty years, it would add up to a hundred pounds. So, sometimes just not gaining is a small victory.

When I did start to get serious about my weight, I switched to a salad plate instead of a full dinner plate. It didn't take as much food to make it look full. When I got really serious about health, I tried to let half the plate be full of leafy greens or lower-carb vegetables. And walking, just adding a thirty-minute walk most days, really can make a difference.

You can do this. Set small goals, but also think of long-term benefits.
  • PaisleyJen
    PaisleyJen Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    As everyone has said pick a small sustainable change for me this time I will start in the same place my last success started. Log my food get an honest and truthful view of what I actually eat. And I will get 10k steps a day in 2 weeks I will look at it all pick the next step. It will likely be meal prep and possibly adding more dynamic cardio but I will cross that bridge when I get there. Give yourself grace and forgive mistakes realize that 80% improvement will create a change.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,410 Member
    Options
    let me tell you how I started: I complained that I'm not eating too much, and hence there's no reason for me to be overweight. Yeah, only eating about 1300 calories per day, thus something must be wrong.

And then I really tracked, and realized I was indeed not eating too much. Apart from the bag of crisps, or the whole pack of hard candy, etc.. that I had several times per week. :D

What others have said: keep it simple. Don't deprive yourself of any food unless you really don't manage to eat less of it. Eat what you like. Make small changes. If keto or low carb makes you unhappy then don't do it. It's not for everyone. If 'diet food x' makes you unhappy then don't eat it. Look at your diary and see what makes you happy, and whether you could do with a bit less of it, or a bit more and eat less of something else. There's really no need for drastic, immediate changes as weight loss is not fast anyway. You can do this!
  • Kelly040404
    edited July 2023
    Options
    You guys are so nice to comment back! Thank you all so much!!! 🥹 I'm so emotional, like I said in my original post, that I'm sitting here all teary eyed! I love reading everyone's experience and what helped them. I love the idea of walking more to earn calories - or eating a bit less one day to save for a big dinner. That way you can enjoy a meal out with the fam and not worry so much about it, obviously still picking a healthier option, but I mean not obsessing about maybe enjoying a slice of bread or a roll with dinner. Or, having a dessert with your meal. That makes it more sustainable for me. And Diet Coke increasing appetite - I'll have to see how I feel when I try to limit it and maybe even cut it out completely. Right now, I'm a total addict! Tracking and being honest about what I'm eating is indeed a huge eye opener. This morning for instance - I had 2 poptarts and coffee with cream. Hello 505 calories. Add in my typical lunch out (maybe Jimmy Johns - 900 calories there) and then whatever we get for dinner - sometimes Chinese food - and then some ice cream before bed. YIKES! I don't even wanna think about how many calories I've been ingesting without tracking! 😂
  • mlrtri
    Options
    Just being aware of what you are consuming is a great start. The future you will be so glad you started and struggled through the frustration. Someone mentioned above to give yourself grace. Remember to do that. We all have off days. We have more going on in our life than just working on losing weight. But by tracking daily it ensures that one off day does not grow into more. And by NOT having hard core rules to follow you don’t throw in the towel when you have broken one. You are on the right track.

You said those around you aren’t working to lose weight. But maybe you will be an inspiration to someone.

I was also a hard core Diet Coke drinker. I never thought I could quit. But it wasn’t as hard as I thought it would be. And I found that by not going into the gas station and grabbing a Diet Coke I also avoided the candy or snacks that were waiting for me there. I am not saying you have to do it. But if you decide you want to I know you can. Because I did and I can almost guarantee I consumed as much and probably more than you every day.

Congrats, by the way, on taking the first step by deciding to work on your health.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    I start by pointing out that your body is doing exactly what it has evolved to do: eat more than you need and store extra energy for later use. Our ancestors survived by doing just that, so it is basic to our existence. Our ability to have high body fat is our superpower, not our downfall, generally. And, having too much food available is an unusual problem, historically speaking. Our ancestors would have been thrilled. Our genetic code compels us to over eat to one extent or another, depending on the individual.

Cut yourself some slack. You are doing what you are meant to do!

The urge to over eat can only be overridden by your rational mind. Whenever there are distractions (as with being a parent and/or professional), your rational mind is occupied, so you follow your instincts.

There are some techniques that can help:

- Calorie counting (using MFP)
    - Timed eating (so-called intermittent fasting), where you only eat in an 8 hour window of the day
    - Low-carb, paleo, or other restrictive diets
    - Planning all meals in advance, bringing your lunch to work
    - Joining a weight loss group (meeting in-person is best)
    - Joining an exercise group
    - Dietician, life coach, psychotherapy, personal training

For extreme cases:

- Drug therapies (Ozempic)
    - Bariatric reduction surgery