Needs advice on calories

Options
I have been using this application for about 8 weeks, I am consistently exercising, but am not losing much. I have questions about calories consumed and burned. If anyone can, help please do!!!!!

Replies

• shannon_stallone
    Options
    I've been using MFP on and off for six months...What questions can I maybe answer for you? :)
  • Candikickbutt
    Candikickbutt Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Well, I've been eating anywhere between 1,000-1,200 calories a day, and burning 1000-1400 a day in cardio and 30 minutes of pilates. I'm not losing anything and feel like giving up. Weight and inches have measured the same.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    Ask and I'll try to give you a legit answer.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Options
    Well, I've been eating anywhere between 1,000-1,200 calories a day, and burning 1000-1400 a day in cardio and 30 minutes of pilates. I'm not losing anything and feel like giving up. Weight and inches have measured the same.

What is your TDEE?
  • faith12207
    Options
    I been using about a month and i am in same boat seems like i am doing something wrong and i exercise for atleast 30 minutes to an hour everyday when i can.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    How much is not loosing much? like 1 pound a week?
  • KristiMW72
    KristiMW72 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Are you eating back burned cals?
  • angel79202
    angel79202 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    If you're eating only 1000-1200 and burning 1000-1400, you may be putting yourself in starvation mode..the body cannot survive on negative calories..
  • Candikickbutt
    Options
    Whats TDEE?
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options

So that means your NET calories (calories in - minus calories out) would be 0.
    This doesn't leave any energy for your body to use to support essential functions like breathing, walking, digesting, talking and everything else you usually do in a day. For most women this requires 1200 cals or more (for me, it's about 1800 if I factor regular daily activity in).
    It sounds to me as though your body is doing it's best to conserve energy to keep you going, it may have slowed down your metabolism which would mean that weight loss can stall or stop.
    My advice - exercise less and eat more! Eat at least the number of calories MPF gives you as a daily allowance, plus all or most of the calories you burn from exercise.
  • Candikickbutt
    Options
    I'm only eating the 1000-1200 calories, then exercising. I am not eating any back burned calories. I drink lots of water. I lost 8 pounds in 2 weeks, but the last 3 weeks, I have not lost a pound. I'm so upset. I am wanting to lose at least 3 lbs per week.
  • Candikickbutt
    Options
    I'm very uneducated when it comes to this, I have so many questions it's ridiculous. Aren't you supposed to burn more calories then consumed to lose weight? How will I lose if I eat the same amount that I burn while exercising? I am not second guessing any advice, just confused.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    3 pounds a week is a pretty agressive goal, unless you have a lot of weight to lose that just may not happen. I know we all want to lose weight quickly, but eating very little, burning huge amounts of calories and not giving your body enough good nutrition to live on is not going to work long term.
    You are much more likely to see good results by setting a more moderate goal (like 1 pound a week), cutting your exercise to something like 3-400 cals a day, having a rest day once a week, and eating all the calories MFP has allocated for you plus most or all of your exercise calories.
    I'm sure that sounds boring, but I bet it would work!
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Options
    I'm only eating the 1000-1200 calories, then exercising. I am not eating any back burned calories. I drink lots of water. I lost 8 pounds in 2 weeks, but the last 3 weeks, I have not lost a pound. I'm so upset. I am wanting to lose at least 3 lbs per week.

Read my post in the link below, I think you are the poster child for what I wrote.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/351569-gone-from-rapid-weight-loss-to-plateaued-weight-loss-possi
  • psmd
    psmd Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    You've lost 14 pounds so far, that's awesome for 8 weeks!
  • Candikickbutt
    Options
    So if I eat 1200 calories, then burn 1500, I need to eat another 1300??
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Options
    You've lost 14 pounds so far, that's awesome for 8 weeks!

No, she lost 8 lbs in the first 2 weeks. In the last 3 weeks, she hasn't lost anything.
  • Manlee52
    Manlee52 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I would think you are not eating enough calories with that much exercise.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Options
    So if I eat 1200 calories, then burn 1500, I need to eat another 1300??

What does your food diary set for your calorie intake goal before exercise?
  • Hirundo
    Hirundo Posts: 148 Member
    Options

Wow ...
    well you won't loose more weight like that or, if you, do it'll be to the cost of your health...

you are putting your body in starvation mode or , in other words in survival mode... your body will do everything it can to not let you loose any weight, if you do start to loose again like that it will probably burn muscles before fat...

The first 8 pounds you lost were probably only water

You are doing it wrong,
    there is some very good post about that in the forum, do a quick search and read about it....

Good luck!