Please tell me I'm not the only one!!

Options
If anyone is comfortable sharing how much weight did you have to lose before you comfortably fit into the next size down clothes? I started my weight loss journey weighing 347.5 pounds wearing a size 3x (26-28) and over the last 10 or so months have lost 45.5 pounds. I can get size 2X clothes on but they are snug but they don't fit comfortably so I still wear my 3X clothes. I have heard of people losing 20 pounds and dropping a size. Family and friends commented that I look like I have lost a lot of weight, so I get discouraged when I don't feel like my clothes fit me much differently. Maybe the bigger you are the more weight you have to lose to go down a size? I am just wondering if there are others out there like me. Thanks for letting me vent. :)

Replies

• joandumas42
    joandumas42 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on where you carry your weight. I always gain on my hips and belly, so a loss of 15 lbs puts me down one pants size.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    The difference between sizes is bigger for bigger sizes, so you'll need to lose more at the start of your journey to move down in size. Depending on how stretchy your clothes are, that can also play a role, more margin within the same size.
  • sibilantstorm
    sibilantstorm Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    It's more about how your body is built and where and what kind of clothes you prefer. I've always preferred looser styles with lots of 'flow'. I've lost about 30 lbs and dropped one pant size, but I also was VERY VERY large, so I have a lot of loose/excess skin and overhang and such, which means that even though I fit into the smaller size, all the extra flesh still has to have room to move around. I'm probably going to need to lose another 20 lbs or so before I fit comfortably in the new things I just bought, just because of having to cram the extra skin in along with the rest of my body.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,862 Member
    Options
    For sure, when I first started to lose it took quite a few pounds to lose a size, but as I got thinner, it was surprisingly fast. I admit I didn't start out at 26-28, it was more like 20 (but that's class 1 obese for me).

The first size bump downward was probably 20-25 pounds, maybe more (hard to recall). When I got down into the normal BMI range but still had a little I wanted to lose, it was smaller. In maintenance, I'm size 6 in most things, and there's about a 10-12 pound range where that sort of works, but it's getting snug at the top end, and loose at the bottom end of that range.