losing 2-3 lbs/week...is it OK?

Options
How over weight do you have to be before its "OK" to lose 2-3 lbs/wk instead of the 1-2 that is "recommended"? I've heard that when you are on the larger scale, it's not so bad to lose 2 or even 3lbs/wk.

My starting/current weight is 260. Would it be so bad if I aimed to lose 2-3lb/wk or 90-100lb by the beginning of June?

**Yes I know I'll have weeks where I won't lose anything at all. I know that any loss is a loss and I will be happy with whatever I accomplish in that time. I know that "slow and steady wins the race". And all of that.
I'm just curious, since I'm so big, if it would really be that bad to try to aim for a 3lb/wk loss at first?

Replies

• jeffkussman
    Options
    The personal trainer that my girlfriend and I work out with says we shouldn't really lose more than 2-2.5 lb on average per week. So you're pretty close to the maximum that is okay to lose. I wouldn't sweat it as long as you have a pretty healthy diet. Also, that's the average amount per week for healthy weight loss, so for some people it can be more per week, for some less. I don't have any exact figures for you, but I wouldn't worry too much if you don't start losing too much more too quickly.
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I avg 2-3 lbs a week depending on how much I work out and what I eat. I strive to eat atleast 1500 calories on my exercise days, and 1700 when I do 2-3 intense workouts a day. It's worked for me, I'm doing it 'right' with exercise, better food choices and no pills or tricks.
  • leilani♥
    Options
    I lose 2 lbs a week on average and my goals are set to lose 1 lb a week. My starting weight was 182. Last week I actually lost 3 lbs.. Is it bad to aim for 2-3 lbs a week loss nah I don't think so. But don't quote me on it -- I am still learning.

P.S. I EAT =)
  • kronos288
    Options
    Losing 2-3 pounds a week at your current weight should be okay at first, but like you said it will slow and every 3 weeks you'll probably have to change it up to keep your progress going...also don't be disappointed if you don't lose that much week to week like you also said :)
  • Gary1977
    Gary1977 Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    I think you'll be just fine. I'm a REALLY large person who is averaging about 20lbs a month over the last 4-5 months. It was even more than that before.
  • wolfcounty
    Options
    one of the main reasons it is suggested to avoid rapid weight loss is because studies show it is usually do to crash dieting and not a life style change so most people are likely to put it back on. there are other health reasons too so dont go nuts, but just keep that in mind you want every pound you lose to stay off and thats way more important than how quickly you do it. :]
  • Bankman1989
    Bankman1989 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    How over weight do you have to be before its "OK" to lose 2-3 lbs/wk instead of the 1-2 that is "recommended"? I've heard that when you are on the larger scale, it's not so bad to lose 2 or even 3lbs/wk.

My starting/current weight is 260. Would it be so bad if I aimed to lose 2-3lb/wk or 90-100lb by the beginning of June?

**Yes I know I'll have weeks where I won't lose anything at all. I know that any loss is a loss and I will be happy with whatever I accomplish in that time. I know that "slow and steady wins the race". And all of that.
    I'm just curious, since I'm so big, if it would really be that bad to try to aim for a 3lb/wk loss at first?

Depends on how you lose it. If you eat right and have a strenuous workout schedule you can. I watch the biggest loser and you see people lose 35 pounds, 25 pounds with certified trainers and doctors.

I set my goals higher this week (I burn nearly 10,000 calories a week) but the max you can goal lose on here is 2 pounds. But I cycle a lot and it says I will lose about 27 pounds in 5 weeks. I know its been about 5 weeks si I will weigh myself soon to readjust my weight. Good luck.
  • marcibar
    Options
    I agree with some other posters. It depends on how you are doing it. Make sure you are still getting your protein, iron and calcium and aren't going deficient in your other vitamins. Eating LOTS of veggies keeps your calories low and you are super full. I would just try to make sure that it is something you can stick with long term, and using a site like this can help with that. I would talk to your doctor and set your ratios for fat, protein and carbs and then set them in your customs on the site. For that third pound a week you would need at least a 1500 calorie deficit. I wear a bodymedia fit arm band and that helps me be more accurate on my activities. I thought I was a lot more active today then I really was :( And somedays I do more then I thought :). It keeps me from overeating/undereating on a regular basis.

Don't let your body get into starvation mode and drink tons of water and best of luck to you!