I have to move more

Options
My daddy said that I have to eat Healthy Food but I am also picky about my food choices about I don’t like and what I like

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,766 Member
    Options
    Healthy food is good for you, i.e., for health. If the goal is weight loss, though, what matters most is the number of calories in the food you eat. So, eat food you like, log it, and see how you come out with calories.

If you're eating too many of them to accomplish your weight loss goals, then look for the foods that are least important/desirable to you - the ones that "cost" too many calories for what you get in enjoyment, nutrition, feeling full, etc. Reduce those (portion sizes or frequency) to reduce calories, or even cut them out altogether if they seem totally not worth their calories.

When it comes to eating healthy - also a good thing - it isn't a matter of eating all and only so-called "healthy foods". It's more about your total combination of food choices on average over a day or few. It's good to get enough protein, fats, fiber, and micronutrients (like vitamins and minerals), but you can work at trying to do that while eating foods you like.

Once you get your calorie intake somewhat in line with your needs, nutrition can be a thing to work on gradually improving. I'm betting you can make major improvements in that just by choosing from foods you actually like, or at least tolerate well.

In the long run, maybe consider trying some new foods that are supposed to be nutritious, especially in areas where (by then) you recognize your total nutrition is coming up a little short. What's the worst that can happen? Maybe you try it, don't like it. So what? (It can be worth trying things prepared in different ways, to give them a fair chance. For example, a lot of people like roasted veggies better than those same veggies boiled.) On the up side, you may discover some new foods you really like, if you keep an open mind and try new things.

The same general philosophy works for moving more, too: You don't need to do some extreme unpleasant-to-you exercise. Just try to find ways of getting more movement into your days, in ways that are ideally fun, or at least tolerable. You can take walks, play active video or VR games, dance, whatever.

It doesn't even have to be official "exercise", just more movement. Many other MFP-ers have shared their own ideas for more daily life movement in this thread:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10610953/neat-improvement-strategies-to-improve-weight-loss/p1

Some of those ideas won't work for you, but I'll bet at least some could.

Best wishes for success!
  • cfisherd0406
    cfisherd0406 Posts: 8 Member
    edited July 2023
    Options
    Since i have food allergies and found out a few years ago I had to change my diet dramatically . You can actually train your tastebuds to like foods you didn't used to. I never liked things like tomatoes now I want the time !
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,082 Member
    edited July 2023
    Options
    When I was young I was very picky about my food, but I was also very thin. Not a lot of vegetables, I think maybe lettuce, potatoes, green beans, peas, and lima beans was about it for me...I did eat fruit, but mostly lived on other foods.

Moving more will help a lot with weight management if that's what you're here for.

Start walking around your neighborhood. If possible, get a bike. Just eat less of what you're already eating, and maybe try a new plant food every now and then. I did finally become a lover of vegetables, but it had to be my idea - not my parents'.