Anyone else eat out everyday?

Options
I need to make more of an effort to eat at home. I’m trying to stay within my calories/macros but know I’d be better off cooking. It’s a combination of me being lazy and living by myself so no need to cook for anyone else. I would probably also save money. Just wondering if anyone else also eats out all the time.

Replies

• sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,638 Member
    Options
    I'll refrain from giving advice/suggestions on how you can start moving towards cooking and just say that, yes, you can eat out and lose weight. Just watch your portions (which I'm sure you already do).
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,726 Member
    edited August 2023
    Options
    I rarely Ever go out to eat. In fact I avoid it as much as possible. If I do I order a garden salad or plain steamed vegetables. I do have a few vegan places I kinda like but I do not trust restaurants whatsoever. I know many chefs who do not like when customers ask for modifications. Plus they add too much oil and do whatever it takes to enhance flavor, creativity. its expensive and I want to know what I am eating. Fast food is obviously awful IMO
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    Nearly everything I eat comes out of a restaurant or my freezer and it's been that way for years--all through my weight loss and maintenance. I don't care to cook, so I don't.
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Damn, just prices now of eating out should be a deterrent
  • drv123
    drv123 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    We used to eat out a lot but have cut it way back since getting an air fryer. It's so easy to toss a chicken breast or two in there and cook up some veggies and/or potatoes on the stove. Clean up is way easier than using an oven as well.
  • COGypsy
    edited August 2023
    Options

Not really. I get at least two and often three meals out of a restaurant entree. Sunday night I got a two meat meal, a green salad, and a couple of ribs from a local BBQ place. I’m finishing it tonight. All in it was about $45. Meat, vegetables, seasoning/recipe stuff, and some kind of starch at the store always seem to come out at $80 minimum for about the same number of meals. That’s even before I figure in the time spent cooking and cleaning that could be much more productively used.
  • sollyn23l2
    Options
    COGypsy wrote: »

Not really. I get at least two and often three meals out of a restaurant entree. Sunday night I got a two meat meal and a couple of ribs from a local BBQ place. I’m finishing it tonight. All in it was about $45. Meat, vegetables, seasoning/recipe stuff, and some kind of starch at the store always seem to come out at $80 minimum for about the same number of meals. That’s even before I figure in the time spent cooking and cleaning that could be much more productively used.

I totally get eating out, and I don't think anyone shouldn't eat out if they want to. However, I spend $45 on groceries for the entire week. And yes, that includes meat. And that includes when I lived in Alaska, where groceries are crazy expensive.
  • COGypsy
    Options
    sollyn23l2 wrote: »

Not really. I get at least two and often three meals out of a restaurant entree. Sunday night I got a two meat meal and a couple of ribs from a local BBQ place. I’m finishing it tonight. All in it was about $45. Meat, vegetables, seasoning/recipe stuff, and some kind of starch at the store always seem to come out at $80 minimum for about the same number of meals. That’s even before I figure in the time spent cooking and cleaning that could be much more productively used.

I totally get eating out, and I don't think anyone shouldn't eat out if they want to. However, I spend $45 on groceries for the entire week. And yes, that includes meat. And that includes when I lived in Alaska, where groceries are crazy expensive.

It would probably be about that if I shopped every week. As it is, I grocery shop about twice a month at the very most, so when I go, it’s an expensive ordeal for sure. I swear the best part of the pandemic was curbside pickup becoming a regular option! Also, I know that it would ultimately end up cheaper if I eventually got stocked up on “recipe things”, but as it is, I buy pretty much every ingredient that isn’t salt and pepper. Or garlic powder. Because stocking a pantry is pretty useless if you don’t cook relatively often.
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options

Not really. I get at least two and often three meals out of a restaurant entree. Sunday night I got a two meat meal, a green salad, and a couple of ribs from a local BBQ place. I’m finishing it tonight. All in it was about $45. Meat, vegetables, seasoning/recipe stuff, and some kind of starch at the store always seem to come out at $80 minimum for about the same number of meals. That’s even before I figure in the time spent cooking and cleaning that could be much more productively used.
    lol

• COGypsy
    Options

lol

I will say, a lot of why I can make this work is that I’m not by any stretch a volume eater. Small portions make even calorically dense food reasonable.
  • sollyn23l2
    Options

It would probably be about that if I shopped every week. As it is, I grocery shop about twice a month at the very most, so when I go, it’s an expensive ordeal for sure. I swear the best part of the pandemic was curbside pickup becoming a regular option! Also, I know that it would ultimately end up cheaper if I eventually got stocked up on “recipe things”, but as it is, I buy pretty much every ingredient that isn’t salt and pepper. Or garlic powder. Because stocking a pantry is pretty useless if you don’t cook relatively often.

Fair enough, different things work for different people. There's really no right or wrong when it comes to what works for you.
  • COGypsy
    Options

Fair enough, different things work for different people. There's really no right or wrong when it comes to what works for you.

And different things work at different times. I quite enjoy cooking for friends. I packed lunches and cooked dinner for my family from the time I was in 5th grade, so it’s definitely not a lack of skill. But now that there isn’t anybody I HAVE to cook for most days, I’m glad I’ve found a system that works for me.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,585 Member
    Options
    I need to make more of an effort to eat at home. I’m trying to stay within my calories/macros but know I’d be better off cooking. It’s a combination of me being lazy and living by myself so no need to cook for anyone else. I would probably also save money. Just wondering if anyone else also eats out all the time.
    Might benefit you to just buy frozen dinners. Controlled calories, microwavable and it's usually WAY CHEAPER than going out to eat everyday for each meal.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 2,996 Member
    edited August 2023
    Options
    A pork chop on George Foreman grill and broccoli in the microwave takes less time than changing out of work clothes. Easy to cook for one and almost no dishes.
    A bag of salad with precooked bacon, lunchmeat ham, and/or hard cooked egg. Less than 5 minutes.
    2 meals at home. 1 easy step towards changing habits.

Years ago I ate out most of the time. Single--no desire to cook for one.
    Then I switched to most meals at home for both health and financial reasons.
    Corona came with a switch to lots of fast food.
    Now trying to eat at home more--health reasons again.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,443 Member
    Options

$45 is not expensive? My main meals usually cost about 1.60 Euro or less. But yeah, I know prices differ by country.
  • COGypsy
    Options
    yirara wrote: »

$45 is not expensive? My main meals usually cost about 1.60 Euro or less. But yeah, I know prices differ by country.

Honestly, I have no idea. It’s definitely less than I’d spend on a trip to the store, but I couldn’t tell you what specific things there cost. I made a wedge salad a couple of weeks ago and the head of lettuce alone was about
    $1.50.
  • Rockmama1111
    Rockmama1111 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I go through phases. I LOVE to cook but I also LOVE eating cheffy food. I live within walking distance of a tempting outdoor restaurant scene, so we do walk there a LOT, especially in the summer. I try to keep a balance though… if I’m going out, I eat salad or an egg scramble with lots of veggies for lunch and try to get more steps. I know that when it gets cold I’ll be back to cooking every night.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    Options

Yes, when I lived by myself in Florida I spent $50 a week for groceries, which made me breakfast, lunch, snacks, and dinner. The dairy was organic and the meat more humanely raised. I spent a few hours on Sunday making snacks, lunches and dinners for most of the week. I'd also spend $10 on take out on Friday and get lunch and dinner out of it.
  • COGypsy
    Options
    Corina1143 wrote: »
    A pork chop on George Foreman grill and broccoli in the microwave takes less time than changing out of work clothes. Easy to cook for one and almost no dishes.
    A bag of salad with precooked bacon, lunchmeat ham, and/or hard cooked egg. Less than 5 minutes.
    2 meals at home. 1 easy step towards changing habits.

Years ago I ate out most of the time. Single--no desire to cook for one.
    Then I switched to most meals at home for both health and financial reasons.
    Corona came with a switch to lots of fast food.
    Now trying to eat at home more--health reasons again.

I don't even do that much work when I "cook". I buy meat already cooked. Grilled chicken already diced and a bag of vegetables from the freezer. Throw it all in a bowl and zap for 3 minutes. Or frozen chicken or pre-cooked shrimp on top of a bag of salad. I honestly think cooking for one isn't worth any more time or effort than that the vast majority of the time. Especially since I usually have about an hour and a half between getting home and needing to be in bed. Two hours if the stars align. By the time I walk the dog and make his dinner, make breakfast and snacks for the next day, take care of a chore or two, and take a shower--food is the lowest priority.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    edited August 2023
    Options

I have a friend who gets takeout all the time because she fails to plan. I do plan, and so when we eat out/get takeout, it is planned, not because it is dinner time and there is "nothing to eat." (In my house, there are always eggs, cheese, and bread, so there would always be an egg meal available. After watching "The Bear" season finale, I've been making omelets. I had to shop for that omelet, but not regular ones.)

My boyfriend prefers to eat breakfast and lunch out, so he does. But if he wanted to save money or drop a few pounds, he'd start making these meals.

The meals I make for myself are more filling for less calories than what I'd get out.

Like developing any habit, it takes practice and time, and if you want to start eating at home more, you can master it :smiley: