Breastfeeding Considerations

Options
Does anyone know what percentage of macros to consider while breastfeeding as well as the amount of calories additionally required? Thanks

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,028 Member
    edited July 2023
    Options
    I don't know, but I can see any reason why the default macros on MFP wouldn't work. Probably more important to ensure you're getting extra water/liquid, rather than some specific macro balance.

ETA: seems like a good question for your pediatrician or OB/GYN, or something they could refer you to a dietician for information about?
  • pony4us
    pony4us Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    https://www.cdc.gov/breastfeeding/breastfeeding-special-circumstances/diet-and-micronutrients/maternal-diet.html

A quick google came up with this. Ask your doctor would be the best bet.
  • AmyLizLu
    AmyLizLu Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am 8 weeks postpartum (exclusively breastfeeding) and starting my weight loss journey. I've been eating around 1300 calories per day for 2 weeks which has diminished my milk supply substantially. Since then I've added an additional 350 calories per day for last 2 weeks and have lost no weight at all if not gained a lb here or there. Any advice for me would be greatly appreciated. I cant seem to find anything on MFP to support my goal. Many Thanks, Amy
  • ddsb1111
    ddsb1111 Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Amy, did you receive clearance from your healthcare provider to start losing weight? Also, breastfeeding uses at least 500 additional calories a day so you are under fueling you and your baby. Please please please talk to your doctor.