Are Rowing Machines Good does anyone use one

Options
Thought about getting a rowing machine to help burn the calories as they are low impact and because i have weak knees and neck from a car accident years ago. Are they good how do you find them and what sort should i go for please :-)

Replies

• smashleymcgee
    smashleymcgee Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I use the one at my gym and it works wonders. It is a great cardio workout and really tones your arms and back. I am typically exhausted after using one. Not sure what type they have though :(
  • StephW1990
    Options
    I used to row and used to use a rowing machine to train. They really work your arms, legs and stomach and help to tone as well as burn. The type of machine I would go for if buying one would be one with the sliding seat (you can get a variety of fixed seat ones) and I've always used the make 'concept' :bigsmile:
  • Debinapril
    Debinapril Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Concept 2 are the best make - http://concept2.co.uk/rower/
  • emilyajones
    Options
    Yes :). As previous posters have said theyre great for arms and legs toning and helping you burn calories of course :).
    What Id like to add is make sure you use the correct position when going forward and back because thats the only way its going to be effective- I was shocked at the gym when I saw personal trainers allowing clients to be slack with their position. By that I mean they were going very fast but sort of bent over and apparently thats not effective as doing it as your own pace and sitting up right.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    cut & paste from the other rowing thread:

Awesome workout but you need proper technique. Most people at the gym just sit down and wail on thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhGfdYlXqBI
  • cdpm
    cdpm Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I love the rowing machine. I defiantly agree that Concept 2 are the best. Just keep note of your technique so that you get the full benefit of it!
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    I don't have a rowing machine, but I do have a row boat. Amazing work out.
  • Adrenaline_Queen
    Adrenaline_Queen Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Love love love rowing machines xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx If you get the chance to get one, go for it xxx
  • mpaoce
    mpaoce Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I started using one about 6 months ago and it didn't take long for someone to notice that I looked thinner in the hips/waist area. It is a hard workout, there isn't any rest period ( like going downhill while biking). My husband finds that he works out hard because you stats are right in your face and you know if you are dogging it. I couldn't do it if the rower weren't in front of a tv. As others have already said...Good technique is key.
  • EthanJeremiahsMama
    Options
    bump
  • Giantess
    Giantess Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    My 68 year old father used one every day, and has since he was a "crewtard" in college. My god, the man wears the same clothes he did in high school. He's in better shape than I am, and always has been. He probably will be till the day he dies.

Eventually, the arthritis in his hands made it impossible for him to row, and he often laments that nothing else is quite as good.

Damn guy still can run farther and longer than I can. "What's the matter?!" He will holler over his shoulder as he charges uphill. "I'm twice your age, you should be able to keep up with your old man! And I mean OLD!"

Hrumph!

:drinker:
  • deathstarclock
    deathstarclock Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Yeah I was rowing varsity for my university and basically it rips you up. But if any part of your body other than your legs is burning then you're form is not correct and you're not getting the best benefit from the machine! It's all in the legs.

Of course, if you're unconditioned, then ALL of your stabilizers will burn in the beginning...
  • Debinapril
    Debinapril Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    cut & paste from the other rowing thread:

Awesome workout but you need proper technique. Most people at the gym just sit down and wail on thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhGfdYlXqBI

This is a good technique video - not seen this one before. Most people do not put enough power into the drive and rush the recovery. The most common mistakes - thinking you need max resistance - No (it's a big subject but most rowers use a drag factor of 120 - 140 - lever 4/5 on a clean machine) and using a high stroke rate (30+) - whizzing up and down the rail but not using any power - a stroke rate of 20 - 24 is about right for a steady row.
  • sejx
    sejx Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all of you for your replies it has been a great help x