Iron deficient - and I'm TIRED of supplements!

Options
2»

Replies

• skinnnyxoxo
    skinnnyxoxo Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    What about cereal - it's fortified with iron quite frequently - the only time I am near my iron requirement is when I eat cereal.

I agree. One serving of multigrain cheerios provides 100% iron for only 110 calories.
    Can't beat that.
  • grimm1974
    grimm1974 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    My wife is also iron deficient, which is common in redheads. I cook worth cast iron cookware to add iron to the foods we cook.
  • MissMaggie3
    MissMaggie3 Posts: 2,464 Member
    Options
    A nutritionist told me beetroot is good.
  • karmajules
    karmajules Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Two of my friends are nutritionists and they both swear by Spatone. One takes if herself as she is pregnant and iron deficient, so it is very very safe.

Good Luck
  • BeverageTreats
    BeverageTreats Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    If you are finished having children or decided you won't be having any... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endometrial_ablation

I had iron deficiency anemia for 20 years and now my iron is high.
  • Jill_newimprovedversion
    Options
    I use blackstrap molasses as a sweetener in many recipes- that contains a GREAT source of iron
  • Troll
    Troll Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    turnip and mustard greens. Buy greens, remove leaves from stems. Wash. wash again. and one more time for good luck!

put leaves in a large pot (cram them in there, it cooks to almost nothing) put water to almost cover. put on a lid, cook until greens are tender and really wilted.

serve next to baked chicken and brown rice. (or dumplins and cornbread, if you want to do it right-but that's a cheat day here these days).