how long after a workout do you have your protein shake?

Options
i was drinking mine right away because i thought that it was supposed to be had within 30-45mins. my trainer last week told me that i am still burning cals up to 45mins after my workout so i should be waiting 45mins and then drinking it. huh?? what?? is that true?? not that i am doubting her, but what do you all think and do?

Replies

• JustQue
    JustQue Posts: 157
    Options
    I wait 30 minutes after. Q
  • gailygail99
    gailygail99 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I wait 30 minutes after. Q

thx!!
  • puggleperson
    puggleperson Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    bump! ;)
  • papastu
    papastu Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    i drink water :happy:
  • srvivr_2001
    Options
    No clue what's "right" but I usually drink my protien shake as soon as I get home, which is 15-30 minutes depending on traffic
  • gailygail99
    Options
    No clue what's "right" but I usually drink my protien shake as soon as I get home, which is 15-30 minutes depending on traffic

i am about 30mins from the gym so i guess i will prob do the same..just wait till i get home. thanks
  • gailygail99
    Options

haha..well i mix mine with water :laugh:
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I usually drink mine when I get home from the gym - usually takes 10-15 mins to get back home (depending on how I hit the lights). Since I prefer to drink mine with milk - I have to wait til I get home since I don't have anyway to keep the milk cold during the time I'm working out.
  • pander101
    pander101 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I drink mine right after to start the recover process sooner.
  • RoanneRed
    RoanneRed Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I haven't researched this previously but my understanding is that you are taking the protein shake (presumably low carbohydrate) to help your body make the adaptations that you've asked of it through resistance training so should perhaps be consuming it within 30-60 minutes of finishing your workout. Protein will take time to be broken down and is unlikely to be converted to energy stores so your body would still continue burning fat stores (assuming a deficit).

Also remember that your body needs amino acids broken down from protein to build muscle (as asked of it through resistance training) so, if it doesn't see any sign of protein intake, it may start breaking down other muscles not used in that workout to get what it needs.
  • Adrenaline_Queen
    Adrenaline_Queen Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I have been old by several friends who are personal trainers to drink one within an hour (45 mins) or even to eat a meal.

Just what I have been told xx

When you train and if you train "Hard" then your body is depleted of glycogen and such, you need to get those back!!

I would personally say good old Coconut Water!! Low in fat and fantastic for getting those nutrients back to where we need them !!! xx
  • Adrenaline_Queen
    Adrenaline_Queen Posts: 626 Member
    Options

Whilst training, but your body needs so much after a good work out!

Try coconut water .... NOT milk, but water xxx
  • gailygail99
    Options
    thx for all the suggestions..i do use a whey isolate and it is low carb...so it is absorbed fast into the body...i guess i will stick with waiting around 30mins, no longer, to drink that bad boy! thanks again!
  • corieueber
    corieueber Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    i eat an apple on the drive home and finish my water bottle - all gone within 20 min of finishing my workout!

Once l get home it's back into mum mode and l wouldn't get around to having anything if l waited?
  • jazzybean1
    Options
    most professionals will say within 2hrs but within the first 15 min is optimal for replacing your glycogen stores...that's key to giving you energy for your workouts the next day:) You'll still be burning calories whether you're drinking your protein shake or not...hope that helps!
  • jazzybean1
    Options
    mmm coconut water:) So good for you!
  • persistenttiger
    persistenttiger Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    A low carb protein shake will not replace glyocogen stores - you need carbs for that! Simple carbs are the best for quickly replacing glycogen stores. Protein is for the muscle rebuilding. If you get a shaky/wiped out feeling after working out, it's carbs you need. Your body uses them the best after a work out, so it's the best time to eat carbs.
  • sugarbone
    sugarbone Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Your body can keep burning calories for hours after your workout, depending on how much strength training you did. Really any time 2-3 hours after is fine; consider that your body takes a LONG time to rebuild muscle, and your body takes a LONG time to digest & distribute protein. It's not as exact as some people say it is.

edit, I mean to say, anytime *before* 2-3 hours. But don't stress it.
  • kitinboots
    kitinboots Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I workout by running, so after my cool down walk of 5 min I stretch and turn on the shower. Then I drink my shake/eat a can of tuna while I wait for the water to warm up.
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    A low carb protein shake will not replace glyocogen stores - you need carbs for that! Simple carbs are the best for quickly replacing glycogen stores. Protein is for the muscle rebuilding. If you get a shaky/wiped out feeling after working out, it's carbs you need. Your body uses them the best after a work out, so it's the best time to eat carbs.
    This! If you are depleting your glycogen stores by exercising intensely for an extended period of time you need to a) eat something substantial to feed your muscles and promote recovery and b) eat something with carbohydrates in it!

Spiking your insulin after a hard workout allows your body to absorb any protein you are consuming. Having fruit + protein is your best bet, but if you are exercising for over an hour you need more carbohydrates to restore your glycogen levels :smile: