Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Am I where I need to be?

Hi, all.

Eight months ago, I embarked on a very intense (and medically monitored) weight-loss and reconditioning program. Here's where I'm currently at:

* 183 lbs (down 110 lbs)
* BMI: 26.7
* Body fat: 24%
* Skeletal muscle: 36%
* Resting heart rate: 61 bpm
* BP: I forget the exact numbers, but the low end of the normal range
* Activity: Cycling six days/week, max 50 miles a day; avg 130 miles/week

So, on the one hand, I'm pretty happy where I am now. Clothes fit me, airplane seats are comfortable, and I'm feeling very strong and endurant.

On the other hand, my BMI and body fat are definitely high. Though I'm not sure how meaningful BMI truly is. The BMI chart says that I could weigh 130 lbs and still be "normal." I'm a 5'10 male; I'd be a very svelte corpse at 130 lbs.

So the question is, Do I need to keep working hard to continue to lose weight and boost conditioning? Or do my fitness numbers trump the BMI and body fat %?

Thanks for any thoughts!
b

Replies

• broken_star1134
    broken_star1134 Posts: 65 Member
    I am right there with you. I think those are crazy. They want me to weigh something I weighted back in middle school? Are you crazy? I have had 2 kids and my body is not made that way anymore! I say to make it to where you feel is a great place for yourself. Not where things like that tell you to be.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Only you will know when you are satisfied. I'm after constant improvement so I'll probably never be satisfied :tongue:

Good work on not worry about BMI. Found out today that by BMI I am overweight. Hmm...

I would personally be trying to do more body recomposition than weight loss. Adding some muscle and losing some fat basically. But that's just me.
  • i think your stats are great and you're obviously in pretty insane shape if you can pull 50 miles a day for multiple days a week. i'd suggest working on some heavy lifting and adjusting your body composition. you can drop body fat and gain muscle and end up in the same general weight range with a very different looking/feeling body. check out something like Starting Strength or Strong Lifts 5x5, both are beginner weight lifting programs designed for guys (and girls!) who want to recompose their body without necessarily losing insane amounts of weight.

congratulations and good luck!
  • 10fairywings
    10fairywings Posts: 136 Member
    Just to explain BMI; years a go you would look up the weight you should be on a chart and you would choose whether you are small, medium or large framed and this would give you your ideal weight for height ratio. With BMI it is exactly the same, BMI gives you a range which is around over 2 stone difference. This takes into consideration your frame size. Those on the lower end would be small framed and those on the higher end large framed. You can tell your frame size by your wrist measurement, a quick easy way to get an idea is to wrap your fingers around your wrist, if your fingers over-lap you are small framed, if they almost touch medium and if there is a gap, large. For example my BMI is 22.6 which falls in the middle of my BMI, but I am small framed so I need to drop a little more weight. Frame size has nothing to do with height, I am quite tall at 5' 8" but my hands and feet are little, I take a 4 shoe.

Congratualtions on your success, I think you really need to be where YOU are happy and if you are completely happy then you're done! :)

11064913.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • 10fairywings
    i think your stats are great and you're obviously in pretty insane shape if you can pull 50 miles a day for multiple days a week. i'd suggest working on some heavy lifting and adjusting your body composition. you can drop body fat and gain muscle and end up in the same general weight range with a very different looking/feeling body. check out something like Starting Strength or Strong Lifts 5x5, both are beginner weight lifting programs designed for guys (and girls!) who want to recompose their body without necessarily losing insane amounts of weight.

congratulations and good luck!

Totally agree with this!!!!
  • Thanks, everybody--I appreciate your thoughts (as well as your very kind words :-) )!

@stronglikebull:

> Starting Strength or Strong Lifts 5x5

I absolutely abhor weight training, but I'll check these out. Never say "never"... :-)
  • 10fairywings
    Thanks, everybody--I appreciate your thoughts (as well as your very kind words :-) )!

@stronglikebull:

> Starting Strength or Strong Lifts 5x5

I absolutely abhor weight training, but I'll check these out. Never say "never"... :-)

Oh no lol! Maybe you will learn to love it! Lol! When I started bodybuilding I thought cor this is hard work, and had to force myself to do it, but my Lord the results were so FAST and wonderful that began to truly love it!!! I find it much less stressful than hours of CV that got me nowhere. Good Luck with it! :)

11064913.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • Thank you--I'll keep your sage words in mind as I get started. :-)
  • Jesung
    Jesung Posts: 236 Member
    You can try losing another 15-20lbs or so and re-evaluate from there.