How to track homemade meals

jodimgoodman
jodimgoodman Posts: 1 Member
Most of the dinners I make for my family are made from scratch recipes. Do I add all of the ingredients? How do I track the portion size if its an ingredient for an entire dish? Im trying to figure out how to enter home cooked meals in a way that is sustainable and not too overwhelming/time consuming

Replies

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,842 Member
    That's so much easier than restaurant meals because you know what's inside. Do you prefer one-pot meals or many different pots?

For one-pot with a bit of guesswork: just weigh all ingredients in grams, put pot on table, use a serving spoon and serve everyone: Dad three spoons, mom two spoons, kids1 and 2 get 1.5 spoons each, makes 8 spoons. Dad has 3/8 of the total calories of the pot.

You could also weigh the empty pot, make a note, weight the pot with ready dish. Put plate on scale and set to zero. Put food on plate and log the weight.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,703 Member
    I use the Meals functionality:
    - I weigh and add all my raw ingredients to a meal, to know the total number of calories
    - I weigh the cooked meal (subtract the weight of the pot/pan) which I enter in the Meal name (so for example "spaghetti sauce 2350")
    - I weigh my own portion
    - I log the appropriate portion of the total meal: for example, 250gr of spaghetti sauce is 250/2350 = 0.106 of the meal should be logged in my diary.
  • PeachHibiscus
    PeachHibiscus Posts: 163 Member
    I've added several of mine to the recipes section. You add each ingredient and at the end you would add how many portions the recipe would serve. The recipe will break down the calories and nutritional content per serving.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,703 Member
    Be sure to try both the Recipe and Meal functionalities to see what you prefer. I loathe the Recipe part of the app, Meals for me 🙂
  • alevyslp4428
    alevyslp4428 Posts: 2 Member
    I’ve been scanning and measuring all the ingredients I use when creating a new recipe. Then put in how many portions (I think) it’ll make… you can always go back in and edit if needed. So for example, 2 lbs of boneless chicken breast, 1 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp pepper, etc etc … 4 servings. And it calculates the calories, protein, etc for you.