please read me in need of major help!!!

Options
I recently made a post about being scared to even come close to my MFP suggested calorie intake, its set to 1410 and i generally only eat about 900-1200.

The reason I'm mentioning this is because I've been stuck at a plateau for about three weeks now, and I'm wondering if its because I'm eating less. I figure less food = more weight loss, but I have been reading alot of material suggesting other wise and I'm very confused about it.

Basically I'm asking is this normal and will i eventually start loosing weight again or am I eating too little

Btw I'm 229-230
Walk alot and on feet for up to six hours, torso and arms are in constant motion (cashier)

Replies

• shollet
    Options
    I'm no doctor but I would imagine its been set by MFP for a reason.

I often undereat from the calories set and it explains that eating too few cals puts you into starvation mode so you retain your weight/metabolism slows down.

If it were me, I'd stick nearer the limit they've set - you're not just a little under, you're way, way under - so in effect, you're in starvation mode. Your body needs the cals set by MFP to make you function - if you're not giving it what it wants, its going to retain what it can get.

Good luck
  • Lotte34
    Lotte34 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    My other half is 20 stone (put weight on due to injury a few years ago) and he eats next to nothing. He will have a slice of toast for breakfast a coffee for lunch and a meal in the evening. And he doesn't loose weight.

If you are worried about going as high as 1410 then maybe settle for a compromise 1200 maybe. But yes if you take too little in your body will try and hold onto everything it can and so you will stop loosing weight.

Feel free to add me, always here to help
    lotte
  • siobhan03
    Options
    eat a bit more, at least 1100cal and do some exercise
  • 10fairywings
    10fairywings Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I recently made a post about being scared to even come close to my MFP suggested calorie intake, its set to 1410 and i generally only eat about 900-1200.

The reason I'm mentioning this is because I've been stuck at a plateau for about three weeks now, and I'm wondering if its because I'm eating less. I figure less food = more weight loss, but I have been reading alot of material suggesting other wise and I'm very confused about it.

Basically I'm asking is this normal and will i eventually start loosing weight again or am I eating too little

Btw I'm 229-230
    Walk alot and on feet for up to six hours, torso and arms are in constant motion (cashier)

Hello bless you I would say you're definitley not eating enough on the days you go under 1200. You're body needs fuel to burn, if you are active (as you say) then if you don't eat enough your body will hold onto it because it thinks it has to (check out aabout starvation mode). My guess is if you eat more you will lose weight again. Good Luck! :)

11064913.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • TheGoalDigger
    TheGoalDigger Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I was also confused too but if you calorie intake is around 1410 then you should consume 1410 calories per day, dont worry if you have maybe 60 calories or less remaining. The reason why I'm saying this its cause 1410 is your required intake whether you exercise or not you should still lose weight by consuming 1410 calories.
    If you work out and burn around 300 calories then you should try to gain back at least 80% of the calories lost. When you're eating under your required calorie intake then it's forcing your body to go into starvation mode.

Yes losing the pounds are so nice but it will catch up to your body. I used to do the same thing but it caught on to me and i eventually passed out one day so please dont make it a habit. Now for the plateau, you should try doing different exercises rather than your usual ones to trick your body. Let's say today you run and next time you get on the elliptical , so on & so forth.

Hope i helped
  • edonald774
    edonald774 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    heya,
    I'm not an expert, but I too have worries about eating the MFP recommendation, but I have to say - my fears are the other way.
    I'm recommended 1250 calories but I eat 1400 as I worry 1250 is too little to get all the nutrients I need.

I weight 167lbs and I'm only 5ft tall and I have a sedentary lifestyle - I sit at a desk all day.

I'm losing a steady 1 - 2 lbs a week eating 1400 cals.

Hope this helps.
  • Shastabugg1
    Options
    Thanks a bunch guys clearly I have been mistaken by eating less then required. I thought I would be cutting corners by eating less but I have been doing the exact opposite I'm gonna aim for exactly what MFP suggests for two weeks (no scale = hopefully) and see where it lands me.
    Wish me luck and again thanks a ton! :)
  • sugarbone
    sugarbone Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    "Starvation mode" Is when you are eating 50% of your BMR. It will not stop weight loss in the long run, but it can dramatically reduce your metabolism.
  • gailygail99
    gailygail99 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    i was scared too at one point...EAT MORE!! YOU MUST!
  • sgha
    sgha Posts: 225
    Options
    heya,
    I'm not an expert, but I too have worries about eating the MFP recommendation, but I have to say - my fears are the other way.
    I'm recommended 1250 calories but I eat 1400 as I worry 1250 is too little to get all the nutrients I need.

I weight 167lbs and I'm only 5ft tall and I have a sedentary lifestyle - I sit at a desk all day.

I'm losing a steady 1 - 2 lbs a week eating 1400 cals.

Hope this helps.
  • melcowenfitness
    melcowenfitness Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem a year ago and cut my calorie intake to 1300/day. My weight loss and energy levels suffered because of it. I slowly increased up to 1900 calories/day and voila - I'm now 30 pounds lighter!

Sometimes you have to eat more to lose more.... it's all in the quality of the foods you eat. This article really helped put it into perspective for me: http://www.melcowenfitness.com/eat-more-to-lose-more-really

Hope that helps!

Mel