Exercising without kneeling

Options
Hi
Does anyone have any low impact exercise routines that don’t require kneeling down? I have bursa issues and mild cerebral palsy

Replies

• spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,692 Member
    Options
    Are you looking for calisthenics or aerobic exercise? A low impact cardio routine might work for you. Check out Leslie Sansome. With light hand weights, her walking workouts can help overall fitness.
  • Mercenna42
    Mercenna42 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi there, if your looking for gentle low impact cardio I strongly recommend looking up “The Body Project” on YouTube. They have lots of free beginner workouts that are all standing. I will say that I enjoy the workouts led by “Daniel” the male instructor more! Hope that’s helpful 💜
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,843 Member
    Options
    There are lots of video options for low-impact standing or even seated exercise on YouTube. I'm not the best person to advise you on specifics, because those aren't my jam, personally. If you were to post in the "Fitness and Exercise" part of the Community asking for video recommendations (with a clear title on the post), I'd bet you'd get some recommendations.

I have pretty trashed knees (osteoarthritis, at least one torn meniscus (diagnosed via imaging) but I suspect both). It took a little experimenting, but for me rowing and cycling are things I can do that can be anything from easy to very intense as needed, but that my own individual knees tolerate very well. (I prefer boats on the river and bikes on the paved trails, but do rowing machine and stationary bike in Winter.)

Swimming is an excellent exercise that is body-friendly. I had an acquaintance with quite severe CP who was very devoted about pool exercise/swimming. If you have access to a pool, that might be an option.

I don't know what challenges your CP may present, but another thing many people like is Tai Chi (or Chi Gung). I practiced Tai Chi for a few years, and my late husband was a teacher. Is eslower movement, and it's a standing thing. It can help develop balance and functional leg strength.

Another thing you could consider, since you have relevant health conditions, would be seeking a referral to physical therapy to have your physical capabilities assessed, and get advice about good exercise modalities going forward. Physical therapists don't usually create workout routines, but they can provide exercises to remedy certain imbalances or limitations, and IME are willing to talk about what kinds of workout activities might be suitable for a person at their current stage.

Just a few thoughts. Best wishes for finding something that works for you!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    All seated machines. And there are several levels and resistance for all of them. But first consult a PT to see what exercises may be best for your to do.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    Pahla B videos on YouTube don’t have any floor work and I have several friends that love them.