good running dog?

Options

Replies

• catwrangler
    catwrangler Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    Unless you bought your puppy from a reputable breeder it isn't worth breeding. A reputable breeder would not sell a pup without a spay/neuter contract. So, yeah.....don't breed.

If you have money, buy your friends a good pup from a reputable breeder.
  • big_daddy_d
    Options
    @ jessamin

yes he is pure ... I got him for a lot but he is worth it
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I don't run outside, so I can't help with that.

But, the OP's puppy is ADORABLE!

We have a lab/beagle mix who has limitless energy. We got a boxer/american bulldog puppy last night and the lab/beagle wears the puppy out! LOL
  • big_daddy_d
    Options
    @catwrangler

you are right ...

the breeder gave me a choice of getting him for 900 with being fixed or 2500$ without !!!

I choose the the 2500$ because I don't anyone to fix me why he should be fixed ???
  • Jessamin
    Jessamin Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    @ jessamin

yes he is pure ... I got him for a lot but he is worth it

That's not what I meant. I mean if he is genetically tested for congenital and hereditary disorders that bulldogs are FAMOUS for, to check if he is suitable for breeding.
  • catwrangler
    Options
    @catwrangler

you are right ...

the breeder gave me a choice of getting him for 900 with being fixed or 2500$ without !!!

I choose the the 2500$ because I don't anyone to fix me why he should be fixed ???

oh good lord, the poor dog......
  • catwrangler
    Options
    Lost cause, Jess.
  • AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    What was the topic again? Oh yah, suggestions for good running dogs. :ohwell:
  • keiraev
    keiraev Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    A greyhound ? lol
  • Izzy62
    Izzy62 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    How about a dalmation - they were bred for running alongside horse and carriage in what my kids would call "the olden days", husky would be great also. Depends how far you want to run, greyhounds are short distance sprinters but get quite lazy over longer distances.
  • big_daddy_d
    Options
    @ Jessamin

and to answer your question yes :)
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    @ Sunshine_88

thanks, and no I can't give you my puppy ( My girlfriend will kill me ) ... but when I breed it, I will give you one of his puppies for free :)

I have wanted a bulldog forever!! They are one of my favorite dogs:D

I still want him ^-^ hehe
  • big_daddy_d
    Options
    @ catwrangler

I really understand what u are saying ... one of my majors is a veterinarian so I donate my time and money to animal shelters all the time again thanks
  • cownancy
    Options
    If you get a Rottie, make sure it doesn't have a heart murmur or other heart problem. With so much poor breeding going on with this breed, I've seen lots of puppies with congenital heart problems. I am a huge fan of English Bulldogs! But, they are really expensive to breed because they often have to be artificially inseminated and delivered by C-section and they only have small litters!

You also want to be sure the dog has good hips and knees if you want to do running. I would think that you'd be better off with a Doberman for that purpose because of the lighter frame. Huskies, Border Collies, Australian Sheepdogs are all great for running, but they are smaller breeds. Labs really are great dogs, as are Golden Retrievers. Personally, I am a Saint Bernard person.....just like me, we like to hang out and be couch potatoes. LOL.

Good luck!!
  • margo36
    margo36 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I have two Dalmations and a Belguim Shepherd. All three of them can run for miles especially the Dalmations.
  • welshgirl53
    welshgirl53 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Don't forget that if you get a larger breed dog as a pup, it has a lot of growing to do, and it is recommended that you don't give them hard exercise until their growth plates are closed, which can be as much as 18 months to 2 years in the bigger dogs. So you may have some waiting to do. Just because the dog CAN run, doesn't mean it should do it for long distances.
  • debs6
    debs6 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    What ever you get - please please don't run it as a puppy - you can do it great damage to overwork it before being mature. Puppies should be able to stop and start as they want and not be overworked - making a puppy run before it is fully mature is not good at all
  • debs6
    debs6 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    oops - sorry to repeat what welshgirl was saying we must have typed them and only posted seconds apart. Perhaps it accentuates the message as you won't have a running buddy for maybe 18 months or more. Have you considered a mature dog from a shelter?
  • margo36
    margo36 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I have three and I take mine out altogether as a pack and don't have any problems. I've only got to one of their names and all three come back :happy: My eldest Dalmation is 13 yrs old and still up for a run
  • melholden10
    Options
    get a cross breed for a running dog. pure breed large breeds such as lab shepards roottys doberman all have joint issues such as elbow dysplasia hip dysplasia growth problems more likely to have cruciate injuries the list goes on and on its like if you own a purebred boxer it'll get cancer same for retrievers really. If your putting the miles in you don't want to heavier breed the more heavy you are the more stress you put on bomes and joint structures i personally have a collie cross german shepard hes been fantastic to run with I think dog breeds though are a very personal thing but just go to a local rescue centre pick something out there