Yoga

Options
JNettie73
JNettie73 Posts: 1,208 Member
I prefer home workouts. I would like to start including yoga into my workout routine. It's been several years since I have taken yoga classes. I am sure it will start coming back to me once I start. Right now I am looking for a beginner class. Can anyone recommend a beginner class that can be streamed? Or can anyone recommend a DVD they really enjoy?
Thanks so much!

Replies

• TwistedSassette
    TwistedSassette Posts: 8,631 Member
    Options
    Have a look on YouTube, there are loads of free videos! I love Yoga with Adriene the most, she has a huge variety of videos on her channel and also does a calendar each month with recommended videos. I know others also recommend Yoga with Kassandra.
  • JNettie73
    Options
    @TwistedSassette Thank you very much. I will check out both of them. :)
  • laurachambers86
    laurachambers86 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Yoga with Adrienne is great, I also have the Down Dog app, you do have to pay but it's cheaper than classes :D I like it as you can customise your practice both in terms of what type of yoga, length of session, areas of the body to focus on, difficulty etc.
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    I have the Down Dog yoga app as well and love it! I love that you can customize your practice based on whatever you need for that day!
  • JNettie73
    Options
    Thank you!
  • Sumandigital23
    Sumandigital23 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Yoga is a holistic practice that unites the mind, body, and spirit. Through a blend of physical postures, breathing techniques, and meditation, yoga promotes physical flexibility, mental clarity, and emotional well-being. It encourages self-awareness, stress reduction, and inner balance, making it a powerful tool for modern life. Whether practiced for relaxation or fitness, yoga offers a path to cultivating mindfulness and inner harmony. Its timeless wisdom and adaptable nature have made it a global phenomenon, benefiting individuals of all ages and backgrounds in their journey toward improved health and a more serene mind.

• chris_in_cal
    chris_in_cal Posts: 2,184 Member
    Options
    JNettie73 wrote: »
    Right now I am looking for a beginner class. Can anyone recommend a beginner class that can be streamed?

I think yoga works best when there is a student and teacher working together. Like at a yoga studio.
    Since covid nearly all teachers have figured out how to schedule online classes. Google your town, county, or state for yoga. Find a local teacher that's teaching online and join a class. The peer support and momentum is good. But the teacher/student interaction is the best.

Good luck.
  • mkcmurphy
    mkcmurphy Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Love Cole Chance; she has a large selection of videos and beginners like me can find what they need. Good luck!
  • JNettie73
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I appreciate it.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    JNettie73 wrote: »
    Right now I am looking for a beginner class. Can anyone recommend a beginner class that can be streamed?

I think yoga works best when there is a student and teacher working together. Like at a yoga studio.
    Since covid nearly all teachers have figured out how to schedule online classes. Google your town, county, or state for yoga. Find a local teacher that's teaching online and join a class. The peer support and momentum is good. But the teacher/student interaction is the best.

Good luck.

I agree with the benefits of a live teacher, which can be online. I've seen library classes at libraries and senior centers, which are cheaper than at yoga studios.

For people who are veterans or employees of certain VA centers, yoga may be free with OmPractice. I've been doing it for about a year and a half now and I love it! In addition to yoga, there is Tai Chi, which I think is quite accessible for beginners. I picked it up when I hurt my wrist and could no longer do Down Dog. There is also meditation, breathwork, and more. There are both live classes and a video library.

https://app.ompractice.com/veteransaffairs

Also suggest it to your employer: https://www.ompractice.com/corporate-health/

u08i6bw9v6lw.png