High sodium foods?

Options
Ok well I never thought I would see the day I asked this question. I have a heart issue and it comes with dangerously low blood pressure and I need to eat more salt :O

After a couple of years of avoiding sodium like the plague I am at a loss as to how to go about this. It slightly freaks me out in fact. Anyone have any ideas for higher sodium, healthy food. Or do they just not exist?

Replies

• soifua
    Options
    cheese :smile:

I can't think of anything else except lunch meats from the deli counter.
  • smashleymcgee
    smashleymcgee Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Nuts, soups, pretzels, some salad dressings or sauces (think soy sauce) and some cheeses.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    Lunch meat always kills me... and pickles!! yumm :D haha
  • audigal2008
    audigal2008 Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    yep pickles! And I JUST made 16 jars of homemade Dills YUMMMM
  • mongoosette
    Options
    soy sauce - it's made from fermented soy beans and is high in antioxidants - its downfall is its sodium content, which sounds like is good for you.

Nutrition
    A study by the National University of Singapore showed that Chinese dark soy sauce contains 10 times the antioxidants of red wine, and can help prevent cardiovascular diseases.[25] (However, it is unlikely to be used in nearly as great a quantity as wine.) Soy sauce is rich in lactic acid bacteria and of excellent anti-allergic potential.[26][27]
    Soy sauce contains ethyl carbamate.
    Soy sauce does not contain a level of the beneficial isoflavones associated with other soy products such as tofu or edamame.[28]
  • StevLL
    StevLL Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Deli meats, pickled foods, pickled fish, smoked meats, sausage, cheeses. Hope that helps. What about a salt tablet? Good luck!
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    Low cal sauces like soy sauce, hot sauce, and mustard are all good ways to up sodium. Plus, make any food extra tasty!
  • Artemis_Acorn
    Artemis_Acorn Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Check out the RealSalt sea salt brand. It is about as healthy as sodium can get, then you can add it as you choose. There are no contaminants in this salt, it is balanced with other trace minerals and it is delicious. It's far better than the nitrates and such in processed foods.
  • Jill_newimprovedversion
    Options
    yep pickles! And I JUST made 16 jars of homemade Dills YUMMMM

Save the pickle juice and drink it when you're done eating the pickles.
    One of my crazy kids used to do this- I had to take it away from her.
  • mongoosette
    Options
    kimchi - veggies are soaked in a brine = salty, but otherwise extremely healthy

Kimchi is made of various vegetables and contains a high concentration of dietary fiber, while being low in calories. One serving also provides over 50% of the daily recommended amount of vitamin C and carotene. Most types of kimchi contain onions, garlic, and peppers, all of which are salutary. The vegetables being made into kimchi also contribute to the overall nutritional value. Kimchi is rich in vitamin A, thiamine (B1), riboflavin (B2), calcium, and iron,[12][13] and contains a number of lactic acid bacteria, among those the typical species Lactobacillus kimchii.[14][15][16] Health magazine named kimchi in its list of top five "World's Healthiest Foods" for being rich in vitamins, aiding digestion, and even possibly reducing cancer growth.[17]

Kimchi jjigae. A popular stew made with kimchi, it is commonly cooked with kimchi, fresh vegetables and pork or tuna although countless variants exist.
    One study conducted by Seoul National University claimed that chickens infected with the H5N1 virus, also called avian flu, recovered after eating food containing the same bacteria found in kimchi. During the 2003 SARS outbreak in Asia, many people even believed that kimchi could protect against infection, although there was no scientific evidence to support this belief.[18][19] However, in May 2009, the Korea Food Research Institute, Korea’s state food research organization, said they had conducted a larger study on 200 chickens, which supported the theory that it boosts chickens' immunity to the virus.[20]
    Nutritional composition of typical kimchi[21]
    Nutrients per 100 g * Nutrients per 100 g
    Food energy 32 kcal Moisture 88.4 g
    Crude protein 2.0 g Crude Lipid 0.6 g
    Total sugar 1.3 g Crude fiber 1.2 g
    Crude ash 0.5 g Calcium 45 mg
    Phosphorus 28 mg Vitamin A 492 IU
    Vitamin B1 0.03 mg Vitamin B2 0.06 mg
    Niacin 2.1 mg Vitamin C 21 mg
    * Per 100 grams of edible portion.
  • ak_in_ak
    ak_in_ak Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Pacific brand tomato soup
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    Kimchi for sure. That stuff is awesome.

Sodium gets a bad rap around here because of water retention issues but for people who are working out a low sodium diet isn't actually a great thing. So you don't need to stress about bringing it up a bit for health reasons.
  • keengkong
    keengkong Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Try the salt shaker. Using it can make any food have a high sodium content.