Healthy biscuits/Low fat

Options
Hi everybody,

Sorry to have to ask as biscuits are not really part of a diet but I hope I'm not the only one to need a biscuit of two from time to time. I tend to a couple of Nice biscuits when I get back from running/gym and I know there are only 40 calories each but wondered if anybody can recommend better biscuits. I don't always trust diet ones as they sometimes contain little calories but loads of sugar. Any suggestions/help please.

We are only human so I hope I can find other biscuits sneakers :-)

Cheers. Angy

Replies

• BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    If you like to bake, there are some good recipes here:
    http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipes/tag-5450/healthy-biscuit-recipes.aspx

There are only 45 calories in a Jaffa cake and you get your chocolate cake.

Here's what the Guardian had to say on the matter a couple of years ago:

Biscuits

Is there really such a thing as a healthy biscuit? The Good Nutrition Guide compared the credentials of some of the big names in the biscuit world, and discovered a huge variation in the amounts of salt, sugar and fat lurking in the average pack. Often customers who chose the 'healthy' option were actually eating more calories than the ones who stuck with the standard version. The figures for salt are slightly better, although Fox's Butter Crinkle Crunch boast a relatively high 1.3g per 100g. Salt is also prominent in the McVitie's range, with Digestives, HobNobs and Rich Tea biscuits all containing at least 1g of salt per 100g.

Lowest sugar: McVitie's Original Digestives

Highest sugar: McVitie's Jaffa Cakes

Lowest saturated fat: WeightWatchers Oat Crunch

Highest fat: Cadbury Milk Chocolate Biscuit Collection

Lowest fat: McVitie's Jaffa Cakes (above)

Lowest salt: Baiocchi hazelnut and cocoa filling

Highest salt: Fox's Butter Crinkle Crunch; McVitie's Milk Chocolate Digestives and Original Digestives

Best choice: McVitie's Jaffa Cakes
  • 13Natty
    Options
    Hi Ange I am only new to calorie counting but you have just scared me a little I just want clarification of what you just said. That diet biscuits can be low in calories but high in sugar. So are you saying that instead of just looking at calories I should be looking further? I thought if something was of within a certain calorie it was ok. Not that it is ok AS LONG AS.......? Please help
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Well I can't respect a study that calls a cake a biscuit...
  • purple_punk
    purple_punk Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    crackers, water crackers, savoury biscuits for cheese
    jacobs carr all do nice varieties with salt and black pepper or poppy seeds or even tesco and supermarket own brands- usually around 20-30 cals per biscuit
    or you could buy rice cake, corn thins- search "thins" on tesco website
  • BerryH
    Options
    Well I can't respect a study that calls a cake a biscuit...
    I think it dates from before the EU ruling. I believe that if it goes hard when it's stale it's a cake; if it goes soft when it's stale it's a biscuit.
  • IronSmasher
    Options
    Well I assumed everyone knew that, so it seems like there's no point in even looking up the experiment to examine their method.
  • BerryH
    Options
    When it's a question of tax, which is payable on biscuits but not on cake which is a "staple", it's a vital and expensive distinction. I refer you to the 2008 teacake debacle.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/7340101.stm
  • IronSmasher
    Options
    Are we speaking the same language?
  • IronSmasher
    Options
    Anyway, since there is no such thing as a healthy biscuit, I think the best thing for you to get is exactly what you want/are craving and keep your portion to a minimum and log it.

This would give you the best satiety. There's nothing worse than eating something unhealthy that doesn't satisfy your craving.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    The language point is very valid - biscuits are something else entirely in the US!

I'd go for somehting with a satisfying crunch - rye crispbread or rice cake - smeared with either something sweet (jam or marmalade) or peanut butter. Chocolate spread if you need that hit of sugar.
  • martymum
    martymum Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    A biscuit is something you dunk in your brew...I dunk jaffa cakes so that makes them a biscuit to me...lol

btw do you know they have cherry and strawberry jaffa cakes in lidls.

martyxx
  • IronSmasher
    Options
    I get Rivita wholemeal crackerbread as snack carbs and something to dip in humous, salsa or cottage cheese, but if the lady wants a biscuit, nothing else is going to do.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    If you must eat biscuits I would suggest wafer types, as they have little to no fat.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    US version of a biscuit - similar to a scone or muffin

UK version of a biscuit - similar to a cracker or cookie

different meanings with vastly different nutritional properties. Please be conscious of this. I believe the poster was referring to UK biscuits.
  • beccalucy
    beccalucy Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Nairn's do sweet flavoured oatcakes rather than savoury. The stem ginger ones are my fav but there's chocolate chip too if you'd like a chocolate hit, mixed berries and fruit and spice.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    US waking up here. For us there are not healthy biscuits. They are white flour, lard and salt. Baked and about 3-6 inch around. Then depending on the area, you smother them in sausage gravy, butter, or a bit of jelly.

Some add a slice of sausage. This brings the biscuit to approx. 800 calories!

Yours sounds much yummier!
  • tolkienite
    tolkienite Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I tend to go with original digestives or rich tea. Rich tea are good for when I feel like I need to still act healthy, digestives are for want-to-stay-on-track-but-am-all-depressed. Both are surprisingly filling too - I never crave more than one.