Tips for reducing fatigue?

Options
As I loose weight and start eating less, I am feeling more tired and fatigued. When I get these symptoms there is nausea that can only be solved by eating. Is there any tips to reduce nausea and tiredness?

Replies

• SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    What is your height, current weight, and goal weight?
    How many calories are you eating and how quickly are you losing weight?
    Are you exercising as well?
    It's possible you are not eating enough and being too aggressive in your weight loss.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    You could be dehydrated, so drink more water. You could be eating too little. Trying to lose weight quickly often backfires. If you move less because you are under-eating, you will burn fewer calories. You are also a lot less likely to stick with your plan.

What are your stats and what is your goal?
  • zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    how many calories per day are you eating, and have you started eating low carb? are you eating back some of your exercise calories?

if you eat more calories, does that take care of it? if not, talk to your doctor!

when i stopped eating my normal calories after i first found MFP, i was dizzy and tired all the time - dropping from around 2000 to 1200 or less calories (i usually shot for 1000 per day) was too dramatic a change. i started eating my full 1200 calories, and that took care of it.
  • Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 2,933 Member
    Options
    For me it was exercising so I could eat those exercise calories. Exercise I liked--dancing, swimming, etc.
    All exercise calories were carefully considered, veggies, fish, etc. No candy, etc. My body needed vitamins.
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    When I need to get back into a deficit, I tend to feel more sluggish for about two weeks, then I adjust. Exercising to earn back more calories also helps!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options
    My first thought is that you selected a weekly weight loss goal that is too aggressive. IOW, you're undereating.

9kjwnia17qv9.jpg

That said, I had crippling fatigue when my anemia got out of control. If this might be an issue for you, get blood work - simply supplementing with iron when you don't need it can cause other problems.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,195 Member
    Options
    Make sure sleep quality/quantity is as good as it can be.

Eat enough calories. A deficit is fine, but trying to lose aggressively fast is counterproductive. (If you're fatigued, you move less/rest more, burn fewer calories than expected, among other counterproductive effects.)

Get overall decent nutrition: Enough protein, healthy fats, plenty of varied, colorful fruits and veggies.

Drink/eat enough fluids.

If you're eating low carb, try increasing electrolytes. (Look up "keto flu" for suggestions, even if you're not full keto.) Also, some people find low carb tanks their energy level. If this is a possibility, try moderate carb for a couple of weeks and see if things improve. Focus on nutrient-dense foods that contain carbs, things like fruits, beans, whole grains, etc.

Reduce stress, either by cutting stressful things out/down in your life, or using stress-management techniques like mild exercise, prayer/meditation, journaling, calming music, being outdoors in nature, etc. Stress is fatiguing. Stress from all sources is cumulative, and a calorie deficit is a physical stress. Even if it's a sensibly moderate deficit, stacking it on top of other major stressors can overload a person, and lead to fatigue.

Don't do lots of intense new exercise. It's not essential for either weight loss or fitness (can be counterproductive for either or both, in fact). Increase exercise gradually, shooting for just a moderate, manageable challenge to current capabilities. It should be energizing (except for a few minutes "whew" right after the exercise), not exhausting.

Get blood tests for nutritional deficiencies, and maybe thyroid.

Can you get away with skipping or ignoring some of this stuff? Sure. It's all optional, in one sense. But if you have a highly negative side effect, the above are things to experiment with and adjust, in order to feel better. Some may be more important in your case than others.