Struggling with carbs

Options
Spicey_74
Spicey_74 Posts: 8 Member
edited August 2023 in Food and Nutrition
I am struggling to keep my carbs down. I have given up breads(other than low carb wraps), pasta, rice, potatoes, cereals. Any suggestions? Thanks in advanced. Also not using regular white sugar and no breaded or fried foods.
Tagged:

Replies

• WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    What is your reason for wanting to keep your carbs down? What are you goals, meaning how many calories per day, how many grams of Fat/Carb/Protein? What is your overall goal? Weight loss? Maintenance? Building Muscle Mass?
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,409 Member
    Options
    Is there a medical reason to keep carbs down? Don't you feel full after eating carbs? Other than that there's not really a reason to restrict carbs, provided you get enough protein and fats. Potatoes are actually nutritionally really good for you! Nothing wrong with all the other things you mention, apart from maybe cereals as part of a meal and not a snack if those are the sugary, colourful cereals
  • hessiondesign4
    hessiondesign4 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are doing the right things. Some carbs are good for you (like brown rice, or other whole grains, etc). Perhaps try incorporating more protein sources to balance out the healthy carbs that are in your diet. Then at least your percentages will balance out. Fruits and veggies count towards carbs, but they are essential for vitamins and nutrients (as are some whole grains). The only other suggestion (which you probably already do) is to not drink your fruit, if you have fruits and vegetables eat them in their raw (or lightly cooked) state so you get the fiber etc and not just the sugars of them. When I was trying to get 5-7 servings of vegetables and fruit a day what I would do is have a daily salad and see how many different things I could put in it - it was an easy way to fill up my quota and my belly, bonus it made my skin and hair look great (I should start that up again! LOL)
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,925 Member
    Options
    Are you a vegetarian? Fruit adds up pretty quick.
  • StarryNight37
    StarryNight37 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Use the info in MFP to see where your carbs are creeping in.
    I limit to under 100gr of carbs a day as I have blood sugar issues, so I get wanting to keep them down.
    When mine start creeping up I look at the nutritional reports to see what I've eaten that's high(er).
    I eat bread daily and still stay in range .. I haven't had a banana in a year because they cray cray carby ;)
    No one can really help when they don't know what you're eating :)
  • gregphopkins
    gregphopkins Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Carbs cause an insulin release. Best to eat three meals a day, no snacks. Keep carbs at lunch and dinner to 4 grams or less. This smooths energy swings and also reduces carb cravings. At dinner, limit time eating to one hour, and go ahead and include sweet potatoes, squash, beets, and a portion of protein. Eat a balanced portion of each. If you're still struggling, eat a big salad or green beans before the rest of the meal at night. Some people can wolf down simple carbs, fruits, and juices and it doesn't faze them. Others are sensitive and if you are, you have a hard time limiting yourself once you start eating carbs. The book Carbohydrate's Diet is pretty good though they don't address the quality of what you're eating, which is key. Fresh lake trout and kale from the garden is different than packaged junk from Safeway. Last, eating the same thing with few variations, e.g. fried zucchini and two eggs for breakfast, is easier than always switching things up and running the risk of self delusion and carb binging.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    Carbs cause an insulin release. Best to eat three meals a day, no snacks. Keep carbs at lunch and dinner to 4 grams or less. This smooths energy swings and also reduces carb cravings. At dinner, limit time eating to one hour, and go ahead and include sweet potatoes, squash, beets, and a portion of protein. Eat a balanced portion of each. If you're still struggling, eat a big salad or green beans before the rest of the meal at night. Some people can wolf down simple carbs, fruits, and juices and it doesn't faze them. Others are sensitive and if you are, you have a hard time limiting yourself once you start eating carbs. The book Carbohydrate's Diet is pretty good though they don't address the quality of what you're eating, which is key. Fresh lake trout and kale from the garden is different than packaged junk from Safeway. Last, eating the same thing with few variations, e.g. fried zucchini and two eggs for breakfast, is easier than always switching things up and running the risk of self delusion and carb binging.

Protein causes an insulin release also, did you know that? The spike for protein is not as dramatic as carbs, but it still happens. Why three meals a day? Do you have any science to back that up? A lot of folks on this site have successfully lost weight and maintained their weight eating less often (and more often) than that. You say to hold carbs to 4 grams for lunch and dinner and then you tell the person to eat carbs - squash, sweet potatoes and beets... huh??? Are you suggesting that they eat only 4 grams of any one of those? This really seems like a 'bro science' fueled list of silly rules.

For the OP, I ask the same questions that others have asked - do you have a medical reason to avoid carbs, such as T2 diabetes? If not, then why are you avoiding carbs? Carbs are not the devil regardless of how many people in popular culture have tried to demonize them.
  • neanderthin
    edited August 2023
    Options
    ccrdragon wrote: »

Protein causes an insulin release also, did you know that? The spike for protein is not as dramatic as carbs, but it still happens. Why three meals a day? Do you have any science to back that up? A lot of folks on this site have successfully lost weight and maintained their weight eating less often (and more often) than that. You say to hold carbs to 4 grams for lunch and dinner and then you tell the person to eat carbs - squash, sweet potatoes and beets... huh??? Are you suggesting that they eat only 4 grams of any one of those? This really seems like a 'bro science' fueled list of silly rules.

For the OP, I ask the same questions that others have asked - do you have a medical reason to avoid carbs, such as T2 diabetes? If not, then why are you avoiding carbs? Carbs are not the devil regardless of how many people in popular culture have tried to demonize them.

I had the same response as you did, but didn't post because to me these half truths and flailing recommendations are pretty much normal in a lot of these types of posts but generally just lack basic knowledge and I chalk it up to enthusiasm for something that might be working for them and the need to get the "word" out and just trying to genuinely help people.

I suspect the recommendation to eat 4 carbs for 2 meals and then add carbs in the last is to accommodate the total allowable carbs that they may be consuming. For example if 50 total carbs is for argument sake that number then doing it this way you can indulge in potatoes, rice or a grain for the last meal, but that is just speculation on my part.

If the audience is predominantly overweight and obese then carbs fall under the purview that their is a need to understand and control carbs whether that be 20g's a day or 200g's and that is dictated by the individuals health status unfortunately most PCP don't go that deep on an individual basis and most PCP just say to reduce carbs and mostly because they themselves lack that specific knowledge as well and that result or recommendation is seen as overreach and demonization when it fact there is a nuance that needs to be engaged in for the vast majority. imo. Cheers.
  • neanderthin
    edited August 2023
    Options
    As far as the insulin response to protein is concerned. Protein does in fact increase insulin but keep in mind these are examined in isolation. Basically protein doesn't actually increase blood sugar for the most part and when consumed with carbs it really doesn't increase insulin it actually reduces the insulin response.

In isolation where only protein is consumed another process occurs in the absence of dietary glucose and because of the ongoing need in certain organs and systems for immediate glucose needs and to accommodate the need a process called gluconeogenesis happens, which is the formation of new glucose via the substrate protein or fat and it's quite normal to have a spike during this phase, but again, it doesn't actually increase actual blood sugar to any measurable extent. That's my basic take on the process from what I've gathered. imo. Cheers
  • DFW_Tom
    DFW_Tom Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    ccrdragon wrote: »

As @neanderthin explained, the spike in insulin is considerably reduced with proteins and fat as compared to a quickly digested carb. The effect carbs have on insulin resistance varies from person to person, making it all but impossible for their doctor to quantify and give specific recommendations on what type of carbs to reduce and by how much.

Multiple meals a day also reduces insulin spikes by helping to reduce the amount of carbohydrates consumed at any one time. It also makes it easier for the digestive system to harvest more of the amino acids from consumed proteins.

There are many studies and reports that back up these facts, but it seems that your mind is made up about limiting carbs, and anything you don't agree with gets marked down to "bro science". If I'm wrong, a quick google search will get you the science.

4 grams of carbs at lunch and dinner isn't healthy or the right thing to do. Neither is eating potatoes or beets for someone having trouble keeping their carbs down. Not sure about squash.

Why would anyone care if someone else wants to reduce their carbs? Sounds like you are encouraging them to do the opposite of what they are asking help with.

Carbs might not be the devil, but they are close relatives when it comes to insulin resistance, metabolic syndrome and all the comorbidities that go with it.
  • DFW_Tom
    DFW_Tom Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Spicey_74 wrote: »
    I am struggling to keep my carbs down. I have given up breads(other than low carb wraps), pasta, rice, potatoes, cereals. Any suggestions? Thanks in advanced. Also not using regular white sugar and no breaded or fried foods.

Not knowing exactly what form your struggles with carbs make themselves known, I can only suggest to reduce/eliminate all carbs (except low glycemic vegetables) until you are no longer struggling. Replace those calories with proteins and healthy fats. Then you can slowly add healthy carbs back to your meals as your system can handle them.

Speaking only for myself, when I first cut carbs I couldn't handle any fruit except blue berries. No grains - including things like plain popcorn or steel cut oatmeal. Root vegetables like carrots could also set me off on a carb binge. I ate (and still do eat) a lot of spinach. Reducing my usual carb intake made a huge difference in my health and I can now enjoy pretty much any kind of food I care to consume without getting uncontrollable carb cravings. Eating healthy fats and protein with carbs helps reduce insulin spikes from the carbs. You will likely be different. Experiment with different sources of carbs as your insulin resistance improves.
  • neanderthin
    Options
    DFW_Tom wrote: »

Not knowing exactly what form your struggles with carbs make themselves known, I can only suggest to reduce/eliminate all carbs (except low glycemic vegetables) until you are no longer struggling. Replace those calories with proteins and healthy fats. Then you can slowly add healthy carbs back to your meals as your system can handle them.

Speaking only for myself, when I first cut carbs I couldn't handle any fruit except blue berries. No grains - including things like plain popcorn or steel cut oatmeal. Root vegetables like carrots could also set me off on a carb binge. I ate (and still do eat) a lot of spinach. Reducing my usual carb intake made a huge difference in my health and I can now enjoy pretty much any kind of food I care to consume without getting uncontrollable carb cravings. Eating healthy fats and protein with carbs helps reduce insulin spikes from the carbs. You will likely be different. Experiment with different sources of carbs as your insulin resistance improves.

Bread is my kryptonite, it's difficult to just eat one piece. Fortunately I'm picky when it comes to bread and 95% of the bread available is a poor substitute so I'm not as tempted but when my partner comes home with a real baguette all crunchy on the outside and nicely formed on the inside I'm tempted to consume the whole damn thing, with butter of course, and I have on a couple of occasion. Surprising when I consume pasta, a hard pasta, I don't have that same response, so it really is specific to how that carb is formulated. Pasta is my go to preworkout carb as well. Cheers.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options

If you change your Diary Sharing settings to Public it will be easier for us to make suggestions. In the app, go to Settings > Diary Setting > Diary Sharing > and check Public. Desktop: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings

If you're not open to doing that, please share what your carb goal is and why.