Scale not moving

Options
2»

Replies

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,517 Member
    Options
    Hi, am new to losing weight, but have been told that all calories aren't equal and that you should eat a gram of protein for every centimetre of height, so 171g for you, this would mean less fat and carbohydrates. Thus kickstarting the weight loss, that is if you are counting calories and eating to a deficit.
    Also taking creatine alleviates muscle soreness.

Hi there, welcome! Why don't you start an own thread instead of hitchkining another one with a completely different theme? You could for example go here: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/categories/general-diet-and-weight-loss-help and post a new thread.
  • zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 1,034 Member
    Options
    Hi, am new to losing weight, but have been told that all calories aren't equal and that you should eat a gram of protein for every centimetre of height, so 171g for you, this would mean less fat and carbohydrates. Thus kickstarting the weight loss, that is if you are counting calories and eating to a deficit.

losing weight is much simpler than that. eat less calories than you burn, and your body will use its stores. all calories - for weight loss purposes - really are the same. i've lost 98 pounds as of today, and i eat cheese, candy, pudding, chips (er... crisps), pizza. whatever fits in my calorie goal. as long as i eat at a deficit, i lose weight.

the formula you give - eating a gram of protein for every inch or centimeter - is for muscle building.

i repeat this a lot, but years ago, i had a bf who pretty much lived on snickers and other candy bars and potato chips (that may be crisps for you) - he munched them all the time, yet he was thin as a rail. he didn't drive, so he did a lot of walking and skateboarding to get around, and voila! was it a healthy diet? not even close. but if we're only talking calories/weight, remember CICO (calories in, calories out).
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,670 Member
    Options
    All calories are created equal. If you had a gallon of milk or a gallon of water, it's still a gallon. Calories are a unit of energy measurement. Whether from fat, protein or carbs, 10 calories is 10 calories. Now how they are utilized by the body will make a difference on variable scenarios.
    Also you only need .8-1.0 grams of protein per kilogram of body weight. So a 50kg person would only need 50 grams or a little less a day to be efficient.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,741 Member
    edited August 2023
    Options

At 5'6" and 142 pounds, it's unlikely that OP requires 171g of protein as a minimum, though that amount shouldn't be injurious. (I'm saying that as a 5'5" woman, so similar size, who's tried to research this fairly carefully.)

Research results** suggest something more in the range of 77-155g depending on situation and goals, though the upper end of that is somewhat speculative (i.e., "may benefit"). Certainly height - perhaps especially height irrespective of gender - isn't a great basis for estimating protein needs, since the main reason for protein is maintaining lean mass. People of the same height can differ quite widely in lean mass.

Calories are going to be the main direct determinant of fat gain/loss, but that's not saying nutrition is unimportant. Calories are about energy content, and all calories are equal, in the same sense that a mile of narrow, precarious mountain-goat track and a mile of superhighway are the same distance. That doesn't mean they're equal in other ways. Energy content is one attribute of food, but not the only one that matters across the board.

Research**** suggests that creatine does not help reduce DOMS, though it may aid in recovery in other ways. (I do supplement creatine myself, BTW.)

** https://examine.com/protein-intake-calculator/
    Research basis for that explained here: https://examine.com/guides/protein-intake/

**** https://examine.com/supplements/creatine/

I'm linking examine.com because they have a good reputation for analyzing recent research and providing consumer-friendly summaries that are neutral and evidence based. I have no affiliation with them except as a user of the site.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    Options

The amount of protein you should eat is highly debated. You are the first one I've heard suggest eating protein based on height, so kudos for creativity!

If eating high protein makes you lose weight it's because your body has a harder time digesting it, so the calorie content is overestimated. I tend to get indigestion if I go too high in either protein or fat.

But, you're not hurting anyone, so party on, bro!
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,554 Member
    Options
    If eating high protein makes you lose weight it's because your body has a harder time digesting it, so the calorie content is overestimated.
    It's a combo of two things.

First, the thermic effect. Via examine.com and google:

"Fat provides 9 calories per gram, and its TEF is 0–3%. Carbohydrate provides 4 calories per gram, and its TEF is 5–10%. Protein provides 4 calories per gram, and its TEF is 20–30%."

So that's the energy required to digest it. If you get an additional 60g protein in the same calorie amount as someone else, that's about 50 calories more being burned by you just to process it. Over time, that adds up.

Second, odds are someone deliberately eating high protein is also doing things to grow muscle, and each pound of muscle burns about 4 calories per day more than a pound of fat. If you have about 12 pounds of muscle more than someone else, and you're eating about 60g more protein, on the same number of calories you'll be burning an extra 100 per day.
  • Terrania24
    Terrania24 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    The MFP calorie data is mostly wrong.

Be sure you're checking calorie counts on package labels, or on the USDA database.
  • chris_in_cal
    chris_in_cal Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options

Yup, that's pretty much it. That's the secret.